“Excellent oysters”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly
Good for: Child-friendly
Reviewed 21 January 2018 via mobile

We stopped here for a late lunch with a friend visiting from out of town. I’ve been here when you have to wait for a table, but today was not crowded.

Their seafood is really fresh and the menu provides lots of choices. They also have lots of specials.

We started off with a dozen raw oysters and they have to be the best I’ve ever had! This place also makes their own sauces, and their oyster sauce is delicious. I even bought a bottle to take home.

Between us we had red snapper, flounder, scallops, fries, onion rings, Cole slaw, fried okra, and salad. The sweet tea is good too.

There’s ample parking out front and next door.

Reviewed 21 December 2017

My husband and I were on a family vacation recently in New Bern NC and wanted to get away for a couples outing. We ventured to the downtown waterfront on the advice of several family members to this great seafood restaurant called the Sting Ray Café. We were not disappointed. I am an East coast girl and there's nothing like east coast seafood. We were happy with the food and the friendly service. I would highly recommend it to couples or the whole family.

Reviewed 12 December 2017

Fresh fish for sale next door, friendly staff and an expansive menu! What more could a traveler ask for.

Reviewed 27 November 2017

Laurie and I had lunch there on Saturday. I ordered soft shell crab sandwich with fried okra and coleslaw. She ordered fried shrimp sandwich with fired okra with cole slaw. Nothing special but the food was delicious. Hush puppies, with butter, are brought to each table upon seating of guests. They are surprisingly flavorful. Wait-staff are very courteous and helpful. The menu is basic seafood. Nothing fancy about the decor lots of pictures of local sea lore and a fish market is adjacent and connected to the restaurant. Guess where the fresh seafood is obtained? Huge variety of fresh fish.. So if you don't like seafood, it's not the place for you. Easy parking next to restaurant. As added value, if you love Jesus Christ, you may choose to ring the ship's bell at the front of the restaurant. A nice family-type dining establishment.

Reviewed 14 November 2017

I stopped by this little place across from the NC History Center because the restaurant where I intended to eat lunch was closed. The interior is rustic, with a fish camp vibe. I sat at one of the wooden booths. The waitress took my drink order and brought hot hushpuppies quickly. The menu has a variety of seafood items, steamed or fried, but I was in the mood for soup of some sort, so I ordered a bowl of oyster stew. It had a good quantity of oysters in a light cream / potato (?) broth and really hit the spot for me. The waitress seemed to know many of the other diners, so I got an earful of local gossip, too.