“I felt very welcome and quite at home at Joanie's...”
other travellers have booked this property
Winter with snow in the valley....
All time favorite reading spot Beautiful screened-in porch overlooking the spectacular views.
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
Winter with snow in the valley....
All time favorite reading spot
Beautiful screened-in porch overlooking the spectacular views.
Outdoor dining on the screened-in porch
The best place in the Smokey's to watch the sun rise.
Sunrise one morning in winter from the screened-in porch.
Sunrise in summer with clouds in the valley
Kitchen has everything you'll need
Kitchen, indoor dining, hallway leading to half bath and staricase leading to upstairs bedrooms.
Kitchen, we have some spices and paper goods. Use whatever you'd like.
Autumn Leaves
Storm late one day
Living area, desk, kitchen.
Indoor dining table with view
Copper collection on the fireplace. New remote controlled gas fireplace.
Living room has a couch, 3 recliners, flat screen TV
fog lifting from the valley on a stormy day
My attempt at barn painting. I'll get better
Master bath
Master bedroom with flat screen tv
Master bedroom.
Lower deck area has a gas grill, picnic table, lounge chair and two person swing. Beautiful View!
Dogwood in Spring
Hallway connecting the two bedrooms and bath.
Guest Bedroom with Queen bed.
Morning World
Front Walk
My sweet cabin.
Wildlife
View from the master bedroom window
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Mamasan20...
Niceville, Florida
“I felt very welcome and quite at home at Joanie's lovely retreat place”
Reviewed 9 April 2017 for a stay in March 2017

Joanie's home is most beautifully decorated and well equipped. With the covered and screened in porch, I spent many hours at the home itself while I was there. On cooler days the fireplace was a very welcome source of warmth and made one feel even more comfortable and at ease. The only "downside" of the home for me is it's location at a very steep road and no walking trails nearby. I discovered the beautiful grounds at the Folk School in Brasstown with its walking trails only 10 minutes drive away from Joanie's home which were worth the drive and a delight to see. Folks there were very friendly and welcoming as well. Thank you, Joanie, for being willing to share this wonderful blessing with us!!! May the LORD richly bless you!

Your age range 35-49
10 Apr 2017
Oh Thank you Tanya for the beautiful cabins you left for me and the card . Also, My cleaner was so touched that you left her a card and chocolates.....that was SO nice of you. I wish you had let me know about wanting walking trails. There is a beautiful Murphy River Walk Park just 3 miles from the cabin and the paths along the river are wonderful. A full circuit is probably about 3 or 4 miles and it takes you all along the river & into a beautiful wooded area and if you go all the way to the Depot you can circle back through town, which is how I go. Next time you go up there you should give it a try....I think you would love it. Thanks so much for leaving the cabin so nice. Please come back again.
lfnunn
Orlando, Florida
“"Retreat" says it all”
Reviewed 30 March 2017 for a stay in March 2017

Our stay at the "Retreat" cabin in Murphy was short but very relaxing. We loved sitting in the swing on the deck, watching the birds. We also enjoyed having our meals in the screened room overlooking the beautiful mountains. The "Retreat" cabin felt very private and quiet, but was close enough to downtown Murphy and anything we needed. We will definitely come back for a longer stay next time!

9 Apr 2017
Please do come back....I loved having you there! I'll keep you posted on Short Notice Discounts in the event you can come up to the Smokies on the fly!!!
Thanks for taking such good care of my cabin, Joanie
tch64
Sarasota, Florida
“Best Rental”
Reviewed 22 January 2017 for a stay in December 2016
person found this review helpful

This was without a doubt the best rental experience our family has had in the last 5+ years. Everything was better than promised. We found a lot to do in a short radius from the cabin. Although you are only 5 minutes from town, you truly feel you are in the middle of nowhere, and the views are exactly as pictured. Communication with the owner was awesome -- just can't say enough except that we cannot wait to come back :)

Your age range 50-64
23 Jan 2017
Thank you Tom for such a lovely review. I loved the thought that you and your family were there during the holidays, baking cookies, following your traditions and having such an amazing family time. The best part was how Wal-Mart gave you a Christmas tree since it was so close to Christmas day..... Hope to see you sometime in 2017!!!
Keith W
Central Florida, Florida
“Warm, cozy cabin in the mountains”
Reviewed 26 December 2016 for a stay in December 2016

We stayed for the week before Christmas. We are from Florida and like to experience some cooler temperatures and we both love western NC. Third time at Above the Clouds Retreat. The amenities of the cabin are great, nice kitchen, gas fireplace, lovely screened-in porch, beautiful mountain views! Nicely equipped with flat screen TV, DVD player, wi-fi, gas grill, washer and dryer, you name it! This cabin is only minutes from downtown Murphy and shopping, but you would not know it. Our host Joanie is wonderful. We have rented from her no less than half-dozen times and have not been disappointed. There is plenty to do in and around Murphy. I have a couple of favorite places, but we explore and venture out each time we go. My favorite lodging? Above the Clouds! It's like being at home and on vacation too!

28 Dec 2016
Keith & Deidra, what a great review! Thanks so much for the high praise. I can't tell you how happy I am when you are staying at my cabin because I know you will treat it as if it were your own. I love my home there in the mountains so I appreciate your visits so much. I hope you come back again and again. See you in 2017! Happy New Year.....Joanie
710carol
Katy, Texas
“One of the best views in Murphy”
Reviewed 14 November 2016 for a stay in October 2016

This is my second stay at the Retreat and it was just as wonderful as the first. Joanie is great to work with. She is so helpful and ,by far, the best owner that I've ever dealt with. She is always concerned about her guest.
The Retreat is on a mountain, but the road is paved and well maintained. The home is private, but not secluded. There are neighbors, but none are visible. Traveling alone I feel perfectly safe at the Retreat. The home has everything that you need to feel at home.
The view is spectacular. You can see for for miles. The mountains are beautiful at any time of the year. If you are looking for a cute, cozy, very clean vacation cabin, give the Retreat a try.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The view and the deck
Liked least: Having to leave the peace and beauty of the Retreat!
Travelling group: Solo
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing