New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Westminster, MD
“Middle-class excellence.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2012

The Mariner is an older hotel on the ocean front and I assume it has seen it's share of tropical storms. It is also not for the rich and famous. It consists of two structures. the older "basic and plain" is situated north-to south, and the newer is situated East to west. (look at Google Satellite). When you look at the website, the East-West structure mentions room by the word "suite", while the older contractor grade/room building has the word "room" in the description. Big difference!!. Now some background on me....I've slept at many hotels (150-200) over the past 30 years for work primarily, and I can't STAND hotels that allow themselves to become nasty dens of grossness, even the nice ones. I stay at a diverse range of quality depending on the project's budgets. That is not the case with the Mariner. I have stayed there for work a hand full of occasions now. I deliberately look for "the little things" as opposed for the latest and greatest of cool amenities. When I look for things like poorly maintained fixtures, interiors, and exteriors, what I find here is a staff that does the BEST they can with what they have to work with (older facility), AND succeeding at it!!!!!!! I care about that...the little things that reflect on the quality of the stay. So far each and every staff member I have had interactions with have been bright, not scary, willing to please, and even promote their employer. By comparison, I usually stay at Hampton Inn's in the cities I work in, and have been so frustrated at the poorly maintained rooms (broken lights with exposed wiring, boot-prints on their cloud-like blankets, staff that rolls their eyes at you when you complain, etc), having also quit staying at Sleep Inn, Quality Inn and the like for similar issues. I told the ladies (Susanne and Lori) at Mariner a few moments ago that I appreciate a hotel and a staff that actually "cares", and are intelligent enough to perform their roles. She thanked me and suggested this website....so here I am, praising the organization (or single hotel at least) that cares enough to make your "Middle Class" stay very clean and positive. I keep stressing Middle Class, because we are what makes this economy crank!!!! and it's the Middle Class $$$ that deserve to be met equally $ for $ (not counting summer-time rates of course). Now I've not stayed in each room there, but of the ones I have (one "Room" and a few "Suites"), the only complaint you should have is Mariner NOT being comparable to the Waldorf or the Ritz...or a drizzly rain on the beautiful Outer Banks of NC....the location of my future retirement vacation home. My first stay there, I looked at several contractors trucks in the parking lot, and figured I should lock me vehicle doors and set the alarm, But after much reflection, I reverted back to my opinion that it's the good Middle Class that makes this economy crank, and these were my Brothers. I wish the best for Mariner, and sincerely hope YOU will find in the Mariner a hard working staff and a reasonable value for your Middle Class $$$. The Outer Banks is addictive, and like I said a moment ago, is my destination for retirement when I'm too old to give a darn. ENJOY your stay!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Pay careful attention to the wording on the online site. "ROOM" will refer to a BIG singl...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Dagsboro, Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

We had a room in the older wing which parallels the beach. Since there is no balcony (just a walkway in front of the window) we could not open a sliding door and listen to the ocean waves and the beach is across the parking lot and additionally an expanse of lawn (and a very nice looking pool) so we felt somewhat distant from the ocean. But the ocean is there and the facility offers some strong positives. The staff was very friendly making us feel welcome and at home. The room was full of amenities (actually rather crammed with them since the room was small and dated). I was actually blown away by the internet access. Usually that service costs extra and is a hassle to use but this site had faster service than I do at home and was free and easy to access. Those well known expensive hotels should take notes! The breakfast area is newly renovated and offers many choices for good eats. With a comfortable bed and lots to do in the vicinity, this motel overall rates as a true bargain deal.

Room Tip: Might try to get into the newer wing which is aimed vertical to the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Chesterfield, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

The two rooms closest to beachfront probably have the best view of the ocean. We could not get the top floor with the balcony view, but the view downstairs was great as well. They cleaned our window glass so we could see the beach better, without having to ask. This building inside had a good size eat in kitchen, a mid-side living space with mounted tv and large picture window view of the ocean, the bedroom was closed off for privacy and featured two very comfortable large beds. The bathroom was less appealing but not bad. The front desk was polite and effiecient. Breakfast items were fresh and tasted great. The coffee was outstanding. The housekeeping could have did a better job cleaning the dresser mirrors and bathroom fixtures but all else was clean. My wife and I really enjoyed the walkway outside our door that led to the look out deck and beach excess point. We picked a time when everything was quiet, no disturbances or loud music, and if you intend to visit the Days Inn and Suites Mariner you must be prepared to watch the sun come up, else you really miss out on a stunning sunrise, from your window view or from outside. I plan to revisit the Mariner in the future and hopefully reserve the room upstairs. We were even asked if we enjoyed our stay which is a rareity to be asked these days.

Room Tip: Last two rooms of theThe Mariner CLOSEST to the Oceanview are the BEST!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn & Suites Kill Devil Hills-Mariner, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us! I said "Yay!" when I finished reading your review as I was quite happy you were happy with your stay with us. I will share your thoughts on the mirrors with our housekeeping staff but am pleased everything else was to your satisfaction. Those 2 end rooms are 1 of a kind at our hotel and you were quite lucky to be able to rent one--normally the one upstairs is booked a year in advance! I'm glad the front desk was attentive and friendly and that you enjoyed our new hot breakfast.

If you are able to visit with us again, please feel free to contact us direct and maybe we'll be able to get you reserved for the room upstairs the next time! Thank you--Tonia
Middletown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

Days inn, 75 feet from the Beach. an older motel, with dated rooms, but very clean. nice, close parking. Close to all attractions and good eating places. staff, helpful and willing to help if you are new to area. Beds were comfy, but bathroom was small, but who cares everything worked. If you are looking for upscale, this is not your place, but if if want a clean, warm, and friendly place for a few nights, its fine. Breakfast buffet in am was well stocked and tasty. Rates were some of the best. Tom

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tom53177
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn & Suites Kill Devil Hills-Mariner, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Thanks Tom for writing a review of your stay with us! I'm happy the staff was able to offer suggestions and recommendations and that you found your stay clean and comfy. We hope that you are able to visit the Outer Banks again and we would love to have you stay with us again for your stay. If you are able to return to the Outer Banks please feel free to contact me or any of the staff and we would be happy to help make reservations for your next stay!
Snohomish, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I usually travel to warm places during the winter day's, but this winter i found myself in North Virginia, (North Carolina) to Kill Devil Hills. I found the best rate and deal at Days Inn. I rented a ocean front room which included breakfast for 4 day's, @49.00 per nite. Although the town was almost that of a ghost town, I found so much pleasure in being paid so much attention to! the weather was 77* the beach was never ending, as the Ocean was being entertained by dolphins and whales, finding treasures on the beach was my favorite pass time. The folks at the Inn were like family, I found myself wanting to stay just a bit longer!

Room Tip: You could choose from a room with or without a full kitchen.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DIManagement, Director of Sales at Days Inn & Suites Kill Devil Hills-Mariner, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Well we're very happy you happened to wander to our wonderland instead of heading somewhere "normally" warm during this time of year. We have been very lucky to experience a lot of warmer than normal temperatures this year, so a lot of guests have been able to really enjoy wandering around the beach in 60+ weather.

We appreciate your very kind words concerning our staff and our property and am very much happy you felt like part of our family. We hope that you'll come back and visit again and maybe bring some more warm weather to the Outer Banks with you! Please feel free to contact us for reservations if you should be able to return.....

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
2.4 km away
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanfront - Wilbur
Days Inn Kill Devil Hills Oceanf...
#4 of 19 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,099 reviews
1.9 km away
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 19 in Kill Devil Hills
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,058 reviews
0.1 km away
Sea Ranch Resort
Sea Ranch Resort
#1 of 19 in Kill Devil Hills
4.4 km away
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 19 in Kill Devil Hills
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,262 reviews
4.3 km away
Baymont Inn & Suites Kitty Hawk Outer Banks
2.6 km away
BEST WESTERN Ocean Reef Suites
BEST WESTERN Ocean Reef Suites
#3 of 19 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Days Inn & Suites Kill Devil Hills-Mariner? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK