“Best Ferry Service!!!”

Morehead City Ferry Service
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Morehead City Ferry Service offers the Largest Ferry to Sand Dollar Island. Our Sand Dollar Island trip schedule vary with low tide times. The new Miss Morehead City is a 49-passenger Catamaran. We also offer Sea Life Encounter Cruises and Sunset Evening Cruises. Reservations are required. BOOK ONLINE! Free parking!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed 13 August 2017

This was our second trip with Morehead Ferry Service. It's only $1 more than most of the ferry services that leave from nearby Beaufort, and well worth it to have the shade provided on this catamaran as well as the friendly and knowledgeable crew. We absolutely LOVE sand dollar island! You will find all sorts of neat creatures besides sand dollars on the island, such as tiny crabs, whelk, etc. You may see dolphins on the ride over and back. A must-do for family outings while in the Emerald Isle area.

George A, Owner at Morehead City Ferry Service, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2017

Thank you for the kind words! We are glad to hear you enjoyed the shade. As well as our crew. We strive to provide excellent customer service. Come see us again soon!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Morehead City Ferry Service

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

I decided to drive up from Holden Beach (3 hours each way) and take the Sand Dollar Ferry. I have a few friends that have done this and thought it would be neat! I had called the day before and spoke with George, the owner, who was very nice and helpful! When I got to the ferry, I checked in and waited for us to board. The two guys that run the ferry are super nice and very knowledgeable about the area! The only thing about the boat ride over and back was, I was in the back of the boat and really couldn't hear what the Captain was saying over the speaker. But, I heard enough to know what to do once we got over to the island. It's really just a huge sand bar in the middle of the ocean across from Shackleford Island. I had envisioned that we would get out on the island and the sand dollars would be on top of the sand. Well, I was totally wrong! You had to walk through the water and search for them. Which, for me, added to the adventure and was so much fun! I found TONS of live sand dollars, which is always cool to see! Then, I started finding dead ones. The live ones are either dark brown or purple and are usually digging into the sand. The dead ones are generally white with no little hairs on them and are usually buried in the sand but sticking out a little bit. You really have to look for them. Most of the ones I found were in about knee deep water. I found 23 total, but 2 broke while they were in my shell bag. I also found lots of other really cool shells! Some I had never seen before. We come to Holden Beach all the time and I go shelling there all the time so it was fun to have 2 hours to walk around the shallow waters of a sand bar and find tons of beautiful shells and sand dollars! Thank you to all those who write reviews on here because that's why I decided to go with the Morehead City Ferry Service. They got the best reviews! I am adding mine to that! I highly recommend them!!

George A, Owner at Morehead City Ferry Service, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Thank you Kelly for such a great review. It is sometimes difficult to explain Sand Dollar Island to people who have never been there and I thank you for doing such a great job putting it into words. We look forward to having you back with us.

Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

The ferry to San dollar Island was tremendous fun! The Captain was very informative and helpful. Everyone found San dollars. It was the perfect length of time. All ages enjoyed this adventure!

Thank you! Sand Dollar Island is for Everyone. I am so glad you had such a nice time. We look forward to having you back with us.

Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

Great guys and very knowledgeable. I saw other tour boats come to the island and this one looked like the safest most reliable. Also, we were the first ones on the island and had the whole place to ourselves for about 30 minutes.

George A, Owner at Morehead City Ferry Service, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2017

Thank you David! Our goal is for everyone to have an enjoyable, fun, interesting and safe trip. We look forward to having you back with us.

Reviewed 5 August 2017

It was really fun finding sand dollars and our 7 year old loved the warm calm water. Very interesting seeing the living sand dollars. Just make sure you are aware the sole purpose is to walk around a sand bar looking for sand dollars or other interesting sea life. The amount of time to the island and on the island was perfect.

Thank you for your review. The tide pools are great for kids and adults alike. The water is crystal clear so you can actually see sand dollars at your feet. It is great fun to play in the tide pools, search for sand dollars or to just catch some rays. We look forward to having you back with us.