“Great food, terrible service”

Saffron Indian Restaurant
Ranked #72 of 175 Restaurants in Morrisville
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 20
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Saffron brings traditional Indian gourmet experience to the triangle area. We serve weekdays special lunch combos and weekdays buffet.
Reviewed 24 May 2017 via mobile

In the four or so trips I've made to this restaurant, I think I've had an extensive wait for each. The food is excellent, but there are other options around with equal food and much better service.

Reviewed 25 March 2017

I love their dishes. I don't come here as often as I like because I'm still not used to their spicy food. It does remind me of the Indian restaurants I grew up in.

Reviewed 14 January 2017

I'll start by saying we're addicted to Indian food and would like to think we have a pretty good palate for picking good places and dishes. SAFFRON obviously put's an effort into their menu, as all the dishes we tried were above average and very very favorable. It was refreshing to find dishes we normally hadn't seen before to try new tastes and textures. Their attention to the subtle or bold use of spices is evident. Hot dishes were not overdone with spice, and cream sauces were buttery and savory.
The problem was the service and presentation. One person was running the dinning room, greeting and seating guests, taking (or not taking in our case) drink orders, bringing the Naan, etc. So service was very polite, but very wonky.
The lunch buffet trays were not keeping the dishes warm in the cold weather, and by the time we got back to our seats the dishes were cold. We mentioned this to the spartan server (when he brought the Naan towards the end of our meal), but it didn't appear they did anything to check or fix the issue. Did nothing to make this error right.
NOTE TO MANAGEMENT: Hire someone to greet, seat, take drink orders, etc. Have someone else run the buffet, check the dishes, bring the Naan, refill water, take plates, etc. KEEP the Chef... the flavors and your dishes don't need fixing.
Maybe better as take out??

Reviewed 17 October 2016

After a long time, ate really nice indian food ! we ordered shrimp dum biryani, nehari lamb shank, samosa chat appetizer, pista kulfi dessert, tandoori roti,

everything was ordered mild. And that definitely helped.
samosa chat is filling and is really meant for 2 people. we feared that we would be too full if we finished it. but no worries. the rest of the food was just as tasty.
the dum biryani came out authentic ! with dough wrapped on the top. really flavorful biryani. we will be going back just for this.
the lamb shank could have more meat. It was a big bone with two small pieces of meat. the gravy was delicious and the meat was tender and loved the dish. But we really felt that it needed more meat for the price. If you order just this dish, you will be left hungry.
the pista kulfi was so so.
we had to order all the above between 2 people and we had very little left overs to take home. so it is small pricy portions.
overall enjoyed the food and will be back to taste other dishes.

Reviewed 30 July 2016 via mobile

Staff was friendly, if a little unpolished. They don't try to turn the tables over quickly and we were left alone to socialize after the meal, which was nice. The food came out at a reasonable time. Not overpriced. I ordered the Butter Chicken and I will definitely get it again.