“Accidental booking, Pleasant Coffee Shop Surprise”
Review of Furama Hotel Hunan

Furama Hotel Hunan
and 1 more site!
Furama Hotel Hunan
Ranked #21 of 1,414 Hotels in Changsha
Pensacola, Florida
“Accidental booking, Pleasant Coffee Shop Surprise”
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I arrived in Changsha around 07:30 by those wonderful overnight sleeper trains from Beijing with no hotel reservation but the intention of staying at Sheraton. Mei wen ti… I thought. But I had a little trouble getting a taxi, so in desperation I called the cell number of the young engineer who shared my sleeping cabin on the way over. He came right into the parking area of the Changsha Train Station and escorted me into Furama where he had booked a room.

I only stayed one night because I met friends next evening. But I was really pleased with my stay. Nice clean rooms, comfortable sleep for me.

An excellent response from managers when I had minor problem in hotel lobby coffee shop: I ordered some fresh-brewed coffee, settled in with my iPad to check emails and Internet accounts, and after 20 minutes of waiting walked over to bar to find a young man grinding coffee beans in a mortar and pestle. In another 5 minutes I had the best coffee I have EVER had in China and one of the best ever in a hotel. It was so just delicious that I ordered another cup, also excellent. However, when I got my next cup, it sucked. Apparently, the bar boy had decided to substitute the house pot coffee for their premium coffee. I asked for help, and a young Assistant Manager came to my table. Indeed, their premium coffee, freshly ground from beans of Jamaican Blue Mountain, were not used in my third cup. They delivered a free cup of their premium Blue Mountain. I was happy. I had a fourth cup and it was just as delicious as the first. (By the way, I emailed my grad student in the USA right from that coffee shop, and she told me that I could buy Blue Mountain beans from Amazon.com for $40 per pound. I did try it when I returned to the USA and it was NOT anywhere near as good as that coffee in Furama!)

I highly recommend Furama, for its proximity to the Changsha train station, excellent staff and comfortable rooms.

This is not a glitzy hotel either on a 5-Star Western model or traditional Chinese, but if you are a Western visitor, you will be comfortable here. I will go back just for the coffee.

Room Tip: My room was excellent. I think they all are. Try the premium coffee in the bar. It is the best in Ch...
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Joe L
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 May 2011

This is a very pleasant Chinese provincial hotel. My bedroom was comfortable although the bed may be too hard for those not used to Chinese beds. Traffic noise was a problem during the day. Breakfast was adequate, including a few western options like cereal & omelette. The biggest problem was the total lack of English TV or English speakers. I asked for help in finding CCTV International & never saw the room attendant again. Stuck here for half a day without a spa or pool was frustrating.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank zhuhai2007
Sonoma, California
Reviewed 23 March 2007

Furama Hotel Changsha May 2006
In May 2006 my business partner and I stayed at Furama Hotel in
Changsha for the second time (first time was September 2004). The rooms are clean and comfortable, the staff was very helpful and accomodating and meals were mostly pleasant except for limited dinner menu in the main dining room. Breakfast buffet was perfect with Eastern and Western choices which were abundant. While we were in Changsha to visit our factory, we spent most of our time working, however the hotel is within walking distance of a shopping center which made our free time fun for picking up souvineers. Also not too far away is the museum which houses the coffin of a woman whose coffin was unearthed many years ago. We recommend this hotel for travelers to Changsha.

• Liked — close proximity to many places in Changsha
  • Disliked — the bar
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank SonomaNancy