“This Hotel Should Have Been GREAT! But…”

Hilton North Raleigh/Midtown
Ranked #30 of 87 Hotels in Raleigh
Reviewed 20 September 2017

When I’m on tour, I look to familiar hotels that have the amenities I require for life on the road. I quite often turn to Hilton for this and am rarely disappointed. This hotel, however, did not quite live up to expectations.

For starters, the hotel is under construction. This is neither mentioned on the website, nor did the person who took my reservation mention it. Had I known, I would not have booked it.

I will give kudos to Glen, the shuttle driver, who is very personable and helpful. The rest of the staff, not so much.

It took Mary at the front desk quite some time to acknowledge me at check-in. She was just too preoccupied with whatever phone call she was on. Afterwards, like most of the other front desk people, she was perfunctory at best. There was no mention of me being a Hilton Honors member, nor were here any perks to go with that.

On the positive side, the indoor pool and spa area is nice, though the pool could have been better heated and the workout room is OK.

The sports bar/restaurant, on the other hand was a tad below mediocre. The salsa served with the quesadilla seemed to have been frozen and it was served on very wilted lettuce. To their credit, the waitress and manager removed it from the bill. But it was unappetizing to say the least.

The breakfast bar seemed OK but way overpriced, especially when you consider there is a Denny’s right down the street where you can get two full meals (and good ones) for the price of one on property.

Also, the lobby coffee bar closes way too early.

NOTE: Both restaurants are closing for renovation soon, so I hope they mention it to future guests.

It took two phone calls and an hour and a half to get some extra coffee and clean cups for the room. I also had to call housekeeping to come freshen up the room.

Finally, I checked out using their telephone system and was told I would get my invoice via email. I have yet to receive it.

In summary, the place is not awful but for the money it should have been much better. With it being under construction, there should have been some deep discount as well.

Also, the staff needs to be more involved with their work. Last I heard, this was a service industry…

Room Tip: As far from the construction as you can get.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank lvb5th
Management response:Responded 21 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We value our Hilton Honors members, and it’s disappointing to learn that you left us feeling dissatisfied with certain aspects of your stay. Customer service is our top priority, and it sounds like we missed the opportunity to wow you in this regard. I will be sharing your feedback with the members of my team as we’re always looking for ways to improve. Regarding our construction, I apologize if you felt misled in any way about the condition of our property. We pride ourselves on providing the best in comfort and care and work hard to ensure all of our guests experience minimal disruption due to the work being done. It’s unfortunate to read about your concerns and we regret not having the chance to address them while you were still on site. We hope you’ll consider giving us the opportunity to win back your trust on a future visit.

Reviewed 20 September 2017

Service was excellent. Housekeeping and general upkeep not so much. I noticed elevators were dirty. First sign of neglect. Long work day, relaxed into my bed and looked down to see a cigarette burn in the comforter accompanied by red stains that seemed to be makeup. Night supervisor came up and graciously gave me my room service meal at no charge. Next morning opened my bath towel up to find a huge brown stain. I booked this hotel wondering why the rate was so good.....when I arrived i saw they were undergoing renovations so I thought I understood. Now I'm not sure i can trust the Hilton brand. I will say the food was good and service by front desk and room service were excelletn

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 21 September 2017

We appreciate your comments, Janet. While we are thrilled that you enjoyed our food, and that you experienced excellent customer service, it’s disappointing to know that you left us dissatisfied. Even though we are undergoing renovations, we still hold ourselves to the high standards of freshness and comfort our brand is known for. We apologize that this was not your experience and hope you’ll give us an opportunity in the future to win back your trust. Thank you.

Reviewed 19 September 2017

We just spent one night at this hotel. It's clean, nice location and very quite. It's located within minutes of shopping mall, restaurants and most anything else you would look for in the Raleigh area.

Room Tip: I had room 111, excellent location.
Management response:Responded 20 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We're thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found our location to work well for your needs. We hope you'll visit us again soon so you can continue to explore the local Raleigh area!

Reviewed 19 September 2017

Be careful when staying at this hotel. They do not provide adequate and upfront information to guests. When we attempted to stay, the hotel became a rowdy night club with no available parking. We were forced to leave after spending 30 minutes trying to find parking at 11pm after returning from dinner.

The location is great, and the hotel appears nice even with renovations in process.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Management response:Responded 20 September 2017

We appreciate your feedback. While we're happy to hear that you enjoyed our location and that your stay was undisturbed by our renovations, it's disappointing to know that there were certain aspects of your stay that didn't work for you. I will be looking into your comments further as the situation you described is not something guests share with us as a point of concern. We never want our guests to feel misled and we deeply apologize for the inconveniences you encountered. We hope you'll consider giving us another chance to win back your trust. Thank you.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

Visiting my daughter and needed a place to stay. The location was great near near shops restaurants and the mall (Crabtree Valley) only minutes away. Great breakfast choices. No USB though in the room

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Management response:Responded 14 September 2017

We're thrilled to hear that we were a convenient choice for your visit with your daughter and that you enjoyed the area surrounding our property. Our central location is one of the perks we offer our guests, as is our on-site breakfast. We appreciate your comments and hope you'll make us your destination of choice on future trips to the area. Thank you!