All reviews ocean front rooms are clean easy access fishing pier fort fisher have stayed at several enjoyed our stay local restaurants motel beach
Reviewed 18 October 2017

This is not an upscale motel, but the staff is wonderful and it is clean. It is rundown and in need of painting, but you are close to everything in Kure Beach. We have stayed here for at least seven years and have enjoyed our stay. Warning: If you have any problems with stairs, there are no elevators. There is a small pool, a washer and dryer, and there is access to the beach.

Stayed: September 2017
Reviewed 1 July 2017 via mobile

My mother and I just returned to Ohio this evening from a three-night stay at South Wind. We had a wonderful time! The motel was exactly what we expected - possibly a bit better. We knew from photos and reviews that this is an older motel, and that was obvious when we arrived. Most importantly, however, it was very clean! That's my ultimate requirement of a hotel/motel room! Our room was clean, bedspreads not faded or worn, crisp, clean sheets, bathroom clean. The towels were your standard, scratchy hotel towels, but clean, adequate, and plentiful.
Yes, there's old 70's type paneling in the rooms. Big deal.
Our a/c unit ran non-stop while we were there, and kept the room just as we wanted it.
The mini-fridge also worked well.
Our room was more spacious than we anticipated. That was nice. It was perfect for just the two of us, but would maybe be a bit cramped for more - but no more so than any other standard motel room.
The tile floors appeared to be just a few years old. Yes, they felt gritty all the time, but it does tend to be a bit sandy at the ocean. Some discoloration of the grout in the bathroom, but obviously clean and not moldy.
There was a family with children in the unit above us, and I only heard footsteps once. So the rooms seem to be adequately insulated and private.
My mother has severely limited mobility, and this was her first trip to the Atlantic in several decades!! I chose South Wind for it's proximity to the beach, and we were not disappointed by that at all! Just a nice little boardwalk, then 4 small steps, and we were on the beach (which is lifeguarded, by the way).
The staff was extremely understanding and accommodating when I booked, making sure we would have a ground floor ocean front unit so my mother would have the shortest walk possible to the beach. The gentleman at the front desk even asked how well my mom did with the long drive down when we checked in. That was sweet.
Updates to the rooms certainly would not go amiss, but, as I said, our room was well-maintained and very clean on our arrival.
A huge improvement would be simple seating. Our room had a small table, but no really usable chairs in the room. There was one highly uncomfortable and impractical chair. Even plastic patio furniture would work better. The same goes for the little patio itself - the rocking chairs were great, but a little table out there would be extremely beneficial, making it more usable for having a snack or drink while enjoying the gorgeous ocean view.
Other extras that would not break the bank but would add to the overall guest experience would be small hairdryers and coffee pots in the non-efficiency units. Again, these are just suggested upgrades, not necessities, and we knew ahead of time that they weren't provided.
The grounds were well-kept, including the pool. We didn't use the pool, but we did note that it was maintained on a daily basis while we were there. Lots of guests seemed to be enjoying the pool frequently.
The picnic table is a nice touch - we had our dinner out there one evening, and noticed another family using the table and provided charcoal grills, obviously enjoying their stay as well.
The little boardwalk to the beach was also sturdy, and had boards that had obviously been replaced as needed - no loose boards, no splinters.
We had a wonderful experience with South Wind, and will not hesitate to return!!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Jan L
Reviewed 23 May 2017

Spent several days at the beach for my grandson's birthday. The room had an excellent view of the beach. The location was perfect for visiting the North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher. There are several friendly nearby eateries as well. No pets are allowed and we had a non-smoking room, which was perfect.

Stayed: July 2016
1  Thank kiromancer
Reviewed 14 March 2017

My husband and I needed a place to stay at the last minute this past Saturday. I wasn't expecting much when we stayed here because of the inexpensive price and reviews I had read on other websites. I was honestly pleasantly surprised. We had an oceanfront room on the third floor. Our view from the room was great! The room was clean and nice. The motel was well-lit at night, so I felt safe walking to my room when we arrived. The customer service provided by the staff was phenomenal. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anniemwashington
Reviewed 31 October 2016

We usually get a condo for the week, but this was a last minute back to school trip. Positives: It was great to be right next to the pier and fishing. The boys could walk to the arcade and good food and a nice park were nearby. The pier is always a great visit. The fishing was close and LOTS of knowledgeable fisherman on site. Mini-kitchen was well stocked for cooking fish.
Negatives: To get to any room you must pass through the balcony of other rooms... and every single other occupant was a smoker. Heavy smokers. The view was mostly of the parking lot... and then the ocean. The pool was a party center... again lots of smoking and floating drinking. Even the staff smoked. Everywhere. The room itself was OK, the location being the one redeeming factor. The price was NOT in keeping with the quality of the room and there were no discounts: AAA, state employees etc,

Room Tip: Ask for ocean front unless you want to look right into someone else's room or have folks stomp across your balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family