See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 September 2014

In photos Pipaxi looks quite luxurious and absolutely huge with all kinds of services. It was a big hotel and the location was beautiful, but it felt really quiet and once you explored the room there were all kinds of little things in need of repair (all lights were not working, some lights switches just fell off from the wall, bathroom mirror had some weird stains, as did the curtains etc). Some of the staff members were friendly and helped the best they could when we had questions, but some of them basically ran away if we opened our mouths.. So not much English spoken. The breakfast was Chinese style, but not really our cup of tea. The restaurant wasn't open in the evening, but there are many restaurants around in the village. We didn't find the language barrier a problem in the restaurants, they had either english translations in the menus or picture menus, plus usually were friendly and smiling service :)
The location is good, just 10 minutes walk from the South entrance, though probably a hotel near the Wulingyan entrance would have been even handier (there were more hiking tracks on that direction in my opinion and the buses in and around the park were a bit confusing to use sometimes).
All in all, our stay of 4 nights was OK; the room was kept clean and you could get a very good night's sleep there because it was so quiet around :)

Date of stay: September 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank RiMo_12
Reviewed 25 July 2014

When leaving the airport if you go outside and get in a taxi they will try and charge you a extortionate amount of money to get to this hotel. We bargained down and got it for 100 rmb from 400. 400 is too much so don't feel pressured into paying it, there is someone there who will go as low as 100.

Overall I was very impressed at how pretty this hotel was. The surroundings are lovely and it is in a great location for entering Zhangjiajie National Park. There was however some things that I came across which made my experience very difficult. It has to be said that speaking Mandarin would have severely helped me here. The staff speak little to no English and even with an app on my phone which translates, it did not really help and they seemed very confused. Also something I found very frustrating was the lack of wifi in rooms. There is a Ethernet cable but this is only good if you have a laptop really. There was wifi in the lobby which we discovered on our last day but it was too late then. This is fine but if you need to search for anything or have any problems it could leave you feeling a little helpless. If you find you need a bank of china it's important to note that the nearest cash point is at the entrance to the national park which is about a 15 minute walk away. There are other cash machines on the way but this would not work with my English bank account.

Another big complaint I had was the lack of restaurant at the hotel. The one on site was only open for breakfast but never in the evening. There is a shop at the hotel but it is closed so you have to go and communicate to staff that you want it open. It's good for snacks and I lived on instant noodle pots. There is restaurants a close walk away but again there is no English around so I would say there for people who can speak mandarin. The room was very comfortable and the view was spectacular though, so it made my experience more enjoyable. If you go to the national park and use the hop on hop off bus service and it takes you down to the main entrance then you will come out quite far from the entrance you would have initially used. There is a lot of taxis outside but they again do not speak English so it will be hard to get a taxi with a meter. It cost me 50 rmb to get back to the hotel from this entrance which I thought was reasonable as it's actually quite far.

Date of stay: June 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank 178alexandraa
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We traveled to Zhangjiajie at the end of May and made a last minute reservation at Pipaxi Hotel. They offered us very reasonable rate and dispatched a minivan to pick us up from city bus station, a 40 minutes drive away from hotel. Ms. Chen, the staff at reservation department learned that we had a need to ship our luggage to the hotels in the mountain the next day. It was not the service offered at this hotel but she and the hotel manager went extra miles to arrange a shipper for us. The next morning Ms. Chen updated us the information and assured us that everything is taking care by Pipaxi team. When we arrived at the next hotel, the front desk person told us that Ms. Chen called three times to confirm if our luggage has arrived. That tells us how well Pipaxi Hotel treats its guests. The hotel is in a good location to the national park. It is a four star hotel with five star service.

Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank 1st_hand_travellor
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This hotel has been around for a while and used to accommodate high officials and foreign dignitaries, so while some of the facilities may seem a bit dated, the level of service was exceptional. From the hotel manager down to the cleaning staff, everyone was extremely friendly and helpful, going far out of their way to solve some *very* difficult problems we had with making arrangements for our trip. I have to commend them for their patience and enthusiasm for making sure our every need was met.

Chinese-style breakfast was quite nice and had a lot of variety (though none of the typical Western dishes that some of the other reviewers may have expected).

Date of stay: May 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank TrapDivisor
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

It's a three star hotel so one cannot expect luxury so I think it deserves a good rating because it's in a good location, it's clean, friendly service, nice gardens, good breakfast, good heater/aircon, lots of tv channels (one English CCTV).

Bed is Chinese style hard

Only a few minor negatives to report. Closing the window was a bit tricky but doable. The walls are thin so you can hear occupants in the room next door but tbh if you want to avoid that, it is better to choose a 4/5 star hotel.

Date of stay: October 2013
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank sholdsto