Lookout Lady Scenic River Tours of New Bern-Day Boat Tours - CLOSED

Reviewed 10 October 2015
icthec
Virginia
via mobile

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 January 2016

I am from New Bern and visit often. As an adult I wanted to take in the sights and explore the city as a tourist. I looked for boat tours. I actually went out on the New Bern Lady. I left from the same dock. We all gathered on the side walk where they checked to see if all had arrived. We were led down the dock and instructed to be careful because the floating dock is very unstable. Don't let that deter you because they help you along the way. I found a good seat and we were off. It was a beautiful day and the water was gorgeous. There was a lot of information about the places were saw and the history of a particular landmark. There were also a few interesting facts about some of the homes on the tour. I was impressed by the millionaire row as I am from New Bern and have never seen these homes. Yes, we went by Nicolas Sparks home and the new one his ex-wife is building, Menges homes (as in Pepsi) and Dr. Sloan (as in liniment). We turned around and came back to the dock. It was about 2 hours and they stated they have one for 3 hours. It was $25 and I gave them a tip. The day I was there, a young lady that doesn't normally help was there and the captain kept asking her things or saying "I am not sure about that". We saw a few beautiful boats docked out in the water and went past the house boat of a person that I think said had been living there for 18 years (could be wrong about the timeframe). That was very interesting. I did learn some things I did not know.

I don't know how the visitors felt, but I was a little disappointed. I felt that as a tour guide, he should have some solid interesting facts. It wasn't explained if the normal person is more of a tour guide or not. I was left hanging and had to fill a few of the blanks for myself.

If you are visiting, I don't think you would be that critical because what you will see and hear is enough for the average traveler. That is why I rated it very good. Seating for about 25. I do recommend this as a nice, warm weather activity. It was worth it.

2  Thank PurpleTrippin
Reviewed 23 October 2015 via mobile

Had a blue sky day, boat left at 3:00 p.m. for a 2 hour tour on a Friday. The Captain was knowledgeable on the history of New Bern as well as up to date on New Bern happenings. The river was very beautiful and calming, a great way to start the weekend.
Seen lovely homes on the Trent River to include Nicholas Sparks home and his ex-wife's house which was being built down river. A comment was made by someone who hadn't been to New Bern in a long time about "he had forgotten how much money was in New Bern". Seen an old plantation home, seen the property owned by heirs of the Minge (Pepsi Owners) and the heirs to the Hanes underwear property. Lovely homes and docks, alot of history about Union Point and the Civil War in New Bern, learned about the old drawbridge and the new drawbridge as well as Former Governor Perdue's help with the new bridge.
Great time, great people on the tour. I learned about the Armed Forces Vacation Club from a couple visiting from Ohio. Will have a chance to go on vacation soon.

1  Thank Karen H
Reviewed 10 October 2015

Smooth riding boat with a narrated tour. See homes (Nicholas Sparks), wildlife and some local attractions from the Nuese & Trent rivers. $25 was a good value.

Reviewed 27 August 2015

Very calm and informative ride. You see a lot of the buildings from the rivers. 2 hour cruise is too long for small children unless you bring drinks and snacks.

Reviewed 13 August 2015

Awesome boat tour. Great captain and first mate. Two hour tour that went through both the Trent and Neuse Rivers. Great history lessons about New Bern.

Reviewed 27 July 2015

Took our 3 kids on this tour and so happy we did it. It had been very hot there the whole week we were there and I was not sure I would be comfortable going with the heat. The boat was covered so you are not in direct sunlight. The tour guide was great, he is from Ohio (I think) and recently moved to new bern full time. He was full of knowledge and so funny, he and the captain had a good rapport and made us feel very comfortable. He gave ideas of where to eat and visit while there. This is something I would do again. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 12 July 2015 via mobile

We celebrated our 7th anniversary on this lovely sunset cruise. It had rained hard the hour before and I thought they would cancel, however they didn't. The sunset was amazing! And it was relaxing and beautiful. We saw 8 osprey and 4 nests. I'm so glad we did it- an amazing value.

Reviewed 16 June 2015

2 hour tour around the New Bern harbor & up the Neuse & Trent rivers. Informative & friendly guides. Great descriptions of areas traveled.

Reviewed 5 October 2014

My husband and i loved this trip up the river, we especially like the later part of the trip that took you up the smaller river, sorry I do forget the name but it was just wonderful to see the beautiful homes, Nicholas Sparks home, and the Captain//narrator was very good, explained everything, and we thoroughly enjoyed all of it !! We both work very stressful jobs, health care managers, and we took a 10 day driving trip to the south this year, New Bern being our first stop for 3 days, and this was a great stop, our second trip to New Bern and I am sure we will be back again, and would take this trip again in a heartbeat !!! We traveled with you the on memorial day weekend of 2014.

3  Thank carrie10181
Reviewed 16 September 2014

Not bad, comfortable boat ride, but the Tour Guide's script & narration needs a lot of work. Admittedly, he highlights a few interesting points about New Bern. However, there is SO much more to New Bern (especially from the vantage point of the river tour), that I felt like grabbing his microphone and interjecting all the interesting details he was leaving out! Like previous reviewers stated, what you see (on the brochure) is kinda what you get... basically a glimpse of an author's residence ("Oooh, I wondering what they're doing in there, right now), a crab trap, and an osprey nest. And once you reach the western end of the Trent, you reverse course, and bee-line home (tour's over!). Just a bit sad as there's so much more he could have shared about our great little town! Again, a comfortable ride and overall good safe seamanship, just invest a lot more time and effort into your history and overall knowledge of New Bern... and the two hour tour would really be something to rave about.

4  Thank CarlSalad
George A, Owner at Lookout Lady Scenic River Tours of New Bern-Day Boat Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2014

Thank you very much for your review. We do head back quickly at the conclusion of the tour, so that we can go further in the two-hour time frame of the cruise. If you have the time, we would appreciate it if you would call us and give us the name of your captain or your travel date so that we can address this issue - we are constantly looking for ways to improve our service.