“What on earth happened? Just a bad day?”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Original New York Pizza
Ranked #1,008 of 1,542 Restaurants in Raleigh
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I've been a customer of this pizza place for a year and a half now, and always raved about it. It was my number-one place for pizza, and I considered it a treat to go there. But my last visit was so negative that I'm hoping that it was simply a bad day. I will review this place at a later date (much later) and upgrade, if appropriate.

Our last visit was so bad that I believe I will take a break from this place for a while. The chairs and floors were dirty, and a section of the floor was sticky. The garlic knots were so greasy that when I picked one up, it dripped on my shirt (even after I tried to remove as much oil as possible). Good thing I was not wearing expensive clothing; however, the shirt is now ruined. Fortunately, I saw the grease from a previous patron's dinner on my chair; otherwise, I might have ruined two pieces of clothing instead of one.

The pizza was also greasy, and not easy to pick up or even cut with a knife and fork. The cheese slid off the slices.

I wanted to give this place an average rating, at best, in recognition of much-better previous visits. However, I do confess that ruining a shirt is not exactly putting me in the best frame of mind, and combined with the unfortunate quality of the food, I cannot honestly upgrade the review at this time. At this moment, the best I can write is that perhaps the staff performance is uneven. There was another occasion when the staff actually ran out of cheese an hour before closing time. I admit I have not seen that happen very often, but even that would have not knocked my review down that low. Perhaps that was a very busy day. I can make some allowances, but this last visit ... I simply cannot do that in this case.

On the positive side, the crust was excellent, the staff was pleasant and the pizza came promptly. That is the most upbeat I can be about this last occasion.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

A very good pizza!! One of the best I have had. They have a great two slice special for about $8.00!!

Customer service was good at the counter... However the angry guys that make the pizza is something different. They will not even give you a smile or a hello for anything in this world.

Reviewed 11 January 2013

We used to drive all the way over to Cary to go to NY Pizza... so glad there is one in North Raleigh now! The pizza is great! We always get the Daily Special of two slices (one topping) and a drink for only $5.99. The only slightly annoying thing is that is NOT the special on some days (Tue and Thu). But even when not on special, it is a pretty good deal.
It is a pretty small place, but in the evening they seem to do a lot of take-out, so there is room to sit. Lots of TVs playing ESPN. A (very) small bar, too.
The staff at this location all seem nice.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

We have eaten at their other locations for a long time and so glad there is now one in north Raleigh. Love the pizza, nice crust, not too thick, with good sauce and toppings. Even when they are really busy, it doesn't take too long to get your food and there are lots of TVs to watch sports while you wait. The staff is always friendly. Only time we have ever had a problem, apparently our pizza was wrong so they had to make another one and it took a while. When I asked about the wait, they explained it was almost ready. When we left, the person in charge said he wanted to make it up to us and gave us a free pizza the next time we came in. We didn't expect it but he was adamant that he owed us a pizza so we accepted and enjoyed another delicious pizza on our next visit.

Reviewed 5 January 2013

Overall solid performance. Personally, I am not a bit fan of the pre-made slices that just get re-heated when you order in, so we order full pies or our personal favorite "panettos". Definitely recommend their hawaiian, meatball, and spinach! Also love their garlic knots. You gotta enjoy your garlic though since it is abundant! :)

Their salads are pretty sub-par, pre-packaged/refridgerated containers. Those need some work. Haven't tried their wings and I prefer the panettos over the calzones.

This is a great little neighborhood pizza joint and certainly better than most of the quick-service chains. Show them some love and stop in for a slice or two!