All reviews self catering crazy golf steam room sand dunes mini golf snails putting green croyde bay line dancing the cottages table tennis swimming pool buffet style family room football pitch evening entertainment on site
Reviewed 29 September 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights for a seminar. I was allocated a cottage overlooking a quiet garden with rabbit holes and rabbits! Property is non smoking/non vaping.We got a taxi from Barnstaple station to the resort direct (£28 for a 30 minute ride)as the buses (21) are not frequent to the holiday village. Got checked in straight away. The 2 bedroomed cottage was next to the football pitch on resort. We were just allocated a double pull out sofa bed in the lounge rather than having a proper bedroom but it was comfortable as it was a proper mattress. The lounge had two sofas and a TV and a DVD player. Small bath towels were provided in the wardrobe and a hand towel and bath mat were in the bathroom. There is a heated towel rail and a shower. There was only soap provided no shampoo or shower gel, I had not bought any shampoo as thought that would be there as it’s provided in the hotel and I was charged the same amount of someone staying in the hotel. Hair dryer was missing from the room and no mirror next to a plug socket to straighten my hair was inconvenient. Hotel staff brought me down a hairdryer to use when I reported it missing. There was an ironing board, vacuum cleaner, dustpan and brush, mop and bucket and airer and loo roll was provided. There is a wooden bench and table to sit on outside the accommodation. You can walk to the lovely beach via the foot path near the garden cottages. There was a dishwasher with dishwashing tablets ,fridge freezer, oven and microwave, toaster and dining table however as I was eating breakfast, lunch and dinner on resort these facilities were not required except the kettle and the tea and coffee and milk sachets provided. Cottage was quiet as I had no one next door to me nor opposite me or above, which was good! Entertainment is also good, bingo on a Wednesday night, Elvis impersonator was on Thursday night and it was quiz night on Friday night followed by music requests and a disco. Food was good in the Bay Restaurant, it is a carvery where you can help yourself and have as much as you want. Indoor Swimming pool was nice and warm, there are unisex, individual showers and changing rooms in the leisure zone, sauna okay but no timer in there, gym looked good, steam room did not seem to be fully operational and appeared to need a service. There is also a hot tub spa.There is no life guard on duty but there is a staff member there. As this resort is owned by UNISON it is popular with members as well as non members, it is used for conferences as well as popular with coach parties for older adults. It has had a big refurbishment since my last visit 2 years ago with the old chalets removed and replaced with 3/4 bedroomed lodges which are very big and ideal for friends and families with 2 nice bathrooms and en-suite. I would recommend this place, within easy walking distance via the footpath to the beautiful beach of Croyde where you can surf or paddle or walk or sit and watch the sunset. Very quiet and secure place to stay. There is a shop on site but not well stocked, ideally need a car to get around as quite remote if you want to access shops and cash points and eat elsewhere or visit sites.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 September 2018 via mobile

I booked this hotel as a surprise for my husband so he could enjoy watching the Devon leg of the Tour of Britain race.
As the cyclists would be passing the hotel I thought it would be ideal. ( I’d been told that none of the rooms faced the road but that didn’t matter.)
On arrival the young man on reception was helpful. It was a bit of a trek to our room but there are disability lifts for those who can’t manage the stairs.
We passed a swimming pool ,with a life guard on duty ,next to a gym suite.
Our room was spacious and very clean with tea/coffees facilities, hairdryer and a fridge. It looked out onto the self catering chalets.
As we’d eaten a large lunch we didn’t go to the restaurant.
The guests range from families with young children/teenagers to pensioners. The room was quiet- didn’t hear the kids disco in the restaurant.
Breakfast was very nice , the chef matter of fact and helpful with our dietary requirements. One guest informed me that “the meals get better as the week went on!” He said that one night no one could eat what was on offer.
That evening we were going to dine at the resort but were instantly put off by another chef constantly picking his nose and not washing his hands before serving a diner. We ate in the village.
We were looking forward to another breakfast before our journey home but, as the nasal explorer was on duty again we passed.
The staff were polite but none seemed happy in their work.
On departure we weren’t asked if we’d enjoyed our stay.
We won’t be returning.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2018

Just spent a week at the Unison Croyde Bay Holiday Site. They have now installed a number of Lodges onto their site replacing some old chalets they did have that were beginning to look very sad. The latest accommodation is really great with everything you could need to be home from home and yet still on Holiday. They have lots of indoor entertainments available as well as Putting, Bowling, Crazy Golf, etc outdoors, this also includes outdoor Table Tennis. The site is minutes away from a beautiful sandy beach, whether you walk along the road to some steps leading down or tackle the high sand dunes, either way it's great exercise. Overall a nice place to stay with good accommodation be it in these new Lodges of in their own Hotel complex.

Room Tip: Lodges are best for space and Patios
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 September 2018

Sorry folks, visit their website and add 100 screaming kids in each photo. They should at least have some time for adults. An early check out too, 10 AM where the norm tends to be 12 noon. Plain rooms with utilitarian style furniture, hard mattress. poor lighting (ok I know about saving electricity, but hey, I couldn't read). The spa is for women only and is an outcall service, so no staff on duty. Food was fried. Their little canteen offered some food items but as might expect over priced. For the price, it appears to be a 3 star, but the quality is only a 2+. A multi-level facility with not enough parking and poor access in the buildings.
Overall POOR.

Room Tip: at another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2018 via mobile

We arrived the saturday..you can't check in till 4pm.which should be earlier..we stopped in the cottages which was spacious and clean.lovely place to stop.some.of the staff were helpful.pools nice to go in.The only thing that wasn't very good was the food,it was processed of frozen food and cost too much for what it was.i won't eat there again but I will stop there again as you can cook yourself when having self catering.beautiful beaches close by.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple