“Did we hit an off night? Terrible!”
Review of Dale's Seafood

Dale's Seafood
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

I've actually never felt the need to post a negative food review on TA. This place was highly recommended by friends. We stopped at 8:45 on a Saturday night. All the staff was extremely friendly, and service was fast. It's a very plain, down-home kind of place. No problem with that. The food however was the worst fried seafood I have ever been served. We live in New England and have eaten seafood, fried and otherwise, all our lives. This was edible and barely that. Fried seafood is such a simple dish that unless you burn it is hard to ruin. The problem here was the seafood itself. I ordered the combo platter to try a bit of it all. Shrimp, scallops, clam strips, deviled crab and "flounder" (the quote marks are significant). The shrimp was acceptable and tasted OK. It was the tiniest "popcorn" size. The deviled crab was a 3" crab shell stuffed with a mostly bread/onion filling and then deep fried. Hard to tell if there was crab in there. The clam strips were tiny rubbery bits. Bleh. The scallops, my favorite seafood, were small, dry and very chewy - not tasty at all and not the sweet, succulent texture this food should have. The strangest thing was the "flounder". Umm, it's a tender flat ocean fish normally a solid white fillet. I received what appeared to be a whole side of lake fish (perch? Bass? I don't know) with the skin on and deep fried. Yuck! The skin was overpoweringly "fishy" and inedible. The white portions picked off were edible but unappealing. The price was great at $16 for all that but should have raised an alarm. In New England, scallops are at least $18/lb and combo platters tend to run $22. And the salad bar with shredded iceberg and bottles of Food Lion dressing was no treat. The 1/3 full squeeze bottle of tartar sauce at room temperature seemed too risky to ingest. The sticky patch of urine on the men's restroom floor was my final parting impression. Others rave about this place. Our experience was terrible.

1  Thank PACman411

Reviewed 24 June 2017

We all had varied seafood dishes and they were very generous portions. Too much in fact. There were about 100 small broiled shrimp in my dish. That with a baked potato and coleslaw and hush puppies were enough for 2 meals. Nothing was gourmet but the food was good and the view was fantastic. Service was excellent.

Reviewed 28 May 2017

The restaurant feels cozy yet it is spacious and has lots of room. It sits right on Lake Waccamaw so the atmosphere is very calm and inviting. We ordered a deluxe seafood platter which contained shrimp, clam strips, deviled crab, scallops and a large piece of fish. The food was delivered hot, fresh and in abundance. The meal includes a salad bar which was well stocked and also had pasta salad and potato salad. A basket of hush puppies was also served along with the meal. They were delicious. The staff was all friendly and courteous. The price is great for the large amount of seafood you receive. I will definitely return again.

Reviewed 1 April 2017 via mobile

The food is great. The servers are friendly & attentive. Sit in an area that you can look out over the lake particularly if you go in the evening towards sunset. It's a gorgeous view. We go at least once a month because the entire dining experience is top notch.

Reviewed 19 March 2017

If you long for that 70's basement atmosphere with wood paneling and warped dirty acoustic tile ceiling, this may be the place for you. After all It is practically the only place around.
On my third trip to Dale's (all because of a group event) I tried to play it safe and ordered a cheese burger. I have never tasted meat like that, I have no idea what it was and I probably don't want to know. I made it home just in time!
I had to wright a review because I see the positive ones and just want to warn people that may be from out of town. Locals may love it because their parents used to eat there and it is cheep .....that doesn't make it acceptable. Any fast food is better, ANY.
I will never go back, group event or not.

5  Thank OceanEats