See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 October 2014

Don't... Simply don't... I had a dreadful experience at this hotel.

I arrived at about 6pm on a Sunday evening with my booking email. The receptionist was less than helpful and curtly told me that the hotel was full and the email was definitely not a booking. (This despite the fact that it stated so in both English & German). A lengthy conversation ensued and she checked their folders and confirmed the error was mine, the hotel was full and this definitely was not a booking. Presumably, I was to just go away.

During a long call to the booking agent, her main concern was that my mobile was too loud for her - somewhat ironic given she never offered to call from the hotel's phone. During that call she disappeared and returned to say she had found an "emergency" room I could use.

The state of the room was awful. The bathroom was dirty & in disrepair with a broken shower, broken shower curtain, large hole in the wall etc, the facilities were less than those booked, the curtains were hanging off the rail, stained carpets etc etc.

The following morning I went down to speak to the manager, who likes his employee was considerably less than helpful. He confirmed again that there was no booking. He stated he was "not interested" in the shortcomings with the room.

I reflected his disinterest in paying for the room given the appalling service he and his receptionist had offered me, the cost of the calls to booking agent to sort out their problem with over-booking, the utterly dreadful state of the room and his frank disinterest in my concerns. He told me to "just leave".

I regret booking this hotel and could not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Mark-fxyz
Reviewed 16 September 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Quellenhoff with an RCI timeshare trade. The room was nice, but the bedroom loft was a little scary. Middle of the night visits to the bathroom were tricky, because of the steep staircase to the loft. So, if you are not sure of going up and down a staircase, request a single level room, if they have one. The bathtub was deep, so once again it was something to be careful of. I suggest, putting a towel down on the side of the tub, sitting down and swivel over the side. That aside, the bed was comfy, there was a nice balcony, the breakfast buffet was good, 8 euros, and there is a good restaurant available in the hotel. The town of Grainau is beautiful and I want to go there again. There are plenty of places in town for you to get a breakfast of brotchen and pastries for less than 8 euros. With RCI, we were given a pass that gave us train, boat, pool and bus tickets. I loved the town and the hotel was good enough.

Room Tip: no loft would be good
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2014

Stayed for a week in one of the timeshare rooms. Ours had a living room with table (eckbank) and chairs and one lounge chair. Not comfortable for long periods. Small TV, no English stations. The bedroom was a loft with narrow stairs, had to be careful coming down, especially with suitcases. Bed was not too comfortable. There was a small (tiny) refrigerator but no cooking facilities. Balcony looked out to the beautiful Alps! The hotel has an elevator, pool, sauna, steam, beer garden, and restaurant. We ate breakfast once and decided it wasn't worth the price. They gave us each a pass good for many things including the cog train to Lake Eibsee, a motor boat ride on the lake, bus rides to Garmisch and one trip to the town spa. The area is great with many hiking and biking trails and beautiful scenery. Probably would stay here again unless another time share was available in the area.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2014

One of the main points of staying in a hotel is to get a reasonable night's sleep. I did not get one good night's sleep - mainly down to the really uncomfortable beds. Thin wooden slats, covered by a mattress no more than three inches thick, do not make a comfortable bed - nowhere for shoulders and hips to go when sleeping on your side. So I have to give an overall low rating.
The hotel has some lovely views towards the Zugspitze and other mountains; it has some nice walks nearby - though, having now seen its location compared to the 'centre' of Grainau, next time I would choose a hotel in the centre.
Our room overlooked the road, which was generally not a problem, though traffic did start up around 6:00am. The railway nearby was also not a problem.
The room was a bit worn out with inadequate lighting so it was very gloomy, the bathroom rather small.
There was a group of guests for whom all conversations, at whatever time of day or night, whether in their room, on their balconies, or in the corridors, had to be at full volume, even if there were only two of them. So this added to the disturbance.
The breakfasts were basic and simple, nothing to get excited about - but I wish they had more fruit.
We ate in the restaurant for a few dinners - an impressive choice of menu, with emphasis on what they called "Balkan" meals (I think the restaurant owners are from the former Yugoslavia). We enjoyed the choices on offer so I can recommend the restaurant if you are staying nearby
But I would not return to the hotel.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank malawi40
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed here in one of the Timeshare rooms, room 205. The room overlooked the Biergarten and had a pleasant balcony. We weren't disturbed by noise from the garden (the weather kept people out of it most of the time!).

Our room had a small kitchen area but only had a sink and a useful fridge. It had a seating area and table. As other reviews have said, arguably the hotel decor needs refreshing, but that didn't detract from our stay. We didn't use the pool or sauna.

We didn't have a lot to do with hotel staff apart from the restaurant team who were very pleasant and hard working. Breakfast was an excellent buffet, hot and cold. The restaurant in the evenings was often busy. It has a Balkan menu but with plenty of local dishes too. The food was excellent, plentiful and reasonably priced. A good selection of beers too.

The hotel is a couple of Kilometres away from the centre of Grainau - a short drive or pleasant 30 minute walk. It's about 4K from Garmisch-Partenkirchen. It's also very well placed for most of the chair lifts and cog railways in the area. A good spot.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple