“Great visit!”

Shutters On the Banks
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We just stayed at this hotel last weekend and had a very pleasant stay. The staff is incredibly nice and you can't beat the beach access. While the rooms weren't fancy they were super clean! Honestly we didn't spend much time in the room so it didn't matter. Both the indoor and outdoor pools were great. The tiling was really pretty and looked brand new. If you are looking for a luxury resort this isn't it, but if you want family friendly, budget friendly this is a great choice!

Room Tip: get one with a view, it's worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Tom H, General Manager at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Thanks for the review. We are glad you enjoyed your visit with us and to the Outer Banks.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Shutters On the Banks

Reviewed 6 August 2012

This was a great hotel. My family and I got three hotel rooms, and we loved how accessible it was to the beach. Also, the indoor pool and outdoor heated pool were great. The staff was very warm and welcoming as well. The kids loved the conventional breakfast. I wish there were warm eggs, sausages, and bacon, but they didn't have a bad spread.

I think the only issue we found is that we were on the bottom floor, and it seems that they need to add padding to the upstairs room. In all of our rooms, we kept hearing the upstairs people banging and pounding away. I think it was probably small kids making the noise because I can't imagine adults getting crazy like that. They should probably keep families with smaller children downstairs or tell the people upstairs to be mindful of the people below them. I doubt some will listen because not everyone is considerate, but it could help some.

Overall, it was a great experience and we would recommend it for someone who needs a place to stay at the Outer Banks when making last minute plans.

Room Tip: If you want to not deal with other visitors' noise, then stay upstairs.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Thanks for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 5 August 2012

Stayed here for two nights and really loved the direct access to the beach. The room was very neat and tidy, the ac worked great and the beds were very comfortable. The continental breakfast was nt bad as continental breakfasts go, and the coffee was not bad either. I cannot think of anything negative to say about our stay here.

1  Thank ladybug1962

Thanks for the review. I am glad your enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

Clean hotel with great location. However, the hallway noise was horrendous. We go to bed early (since we have little ones). I heard conversations, yelling, and slamming doors late into the evening. The walls seemed paper thin. The breakfast was lovely and the staff was very kind and friendly!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa A
Tom H, General Manager at Shutters On the Banks, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2012

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry your family quiet time and sleep was disturbed, we do what we can to keep the noise down, but that doesn't always work. I am glad the rest of your vacation was good. We hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed 1 August 2012

My husband and I stayed at Shutters last summer and were so thoroughly impressed, we rebooked our vacation with them again.

This year, we weren’t as impressed.

Because our vacation fell in July, I decided to book early so that we had our choice of rooms. We chose a First Floor Beach Access room, since it was the same one we had last year and loved the convenience of having the beach walkway right at our door. Not to mention, it made lugging all our stuff easier versus having to drag them up and down the stairs.

Shortly after booking, Shutters put out a special on Facebook, offering rooms at $119/night, Sunday-Thursday. I put in a request for that offer, happy to have some extra spending cash while we were on vacation.

A few days before we were to drive down to NC, I called Shutters to confirm our reservations. For some reason, we were put in a Second Floor Room instead of the First Floor. I asked the customer service rep – who was very sweet, by the way—why it changed and she wasn’t sure. That was fine with me. A room is a room and it had a great view. I must have booked the wrong thing by accident. I then asked if the $119/night offer was still valid and she said that it only applied to certain rooms. She did, however, offer a 10% repeat-customer discount and that was fine by me as well.

After I hung up with her, curiosity got the best of me so I re-checked my e-mail confirmations to see if I had accidentally booked a second floor room, and if there was any fine print on the Facebook offer saying that it applied to certain rooms. The confirmation I received back in May did indeed have us in the First Floor Beach Access room. And there was no fine print on the Facebook offer.

I called Shutters again, and got a different CSR, who was a little less than polite. I explained to her that I did indeed reserve a First Floor room, got a Second Floor, but wanted to see if there was any way we could change it to a First Floor. She would not answer my question, instead, interrupted me every time I tried to say something. “Ma’am, you have a second floor room and it still looks out to the water”, she repeated; and that was all she would say. I politely thanked her, hung up, frustrated and annoyed.

When we checked in a few days later, we ended up paying the exact same amount for our Second Floor room as our First Floor room—supposedly, the 10% was already included in that total. I checked the Shutters’ website and the rates for those rooms were EXACTLY the same. At that point, I was too exhausted from our drive to argue it any further.

Overall, we had a good vacation. The room was nice, yes and housekeeping was on top of things. The front desk folks were always friendly and welcoming. However, Shutters should pay a little more attention to detail when it comes to booking these rooms (and maybe take into consideration that the customer is actually right). I normally wouldn’t make such a big deal about that glitch, but it was enough to make me hesitate booking at Shutters next summer.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank angie a

I am glad we were able to work out this situation and we look forward to seeing you next year. Thank you for the review and to bringing this to my attention.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kill Devil Hills
11.0 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Outer Banks/Kitty Hawk
0.9 km away
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
1.7 km away
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
8.4 km away
Holiday Inn Express Nags Head Oceanfront
0.2 km away
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
#3 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Shutters On the Banks? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK