All reviewscamp storegreat campgroundwater slideshuge poolfire ringhot tubplanned activitiesdeluxe cabinthe outer bankshook upssound sidebathrooms and showersmain buildingdog parktravel trailertent campingalready booked for next year
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Our family stayed here mid july. The front staff was verry friendly and helpful. He stayed in a cabin which was very clean, a/c worked great, and they had enough room for 2 adults and 2 kids. The restrooms and showers were clean but sandy from the beach but it's expected. It had a great playground area for kids as well. You are walking distance to the beach. Our family will deffinetly return.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank J P
Reviewed 15 August 2011

The KOA Campground in Cape Hatteras was relatively decent.

The cabins are pretty small and fit around 3-4 people.

Most of the activities in the campground cost additional fees to use, but the free activities included going to the beach (Outer Banks), the pool, the playground, and the trampoline-like bounce pad.

This campground isn't for the "forest/wilderness" type camping, there isn't much trees or wilderness.

The Outer Banks was beautiful, clear water and very nice waves. At night/morning it is very nice to look out in the Outer Banks.

One really big negative point about this campground is that the staff (the people riding around in the golf carts with the yellow uniforms) are very rude.

The campground staff talk down on the guests. A nearby guest set up their tent on the wrong camp site (his camp site was just a couple yards from the his mistaken spot) and one of the staff told him to move his tent in a very rude attitude saying remarks like "Do you think I'm stupid? I know you put your tent on the wrong spot!", it was as if he were belittling the guest.

Another incident, was when my cousin and I got on the bounce pad and right when I was about to start bouncing, a staff member yelled at me to get off. I asked if we weren't allowed to use the bounce pad at the moment and he shouted back "Get off or do you want me to throw you off?". I told him we were just asking a question and why he was being so rude to us. As we were leaving to go for a night stroll, the same staff member followed us and threatened us that he can call the sheriff on us (threatening us for no reason). As my cousin tried to tell him that we didn't do anything, he shot back at him saying "Quiet! I don't need any of your wise lip!". Afterwards he asked us "Are you all Filipino?", as if implying some possible racism.

For the rest of the stay, whenever we saw that same staff member, he would glare at us.

Despite the bad staff, our stay at the campground was pretty fun.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
12  Thank Andrew C
Reviewed 13 August 2011

One side of the campground is on the Atlantic and one side is on Pamlico Sound. The views are stunning! The staff was friendly and helpful, even following us to our site and helping us get backed in and situated. The staff also patrols the campground all day in golf carts providing customer service and a helping hand where needed and all night making the campground safe. We had a wonderful time here enjoying the campground and the ocean. My only complaint is that it was a little pricey, otherwise I would have given 5 stars.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Angie H
Reviewed 11 August 2011

This was our first KOA experience and we just loved it. The staff were very friendly. the camp store had everything you could possibly need. The bathhouse had central air and was wonderful. the showers were seperate making it very convenient. We had a pavilion over our picnic table that came in very handy during a storm that blew in.
We have a popcamper and a tent and the site fit it all very nicely. biggest spot we have ever camped on. the wind did make it challenging for setting up the tent but overall we didnt have much of a problem. Next year we plan to be closer to the beach and dog walk. Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank froglover5
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Drove 4 hours to get here only to realize that our tent, a rather large one, would not stand up to the wind conditions here. As we gave up, an RV'er came by to tell us that he used to come there with tents but his would collapse and blow away at night, so now he comes in a camper. The staff was very helpful, as much as they could be, and gave us all our money back, as we decided we had to leave. I asked about the wind conditions, and they said it was pretty normal and actually increased a little at night, so be aware of that before you go. We did see a few other tents up there that were smaller than ours, and while they were "up", they were getting knocked around quite a bit. Didn't really see much of the campground so can't comment on that. The sites were small, so you will be close to other people, and I didn't see many trees at all and there was definitely nothing separating us from the sites closest to us. The pool was pretty small I thought.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family