“My wallet is empty and belly is full. Worth all of that.”

J. Arthur's Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 43 Restaurants in Maggie Valley
Price range: US$ 11 - US$ 30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Serving Maggie Valley for 32 years, our family has been in the restaurant business since 1935 with over 20 restaurants (Manero's) both on the East coast and in south Florida. We are know for our succulent prime rib, steaks, Gorgonzola cheese salad as well as our French onion soup and homemade cheese sticks. We are a casual upscale steakhouse which also serves a variety of seafood, chicken, pork, pasta, salads and well as burgers and a variety of incredible appetizers. We have a full bar and serve dinner both in our lounge as well as our dining room. We also have a loft which seats 55 and a private banquet room which seats 25. In the summer and fall, we serve on our patio on weekends. We cater to groups of all sizes both at our establishment and in local parks, homes and a variety of settings and have done groups up to 1300. We love to serve families and have a kids section for children as well as two functioning trains which delight the young at heart in our dining room.
Reviewed 30 April 2017

We had been to a convention nearby and knew the town was full of hungry folks, so we made reservations here for supper.

I've got say that our waiter was the best most professional waiter I've ever had at any restaurant (even more expensive ones in major cities). He made certain we were all comfortable and then went into his spiel of numerous 'specials' for the last Saturday night of April. I heard him gloss over 'fried oysters' as he listed all the various beef dishes so I locked in and ordered the oysters while the others in our group of 4 ordered the filet mignon, or pork chop. I had shrimp cocktail appetizer.

Shrimp Cocktail - I prefer jumbo size shrimp but the large shrimp were very tasty. There were 5 large shrimp served with lemon slices and seafood cocktail sauce.

Fried Oysters - Wow ! A generous bakers dozen perfectly battered and fried. The flavor told me that they were still very much on the fresh side of being harvested. Excellent.
My friend who is a pork chop gourmet - loved her thick grilled pork chop. My other friends had the 6 oz. filet and they extolled the virtues of how those were prepared. (uggh well done, really? Filet mignon should be rare or medium rare for full flavor). Anyhow we truly loved the service, the food, the ambiance, and after all that the amount of the check was not a surprise or begrudged. We all truly enjoyed supper.

Date of visit: April 2017
Donnatml, Owner at J. Arthur's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2017

Thank you for your excellent and detailed review! Hope you visit again soon!

Reviewed 24 April 2017

We ate at J. Arthurs on 4/21/17. We always look forward to our meals there. This time was a very different story! They were only serving from their "Winter Menu." This was a very limited menu. Our waitress had no clue about the menu items. My mother had a hamburger which was about as big around as a orange and burnt to a crisp. We sent it back and got another which was the same way. I had the Chicken Marsala. It had absolutely no flavor and the chicken was so tough you could barely cut it. My daughter had spaghetti. It sauce tasted like diced tomatoes that had been dumped from a can. We asked to speak to the manager but was told he was not there. A few minutes later, I saw him coming from the kitchen. We have been very loyal customers, but will not be going back.

Reviewed 23 April 2017

We stopped for lunch at J. Arthur's and it was fine. The service was friendly and efficient and the food was tasty, although nothing really stood out. This is a good place for a nice meal and we would try them again.

Reviewed 19 April 2017

Nice atmosphere, great food & prime rib was wonderful, even reheated later in the week. Waiter was attentive & décor nice. One of the nicer restaurants in Maggie Valley, NC. Worth the trip.

Reviewed 17 April 2017

I ordered Chicken Parmigiana over pasta. The Presentation looked great. The chicken was breaded and fried. This was the best part of the meal. The pasta (Angle Hair) was over cooked and the "sauce" tasted like crushed tomatoes right out of the can. Not seasoned and no favor. For the salad, I requested Italian dressing. it came out with just vegetable oil and white vinegar. Not seasoned.