“Best Sushi in Charlotte ”

Umami Sushi & Grill
Ranked #76 of 207 Restaurants in Matthews
Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

Been to many sushi restaurants. Was hesitant to try due to exterior appearance (used to be KFC) but SO GLAD did. Taste, service, and tranquility beat all the others hands down. Price point beats others as well. Our waitress was awesome, ask for Tori. Can't say enough.....we will be back!!!

Date of visit: September 2017
1  Thank MKCline

Reviewed 22 July 2017

I took my Nephew as he heard about it in school. It is an all you can eat sushi menu. We ordered and the first go round came out and the rolls were so lose they fell apart, the fried crab roll was all cucmber and they only crab was decorative. The eel roll was nasty too. We picked out the parts that were edible and ordered some simpler items. The waitress was pretty rude and she seemed to hide as we got no beverage refills napkins etc. he second plate came out and same thing lose rolls, seaweed salad was disgusting with some sort of maonaise in it. Again Rolls were nt much but rice and a hint of what was supposed to be in it. when the waitress came back she yelled at us for not eating it all. Then the owner came out and screamed at us for wasting food. He charged us a 30.00 surcharge for not eating the terrible food. How do you charge a surcharge on an all you can eat menu. We were mortified I paid the check and we left but he embarassed us and my nephew has asbergers and he was extremly traumatized by this.

Date of visit: July 2017
1  Thank mrsbu
Reviewed 26 June 2017

My son had tried this place with his friends and suggested it for Fathers day celebration.
I managed to get a good healthy vegetarian plate where my husband and son enjoyed their unlimited sushi served with salads.
Also you can upgrade rice to noodles for little extra surcharge.
Staff was friendly and accommodating. Prompt service and fresh food.
Will go their back for sure.

Date of visit: June 2017
1  Thank Sweta A
Reviewed 11 May 2017 via mobile

Umami is our favorite sushi place in Matthews. Vicky is always our waitress and she remembers what we like to order. First class service

Date of visit: May 2017
1  Thank Mary B
Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

I've had my fair share of Japanese Sushi and Grill places that being said Umami is definitely one of the best. I have driven past it several times and thought about stopping and after I read the reviews online I decided I definitely had to give it a try. I started with the Gyoza or fried dumplings they were good, but the dipping sauce they came with was a little Bland, I then ordered the Hibachi chicken and beef, which comes with salad and soup you are supposed to get miso soup but they allowed me to change it out for the onion. it also comes with mixed vegetables for $11.95, I'm not sure what the sauces they use on the meat, but it is absolutely delicious when the plant first came I tried the rice and thought it's very Bland but then when I realized how delicious the meat was with the sauce and mix the two together, oh my goodness that was the bomb. if you happen to be around Matthews and you're in the mood for Japanese stop by Umami you'll be glad you did.

Date of visit: April 2017