1,088 results
All reviews colony iv tower building indoor pool waffles hot tub continental breakfast dune view second floor two queen beds waffle maker floor room beach access biscuits and gravy private balcony the breakfast area watch the sunrise jockey's ridge
Reviewed 18 September 2018 via mobile

Fantastic place to stay. Right on the beach,the staff was wonderful, especially those working the breakfast room September 3-7. Super clean and comfortable, I definitely would stay there again. Walking distance to a lot.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Karen V, General Manager at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2018

Hello sgermannowlin,

Thank you for the nice review, we appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your visit. Debbie and Justin will be thrilled to know that you think they are wonderful in the breakfast room, and of course the rest of the staff too. We are delighted to know that you have a wonderful visit with us. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 September 2018

Overall had a great experience here.

The only reason I didn't give 5 stars is because I almost never give 5 stars. Something has to be incredibly super amazingly over the top wonderful to get 5 stars out of me.

They even have a decent free breakfast. Not luxury, but very good, and covered all the basics, including waffle makers. Add that up, that is a $10 per day per person savings over eating breakfast out.

Staff was universally great, ranging from "very pleasant and professional" to "extremely friendly and helpful"

We did have one bad experience, but it was *extremely unusual* and the staff dealt with it pretty well. While there, the power went out to about half the facility. Turned out that one of their mains had corroded and split in two. They got emergency electric crews there and had it repaired within about 8 hours. Like I said, this was *very* unusual. The only thing I'd recommend to the staff there in the event of something weird like that is to communicate a little better to the guests about what happened, how it is going to be resolved, and how long an ETA. They didn't withhold any info, they just didn't take an effort to ensure everyone knew what was going on, though.

Like I said, very unusual, lasted 8 hours, but probably many people didn't even notice, as they were out at the beach or whatever.

I will definitely go back to Shutters on the Banks (assuming they are still there after hurricane Florence)

Date of stay: August 2018
Karen V, General Manager at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2018

Hello Jeff H,

Thank you for the review. We appreciate you taking the time to tells about your recent stat. We are delighted to know you enjoyed your visit with us. We do apologize for the power outage, we did our best to contact all the guests though the contact information we had on file. When dealing with the electric company we were at their means and their timelines , we will review our policy and procedure for emergencies , we are always looking at ways to improve ourselves. Again, thank you for your comments. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

So I have as reservation here to check in next Monday and called the hotel to ask two simple questions because I did not see anything in what I had read in the hotel description with regards to my two questions. I called at about 9:10 pm and a woman answered the phone and asked if I could hold. So she put me on hold and never came back. I waited almost 5 minutes on hold before hanging up. Not a great way to start a relationship with a client. I understand if the front desk was busy. But she could have gotten back on the phone after a minute or two of me holding and said please call back in 5 or 10 minutes or please continue to hold I'll be with you shortly. Little courtesies are just as important as the big ones. I could only give one check because I haven't stayed yet and so far we're not off to a great start.

Date of stay: September 2018
1  Thank karaokedreaming
Karen V, General Manager at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2018

Hello karaokedreaming,

You are absolutely right and we apologize that you were put on hold. We will review our telephone procedures with staff and the importance of all our guest. We hope that you got your questions answered, if not please feel free to call us again. We look forward to your visit next week.

Reviewed 29 August 2018 via mobile

The room was very clean and we loved having the refrigerator and table in the room. Breakfast was great! Staff was very friendly. Enjoyed the indoor and outdoor pool and hot tub. Close to many area attractions and great restaurants.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Karen V, General Manager at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2018

Hi scorpio362,

Thank you for the review, we appreciate you taking the timeout to tell us about your stay with us. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you all again soon.

Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

My wife & I planned a last minute weekend to OBX & she booked our 2 night stay at Shutters because she used to stay there growing up with her parents each year (Colony IV back then). I can’t say enough positive things about this hotel. We had a 2nd floor room in the main building facing the dunes but were also able to see the ocean. View was beautiful. Easy gazebo & private beach access. Free breakfast with more choices than I have in my own kitchen. The pools were clean, & nicely maintained. We got to town early & after my wife did some shopping, we went to check in. It was only noon so our room wasn’t ready but we were given our parking pass & key to the indoor pool so we spent the afternoon at the beach & in the indoor & outdoor pool areas. All of the staff we encountered were helpful & very friendly. Room was clean, beds were comfortable & a/c & mini fridge worked well. Plenty of fresh towels. Thank you for an all around great weekend stay. We have stayed at other places on our OBX trips & paid more per night & the accommodations didn’t come close to Shutters.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family

Hello quadracer1461,

We are so excited you could come back and visit us and see all our changes over the years. We are so delighted that you enjoyed your visit with us. Please come back sooner than your last visit..... Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay we really appreciate it. See you all soon.