“Great place to stay in Nags Head”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Surf Side Hotel

Surf Side Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Arlington
“Great place to stay in Nags Head”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

We really enjoyed our stay. Our room was spacious and exceptionally clean. We had a good view of the ocean from the first floor. Both the outdoor pool and the indoor pool look nice. We enjoyed the indoor pool and jacuzzi. However, it was a little chilly getting back in our swim suits from the South Building, where the pool is located, to our room in the main building. The gym is also nice. The continental breakfast is not bad -- there is lots of fresh fruit. There is one improvement we would suggest: Our lives could have been made easier, if there had been a couple of towel bars in our bathroom. The only place to hang a towel was one hook on the bathroom door. Overall, we can highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you don't get an ocean front room, the ocean view will be better, the closer to the ocean fro...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MarkNorthernVirginia
SEABOARDHOTELS, Owner at Surf Side Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Thank you for reviewing the Surf Side. I sincerely appreciate your kind words and suggestions, we will look into additional hooks. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and we hope to have you visit again soon. Thanks again for choosing to stay with us and for the review.
Surf Side / Seaboard Hotels
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
Lafayette
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

Had my reservations about this hotel because although it is great to be on the beach, it is difficult to maintain a beach properties due to the salt exposure and guests tracking sand inside.

No worries at all - the hotel, although an older property, is beautifully maintained and absolutely clean. Not a chain, the staff were all very friendly and helpful and there were lots of little extras like beach chairs for the guests to borrow, a managers' reception at 4 pm and good quality beach towels to borrow. You walk out the back door and step out in the sand. Honestly, with zoning codes and all, most cities would never allow a hotel to be built on this beach but this part of the Outer Banks when they say Beachside property, they mean it.

What I liked:
Very clean facility, everything in the room worked
Friendly, helpful staff
Oversized rooms compared to the big name "chain" hotels
Queen beds
Small frigs in the room
Updated furniture,
Seating areas in all the rooms
High quality linens and towels - this is important to me as you can tell by my other reviews!
Good internet connection
Towels and chairs to borrow
Basic continental breakfast - saves at least $25 a day by starting with a basic cold breakfast

Suggested improvements:
-Upgraded pillows
-Upgraded Continental breakfast baked goods
-Recycling program - would have loved to have a blue or green garbage can in the room for newspapers, water bottles and soda bottles. In a resort area, this type of program would really make sense since many people are traveling in family groups and/or groups of friends.

Highly recommended, I would stay here again without a doubt.

And if I were here for 3 nights or more, I would have looked into their "efficiency" units as it would be been nice to cook our own dinner or even bake our own pizza from the Food Lion or Harris Tweeter and saved considerable money.

Room Tip: Pay for the ocean view, it is really nice to hear the water and wake up to the lovely view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Sharon D
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

I have stayed in alot of hotels and houses at the beach over the years, but i have never stayed in a hotel like Surf Side. It was a very clean and comfortable hotel and the service was excellent. The people who work there were the nicest and most helpful people we have ever stayed with. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a relaxing and comfortable beach experience.

Room Tip: When you get to the beach check any other hotel and look at thier rooms and the go to Surf Side and...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Kenny and Rhond... S
Nearly every review we receive makes a point to express how awesome our staff is at the Surf Side and for that I am extremely grateful. It doesn't matter how well a room is decorated or how awesome the view may be if the staff doesn't appreciate you being a guest. Our staff understands how important every guest is and we are so fortunate to have such great people working with us. Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to review the Surf Side.
Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

This hotel has already received rave reviews so I don't need to add anything to that. I did, however, have concerns about the continental breakfast. Before you say, "It's a FREE meal - get over it," let me say There is No Free Breakfast. When you pay for your room, you're paying for your breakfast, whether or not you eat it.

The food was fine - don't get me wrong. It's how the appliances worked, or in this case did not work, that made our meal less than stellar. The hotel has two four-slice toasters. My wife put her sliced bagel in the right two slots of the right toaster and pushed the handle down, but it wouldn't stay down. After fiddling with that for a while, she took her bagel out and put the slices in the right two slots of the left toaster. Same thing - push handle down - handle pops up again.

While we're eating, we see a gentleman put bread in the LEFT two slots of one of the toasters, and it toasts his bread. Then I put bread in the left slots of the other toaster, and it toasted my bread.

So why did both toasters toast on the left two slots, but not on the right two slots? Each set had its own handle, so I assumed the right slots must have worn out from over-use. But on BOTH toasters?

However, the last straw was the microwave. I wanted to heat my syrup, so I put the opened container in the MW and tried to get it to work. I don't know if this MW is a dummy unit that actually opens the hotel's safe deposit box, but no combination of buttons would get this thing to start. No button would even beep, and there was no display, so I could only assume the circuit that controls the two right slots of both toasters must have tripped the breaker that also controls the microwave.

So my wife ate a cold bagel and I had cold syrup.

Anyway, if you work for this hotel, or any hotel for that matter, please PLEASE make sure your continental breakfast appliances work. We're tired, decaffeinated, and just want a quick warm meal so we can move on.

That rant aside, the rest of the hotel was fine, as I stated in my opening paragraph.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our breakfast or should I say, appliances. Quick note about paying for breakfast, compare our competition and all that they offer and you will recognize that we offer far more in an overall experience, especially breakfast, than any of our competition. We will be adding more hot items soon but you won't see our rates change. The cost of breakfast is an operating cost, no different than the sheets, pillows, and electricity. We offer it as an added amentity and we hope most will simply appreciate that we have it available. I would eat at Dunes Restaurant or Sam and Omies personally for a real breakfast. We are in the hotel business, not the restaurant business. That being said, I agree that our appliances should work and in fact the toasters were recently replaced with new. I apologize for the inconveniece the items caused you.
Keene, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

My husband and I went to Nags Head in March, 2012, and had a corner, king room on the second floor. We only planned to stay 3 nights, but added another night, we had such a great experience. Everything was perfect: the room was clean, very comfortable bed and pillows, the desk people very polite and helpful, and the overall ambience made us not want to leave. The price was very reasonable and it is located at the southern end of the busy Nags Head strip: easy to get out for a drive down the road. Beach is great, of course. We will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: You get a better view the higher you go, but we were happy with second floor. Don't know how muc...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank amyla321
SEABOARDHOTELS, Owner at Surf Side Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
We hope you will make staying at the Surf Side a yearly routine as well. Thank you for staying with us and for reviewing the Surf Side. I appreciate your kind words and for choosing to stay with us. It is wonderful to hear that we met your expectations.
Cheers
22.4 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
9.8 km away
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,372 reviews
11.8 km away
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,150 reviews

Been to Surf Side Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK