“It ain't no Hilton”
Review of Meadowlark Motel

Meadowlark Motel
Ranked #25 of 25 Hotels in Maggie Valley
Reviewed 12 January 2011

The rm was VERY dated, but clean. Sheets or room didn't have a fresh smell and the bed was quite uncomfortable. There was not any breakfast when we went to the front desk, wasn't even told about it, and when I went to the front to get some more coffee, the door was locked and couldn't get anyones attention. It wasn't a horrible place, and if I were to bring my pets I would consider staying again. The property was great, the stream in the back was beautiful. Had it not been 19 degrees when we stayed there, we would have liked to have enjoyed the fire pit. The jacuzzi was nice.

• Stayed: January 2011
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 9 September 2010

This was just what we were looking for. The location is great, right in the middle of Maggie Valley. They have a pool and a fire pit that can be used any night. The owners were very friendly and accommodating. We sat out on the porch, listening to music and watching the traffic go by. The hotel is older, but the room was clean and the bed comfortable. We enjoyed a continental breakfast before heading home. Could not have asked for anything more from Maggie Valley motel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2010

We were traveling with our 2 dogs and needed a pet friendly place in beautiful Maggie Valley and happened upon the Meadowlark. We found the owners friendly and accomodating and had no problems with their beautiful dogs except sometimes while pulling into the parking lot but really that was not a problem at all. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. My only complaint (not my husband's) was the air conditioner worked too well, I was freezing and found I couldn't adjust it to a lower setting. The creek out back was gorgeous and the fire pit inviting. There is also a large outdoor pavillion with picnic tables and a fireplace. The veiws all over Maggie Valley are intoxicating and we will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2010

If you are hoping for a Ritz-Carlton, the Meadowlark is not it, so please adjust your expectations. I would like to respond to the woman's comment about the charging, growling Labradoodles: there is NO WAY that Bodie or Lily would EVER charge another dog and growl at them! To paint them as vicious is absolutely ridiculous! They LOVE people of all ages and are friendly to other dogs, otherwise they would not be allowed to roam around because it would be too risky for the owners (who live on the property). Yes, they are large dogs, but are WELL TRAINED and PLAYFUL! And, if your dogs are well-behaved, feel free to have them be off leashes as well- no one will mind. It's dog and kid heaven at the Meadowlark. Yes, it's on a busy road, however, the grassy area, creek, and play area are down past the pool, nowhere near the road itself! The picturesque property appears to be about five acres, and those two dogs have got it made- as do any other dogs, adults, and/or kids who are lucky enough to visit and/or stay at the Meadowlark. What we love most about the Meadowlark is the relaxed atmosphere and that it is family run by Charlotte and Herb, two of the nicest people you will ever have the pleasure of meeting! I can understand why visitors come back year after year to the Meadowlark after staying there myself. The property has beautiful, huge, old Oak trees, a LARGE grassy area and a new, wooden-style playset/clubhouse for the kids, a fire pit, creekside benches, and an outdoor, covered gathering space for travelers to get to know one another. The pool is very large, clean, and has LOTS of inflatables for the kids to play with! We made s'mores at the firepit as a family and enjoyed eating them by the roaring creek while our little dogs sniffed around and played in the huge yard. It was convenient to have a washing machine and dryer available to launder our clothes during our two-week stay. There was a mini fridge and microwave in our room as well- everything we could need. If you don't want your room made up due to having pets inside, it's not a problem- just leave your dirty towels outside the room and the maid will pick them up and leave you a big bag filled with new towels, toiletries, etc. for when you return. There are different types of rooms/cottages to choose from. We stayed on the second floor on the end. The garden jacuzzi tub was HUGE and we enjoyed the shower head with its different settings. The room was clean, and, as someone mentioned, the interiors were a bit dated, but I am sure that is how they keep their prices SOOO reasonable! The staff was friendly and courteous. The premises outside were clean. I would rather have clean, dated interiors and pay a fraction of the price, but if you want something fancier, you have that option elsewhere. I agree that lends to the charm of these older places. We felt like we had the whole place to ourselves because of the spacious feeling of the Meadowlark, both inside and out. Our room was much larger than others we had stayed in (and paid more for) over the duration of our travels on this vacation. I have an Internet business and was able to connect to their WiFi with no problems whatsoever. My children, ages 9 and 5, LOVED that they were allowed to walk down to get their complimentary breakfast each morning by themselves and play with Bodie and Lily. We slept very well during our stay. We inadvertently left my body pillow and my daughter's new book in our room, and they held them for us until we could get them back and even washed my pillow for me :). As we left, Charlotte, the owner, told us, "You always have a home away from home here." And, she means it! :) There is just something charming and special about this place that makes it a winner. Go see for yourself, and I am sure you will become one of their many regular travelers!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2010

They own 2 large labrodoodles. They are not on leashes or supervised. My puppy & I were injured because one of the dogs came around a corner at a full charge growling at us. My puppy panic, I tripped & my puppy got loose and took off running toward the road. Blessings from God my husband heard him bark & was able to stop him from getting to the road. He broke a nail & was bleeding from the foot. I injured my knee & my head. I informed the owner & all he did was bring me a bag of ice & say he was sorry. The room was a nice size but had no blinds on the windows. I had to clip the curtains shut. The lamp did not work. Refrigerator tempature did not work. I do not reccomend this place at all!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple