“Best hotel for Wright Brothers Museum visit and Beach access”
Review of Surf Side Hotel

Surf Side Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Had my reservations about this hotel because although it is great to be on the beach, it is difficult to maintain a beach properties due to the salt exposure and guests tracking sand inside.

No worries at all - the hotel, although an older property, is beautifully maintained and absolutely clean. Not a chain, the staff were all very friendly and helpful and there were lots of little extras like beach chairs for the guests to borrow, a managers' reception at 4 pm and good quality beach towels to borrow. You walk out the back door and step out in the sand. Honestly, with zoning codes and all, most cities would never allow a hotel to be built on this beach but this part of the Outer Banks when they say Beachside property, they mean it.

What I liked:
Very clean facility, everything in the room worked
Friendly, helpful staff
Oversized rooms compared to the big name "chain" hotels
Queen beds
Small frigs in the room
Updated furniture,
Seating areas in all the rooms
High quality linens and towels - this is important to me as you can tell by my other reviews!
Good internet connection
Towels and chairs to borrow
Basic continental breakfast - saves at least $25 a day by starting with a basic cold breakfast

Suggested improvements:
-Upgraded pillows
-Upgraded Continental breakfast baked goods
-Recycling program - would have loved to have a blue or green garbage can in the room for newspapers, water bottles and soda bottles. In a resort area, this type of program would really make sense since many people are traveling in family groups and/or groups of friends.

Highly recommended, I would stay here again without a doubt.

And if I were here for 3 nights or more, I would have looked into their "efficiency" units as it would be been nice to cook our own dinner or even bake our own pizza from the Food Lion or Harris Tweeter and saved considerable money.

Room Tip: Pay for the ocean view, it is really nice to hear the water and wake up to the lovely view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Sharon D

Reviewed 4 April 2012

I have stayed in alot of hotels and houses at the beach over the years, but i have never stayed in a hotel like Surf Side. It was a very clean and comfortable hotel and the service was excellent. The people who work there were the nicest and most helpful people we have ever stayed with. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a relaxing and comfortable beach experience.

Room Tip: When you get to the beach check any other hotel and look at thier rooms and the go to Surf Side and...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Kenny and Rhond... S
SEABOARDHOTELS, Owner at Surf Side Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Nearly every review we receive makes a point to express how awesome our staff is at the Surf Side and for that I am extremely grateful. It doesn't matter how well a room is decorated or how awesome the view may be if the staff doesn't appreciate you being a guest. Our staff understands how important every guest is and we are so fortunate to have such great people working with us. Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to review the Surf Side.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

This hotel has already received rave reviews so I don't need to add anything to that. I did, however, have concerns about the continental breakfast. Before you say, "It's a FREE meal - get over it," let me say There is No Free Breakfast. When you pay for your room, you're paying for your breakfast, whether or not you eat it.

The food was fine - don't get me wrong. It's how the appliances worked, or in this case did not work, that made our meal less than stellar. The hotel has two four-slice toasters. My wife put her sliced bagel in the right two slots of the right toaster and pushed the handle down, but it wouldn't stay down. After fiddling with that for a while, she took her bagel out and put the slices in the right two slots of the left toaster. Same thing - push handle down - handle pops up again.

While we're eating, we see a gentleman put bread in the LEFT two slots of one of the toasters, and it toasts his bread. Then I put bread in the left slots of the other toaster, and it toasted my bread.

So why did both toasters toast on the left two slots, but not on the right two slots? Each set had its own handle, so I assumed the right slots must have worn out from over-use. But on BOTH toasters?

However, the last straw was the microwave. I wanted to heat my syrup, so I put the opened container in the MW and tried to get it to work. I don't know if this MW is a dummy unit that actually opens the hotel's safe deposit box, but no combination of buttons would get this thing to start. No button would even beep, and there was no display, so I could only assume the circuit that controls the two right slots of both toasters must have tripped the breaker that also controls the microwave.

So my wife ate a cold bagel and I had cold syrup.

Anyway, if you work for this hotel, or any hotel for that matter, please PLEASE make sure your continental breakfast appliances work. We're tired, decaffeinated, and just want a quick warm meal so we can move on.

That rant aside, the rest of the hotel was fine, as I stated in my opening paragraph.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our breakfast or should I say, appliances. Quick note about paying for breakfast, compare our competition and all that they offer and you will recognize that we offer far more in an overall experience, especially breakfast, than any of our competition. We will be adding more hot items soon but you won't see our rates change. The cost of breakfast is an operating cost, no different than the sheets, pillows, and electricity. We offer it as an added amentity and we hope most will simply appreciate that we have it available. I would eat at Dunes Restaurant or Sam and Omies personally for a real breakfast. We are in the hotel business, not the restaurant business. That being said, I agree that our appliances should work and in fact the toasters were recently replaced with new. I apologize for the inconveniece the items caused you.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

My husband and I went to Nags Head in March, 2012, and had a corner, king room on the second floor. We only planned to stay 3 nights, but added another night, we had such a great experience. Everything was perfect: the room was clean, very comfortable bed and pillows, the desk people very polite and helpful, and the overall ambience made us not want to leave. The price was very reasonable and it is located at the southern end of the busy Nags Head strip: easy to get out for a drive down the road. Beach is great, of course. We will definitely be back!!

Room Tip: You get a better view the higher you go, but we were happy with second floor. Don't know how muc...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank amyla321
SEABOARDHOTELS, Owner at Surf Side Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

We hope you will make staying at the Surf Side a yearly routine as well. Thank you for staying with us and for reviewing the Surf Side. I appreciate your kind words and for choosing to stay with us. It is wonderful to hear that we met your expectations.
Cheers

Reviewed 1 April 2012

My husband and I wanted to take a quick trip with our two-year-old son before the birth of our daughter in a few months. Nags Head was perfect because it's the closest city on the OBX to our home near Raleigh. We chose Surf Side because of its location, good reviews, and reasonable rates.

The front desk was personable upon check-in and made sure we were aware of their continental breakfast and wine socials. We didn't take advantage of those because this pregnant woman needed a Duck Donut fix and wine is frowned upon during pregnancy. After my son refused a nap, I briefly considered offering him a glass of wine - but again, societal pressures frown upon drugging your children so we simply did not attend the wine social. It looked lovely, however.

The room itself was a two queen-bed, oceanfront room. It was indeed ocean front and I'm listening to the beautiful crashing of the waves right now as I lay awake on our last night because the fetus I am carrying has decided 4AM is a perfect time for Zumba in my womb. The room is clean, well-cared for, the balcony is solidly-constructed with two wooden rockers, a small table and a tiny can with sand for smokers that, by the grace of God, my son never discovered and attempted to play with. It is a very good-sized room although the bathroom is hard to maneuver in, but as a weeble-wobble pregnant woman, perhaps I am biased on that topic. The shower and toilet are a little aged with scrapes and small, non-offensive stains. Nothing to keep me from coming back, though.

The outdoor pool area is clean, but small. The indoor pool area was clean but there were three tweenish girls running around splashing when the three of us decided to take a dip. As a former school teacher, I know it takes about eight seconds for tweens to trash a room, so I am thinking the pool area probably looks nicer on normal occasions.

Overall, I think the most important thing to remember about a hotel like this is you are not at Sandals/Beaches (aka, over-priced resorts for people without imaginations). This is the OBX and the sea air is harsh. This hotel has been through major hurricanes. They take great care of the property. I don't know when we will return to the area, but I could definitely see us staying here again. I am glad I trusted the Trip Advisor for this one, I haven't been disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Heatherstao

It is not often that I chuckle out loud while reading a Tripadvisor review of one of our hotels but you have made it happen with your review! I should hire you to write our web site content. Sorry you were unable to enjoy the wine social and I appreciate you not allowing your little one to indulge, though with four little ones of my own... I understand the thought. :) You have offered a wonderful review and I am grateful for your kind words and honest opinions. We work hard to present a clean well maintained property and it is nice when a guest notices how well we are doing considering the extreme environment that the building sits within. Sea air, salt water, and wind are incredibly destructive forces. I wish you well with the birth of your next child and hope you will have a chance to travel with the new family member in the not too distant future back to the Surf Side. I assure you we will continue to work hard to deliver an ever better hotel experience than you enjoyed during this stay. Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your thoughts, it is most sincerely appreictaed.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nags Head
1.6 km away
Comfort Inn South Oceanfront
9.8 km away
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
11.8 km away
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Surf Side Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK