“Always good and consistent”
Review of Jimmy's Barbecue - CLOSED

Jimmy's Barbecue
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 2 December 2014

Great breakfast, lunch or dinner. The BBQ chicken is always a good choice with the homemade potato salad!

Date of visit: December 2014

Reviewed 29 November 2014

Expect a full house here even through the work-day week since the reputation of Jimmy's Barbecue is known far and wide and as one of the best in the state. I enjoy the pulled barbecue sandwich which has that secret but delectable tomato tangy base. Iced tea to drink, of course.

Date of visit: November 2014
Reviewed 29 October 2014

My goodness..what treasures you can find when you pull off the highway and say "let's try something different." We were on our way from Davidson to Chapel Hill, and found Jimmy's by chance. First of all, just let me say that the people who work at this place might be the friendliest, most accommodating people we;ve ever encountered, in any restaurant, anywhere...and we go out to eat often. In fact, one of the wait staff apologized to us for asking us if she could get anything for us, figuring she was bothering us because she figured somebody had already asked that question. They had. Three times before. The food is no-frills...and ridiculously inexpensive. My wife had the BBQ chicken thigh special with red slaw and french fries, I had the BBQ white meat special with onion rings and potato salad. Oh...about a dozen hush puppies come along side. Everything was delicious. The check came to $13 and change. Did you hear that right? Yes. We tipped a big fat one...and smiled all the way to Chapel Hill. Saturday afternoon at 2pm..packed!!! If you're on 85 and want a treat..pull off and go to Jimmy's. Just don't expect to be hungry for quite some time afterward.

Date of visit: October 2014
Reviewed 28 September 2014

Tastes in BBQ are pretty ideosyncratic, and I have not had enough Q in Lexington to judge whether this is authentic Lexington BBQ or not. But I thought the pulled pork was flavorful and the slaw crisp and tasty, I used very little of the dip as I thought the pork was sufficiently tangy to not need much enhancement. I was there relatively late in the day and there were only a few other patrons, but my meal came very quickly, within minutes of my placing an order. The waitress was friendly. There was zero atmosphere - which somehow is the way a BBQ place ought to be to my way of thinking.

Date of visit: September 2014
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Since I'm local, I though I would try this place since I had not been here in years and years.
Won't be going back. The barbeque I believe is cooked with electricity and did not taste at all
like Lexington style barbeque is supposed to taste. The "dip" did not have any taste.
The service is good, but that's about all good I can say. I will stick with Lexington BBQ #1
(a/k/a the Monk)