Adventure Bound Campground
Beachwoods Resort(Kitty Hawk)
US$ 383
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
Driftin' Sands Motel(Kill Devil Hills)
US$ 159
US$ 152
Sea Ranch Resort(Kill Devil Hills)(Great Value!)
US$ 189
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills(Kill Devil Hills)(Great Value!)
US$ 124
US$ 209
US$ 185
QualityInn
Cypress Moon Inn(Kitty Hawk)
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 May 2011

We came with a high adventure crew full of high school students. Most of these kids are very used to roughing it, but this wasnt what we expected. We camped in the tree area with the peacocks. The peacocks are LOUD AND NEVER SHUT UP !! All night, every 30 min or so they will scream at the top of their lungs. They sleep in the trees and will poop on your tent. The bath house was gross! This place also has a CHEAP hostile on site. The folks staying there looked a little shady. They avoided us for the most part, but one man aka "Pirate" as the kids started to call him was really strange. It wasnt a total loss. The ground are beautiful and the owner was really nice. They offer plenty of space, central fire pit, on site grills, volleyball, horseshoes, and plenty of nature. It has so much potential..... if they get rid of those dang peacocks.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank crewdaddy
Reviewed 24 March 2011

Stayed here with my wife and 3 young kids for two nights and we had a great time. Let me first say this is an “unusual” campground. There are only a few small sites in the wood, and a large field where they say you can pitch your tent “where ever you want”. When we were there it was not very crowded so we felt like we had the entire place to ourselves. The bathrooms were clean and they had hot water for showers. The owners are very nice and while we were there they made a large camp fire for all the guests. The peacocks (3 of them) were kind of cool - my kids absolutely loved watching them (we're city folk so we don't see peacocks very often). They were noisy one of the nights we were there, I think it's mating season, but that didn't really bother us.

If we were going again in the off-season I would stay there again. But during busy season I don’t think I would stay there as there wouldn’t be any privacy and it would probably be very noisy.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nshackles
Reviewed 15 November 2010

I needed a cheap place to stay before running in the OBX half marathon, and from the website the hostel at this campground seemed to be what I was looking for. I was expecting something very basic at this price (~$23 with tax off season rate), but after seeing the "dorm" I was assigned to I almost slept in my car rather than have to go back in there. I could go on at length about how much I hated my stay here, but I'll focus on the biggest problems. 1) It was filthy: a thick layer of dust and grime covered everything in the room, the carpet had clearly never met a vacuum cleaner, it smelled awful and it was crawling with bugs. 2) General dilapidation and lack of structural integrity: The outside of both buildings is falling apart, there are rotten parts of the stairs/decks, and the entire building I stayed in shook whenever someone walked up the stairs (not kidding here). The mattresses in my room were coming apart at the seams. I slept horribly, waking up at least every hour to a noise/the building shaking/general discomfort. 3) It may not be an issue for those traveling with a companion, but I did not feel safe staying there by myself. If it matters, I'm a frequent camper/backpacker and live alone, so dirt/bugs/being alone in the dark/rustic settings in general don't bother me very much, but this was ridiculous.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank mtn2seas49021
Reviewed 12 September 2010

This was the worst camping experience I have EVER had (and I've been winter camping in Michigan were you had to dig down two feet of snow to put up your tent). First there are no actual sites you "pitch a tent" where you want on a yard. There were no fire rings and when we went the yard was flooded so the only option was right next to someone else. The bathrooms themselves weren't too bad, but the showers were GROSS! We were on the other side of the peacocks and didn't hear them. What we did hear was the all of the "permanent residents" nighttime activities, if you get my drift. I have never seen so many people go in and come out of one room in one night... This is my advice you really want to camp do not do it hear, it may be the cheapest in town but it is NOT WORTH IT! The extra you spend somewhere else will be the best money you ever spent.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank buck2010
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Let's keep in mind that this is an inexpensive campground less than five minutes from the beaches of the Outer Banks and a 24/7 7-eleven. The price was right and check in was friendly and easy. We were there for a long 4th of July weekend and got there the night before the rest of the crowd. The campsite didn't fill up nearly as much as we thought it would, although it certainly wasn't empty! There are a few campsites in the back, near the trees. I would recommend trying to camp back there, as you're shaded from the early morning sun. The bathrooms weren't very clean, although it was a busy weekend. I would recommend wearing flip flops in the shower, and/or just using the outdoor one instead. One of the oddities about this campsite is there are two peacocks roaming around the grounds. At times, they can be quite loud. Between the heat and the peacocks, it's pretty hard to sleep in. All things in perspective, though, it's a great deal and I would definitely camp there again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple