See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 July 2009

We had reservations for last weekend July 10 and July 11. We arrived at the campground around 6pm and everything was CLOSED. I called a cell phone number listed on the door and an older lady told me the campground was closed and they "tried" to call everyone. When i asked why...i was first told someone burned their leg. Then she stated that someone burned their leg and when the state came out, they smelled sewer, and shut them down until monday. I did a google search of local campgrounds and ended up in Pink Hill at Cabin Lake County Park. This place was AMAZING and the staff kicks butt!!! It is clean and very nice. We have another reservation for next month. (and it is cheaper than Lake Leamon) Moral of the story, stay away from Lake Leamon...their business practices leave alot to be desired (we were never notified of the closing). They have been having problems for a long time, and it will be shortly that they are shut down.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
8  Thank nurseq
Reviewed 15 July 2009

I made reservations for July 10th weekend and could never obtain a "confirmation" -- They told me to call back the next day, but they "had sites available". I was never quite sure if I had a confirmation or not. The day before we were to arrive, I called to confirm, spoke with the owners son and was told, yes, we were all set.

The arrival date, after lunchtime, I received a call from the campground saying they had to cancel our reservations as they couldn't allow any RV's to arrive for the next week as they had "issues". She said she was trying to call everyone before they arrived --- we were already on the road!!! When I asked her to elaborate on the "issues", I was told that she wasn't allowed to tell me. So, needless to say, we turned around and fate was with us...

We would an awesome campground in SC, in Charleston. Plantation Oaks -- wonderful, reasonable and only a 10 minute drive to the Historic District.

Morale of the story....stay away from Lake Leamon Campground -- unreliable and something is "just not right" !!!

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Wooey
Reviewed 27 July 2008

This is not a same old predictable highway RV parking ground. Rather, Lake Leamon seems to be a locally owned water park and campground offering a fun spirit that encouraged me to get out and explore. It is on I-40 at exit 387, adjacent to the upscale Rivers Landing golf development.

The park is on a clear lake and includes water features to appeal to children (or to the "kid" in the rest of us). As a water park, there is a white sand beach, water fountain, paddleboats and canoes, a diving tower, and large "animal head" tops on the trash cans to add an element of fun to even litter disposal . I also saw a couple of ducks and a small brood of chickens.

For adventurous adults there was a floating platform in the lake supporting a tent, picnic table, lounge chairs, cooler and grill. I was told that the rental of the floating tent platform for the night included use of a canoe. (I stayed on dry land to pitch my own tent). I enjoyed a quiet and peaceful lake view and a great view of the stars after dark.

There was a section of RVs (closest to the highway) that appeared to be used by long-term seasonal campers. The few I encountered as I walked around smiled and offered friendly greetings. Other pull-through RV and tent areas were further around the lake and not crowded on the Thursday night when I was there.

The shower facilities were adequate (and not crowded) but not up to typical corporate campground standards. But I was told that the owner has plans to replace them with more modern facilities soon. Rental cabins are also in the plans I was told, with one pilot cabin already available.

I found the staff to be personable and excited about the plans for upcoming upgrades to the property. On departure I reported a light bulb that was out in one of the showers. While driving later in the day I received a call on my cell from the owner to thank me.

I suspect this property has local appeal as a water park for families with children (especially on summer weekends), so may be more crowded then.

I liked: Pretty lakeside setting, not crowded, white sand beach, fun atmosphere, personable staff.

Possible concerns: Highway noise was noticeable in the area closest to the highway (mostly used by long-term campers it seemed), but not a concern in the area further around the lake where I camped. Shower facilities need upgrade (but staff described a plan to address this in the near future).

Should be good for: Families with children who like water activities, fun-loving adults, tenters who like a special section, and any self-contained RVers who would enjoy a nice lakeview.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank mgoodson
Reviewed 22 July 2008

I was with loners on wheels Singles group-there was 11 of us----we loved the place--small no frills place--but this is what we wanted---the owner works---and treated us very nicely.yes it's sandy--and kinda hard to fine--I would love to go back--
we went to Duplin Winery for dinner and wine tasting---that was really nice as well
rich from Va.

Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank lamont4689
Reviewed 25 April 2007

This tiny little lake is just a pond. The campsites are nothing to write home about but the bath house (ONLY 1) is beyond disgusting! Just 1 tiny little nasty, filthy shower that we never used because it was just that gross, 2 outdoor sinks that were as nasty, and the toilets were, oh my gosh, just unsanitary, if you can read between the lines!!! I will not give you the details but you can imagine! There are some lovely permanent residents that have some possible alcohol dependency issues. Trust me, you don't want to stay here! Unreal!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family