See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 May 2017 via mobile

Initially my family and I booked a apartment for five days. The reviews with roaches made us reconsider and so we went to cancel the booking to find that we were going to lose a third of our total deposit - 500 out of $1500! That seemed pretty extreme as we were canceling over 2 months in advance of our trip. Note to others - be absolutely sure you want to stay closer to the dump than you do to the beach. And read the fine print carefully as you can't change without stiff penalties.

Date of stay: May 2017
9  Thank JuleeLindsay
Reviewed 20 August 2016

Let me give you a little background on myself. I avoid walking on hotel carpets, I clean my house before the housekeeper comes so she can better do her job, I spend hours looking at reviews before making reservations for anything. I made my reservation for Cambridge Cove in April. It's our first trip to OBX so we weren't familiar with the area. I made the reservation over the phone with a wonderful young lady and the whole payment process was very smooth. I didn't give much more thought to it until a few days before leaving for vacation. I read some recent reviews. Well. Not good. Nervous wreck. We checked into 1102F yesterday. It's beautiful. Nice, good quality beachy decor. The furniture and appliances are clean and of good quality. The kitchen is well stocked.and clean. The beds and pillows are comfortable. The towels are pretty cheap but they're fine and there's enough of them. No bugs, cockroaches, palmetto bugs...saw a couple of spiders on the balconies, as one would expect. I'm walking barefoot on the floor. That's a big deal people! The wifi is fast and we've got smart tvs in all three bedrooms. There are two more tvs in family areas, would assume they're smart but haven't checked. Dual central air, all four levels are cool. It's very quiet. We've got three teenagers with us and don't hear them from our fourth level bedroom. I also noticed the family next to us has many little kids and I hear no noise from they're unit. We'll have to drive about a mile and a half to the beach but that's ok. We're surrounded by restaurants, grocery stores, all the tourist stuff. Kudos to whoever owns 1102F!

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank JAC1268
Reviewed 26 July 2016

Disclosure: I own a townhouse unit that is not for rent. I have never rented at Cambridge Cove, but have read numerous reviews over the years. I'll offer my two cents worth.

Unlike a hotel, for example, although some blocks of units may be have common owners, many are owned individually and rented as such. Many units may be managed by the same firms. But it is mostly up to the owners to decide what gets done, or whom to trust to take care of them in their absence ... just like most beach rental properties are. One ill maintained property unfortunately taints all the rest. One stroke of bad luck has the same effect. One unkind comment, ditto.

The place is a work in progress. The owners association is working to bring the exterior up to our own high standards. The interiors are the responsibility of each individual owner. From what I have seen, most are very proud of their condos, and their reputation. I'd suggest asking the rental firm (I'm assuming all are rented by a firm) to steer you away from the units that have truly had issues that don't seem to get resolved ... if that is a real problem. Furthermore, there has been some owner turnover in the past few years, and I suspect that some original owners who found themselves strapped for cash during/after the crash did not do as much maintenance as current owners can.

Cambridge Cove is only about 10 years old. They are well built. They have charm. They are well laid out. AC is dual zoned. Which brings about the next point. In the summer, those units having a 4th floor bedroom are going to be the warmest room in the unit. We set the temp on the next floor down before going to bed so the AC runs more, and more cool air is forced upstairs. A degree or two lower may not be enough. But I have an ace in the hole. I have installed a blower booster in the lowest vent on the 4th floor so it moves more cooler air from below up to the 4th all day long. and I shut it off when I go to bed. So I'm not starting off with a warm bedroom. Owners take note. Weekly renters - if you are the first renter, or coming in after a lull in renters, ask the owner or management firm to set the thermostats down days in advance, if they have by chance been raised.

We like the 4th floor. The way our unit is designed, we are two floors above our guests. Nobody bothers anybody. I don't know the layouts of all units, however. You might want to ask.

Amenities. Cant say for sure which ones have cable or satellite or wifi, etc. Pays to ask, or insist. Each owner decides what his/her place has/doesn't. That's sometimes part of the mystique. Not cookie cutter decorating, amenities, etc. Of course, that means some will be better than others. Pays to ask the rental firm for an honest assessment. Don't assume you are getting the unit that somebody thought was the best place they ever stayed ... or that they are all like the one that got an exceptionally bad review. For the prices I've seen, you can't beat the goods ones ... as long as you don't need to be able to see or hear the ocean, etc.

Other points to consider. The pool (I'll call it a lazy river water park) seems a favorite of many. Can't say as I blame them. I'm not a crowded, sandy beach person. Besides, the beach is some ways away. On the plus side, you are dead center in the main part of the OBX, between MP 8 and 8.5. Unless of course you want to consider the Duck (plus/minus) area, essentially another OBX world for some. There are good restaurants in either direction, if you elect to take a night (or several) off from the kitchen. Just a few we like $$. Colington Café (a mile away), Black Pelican, Hurricane Mo's, Kelly's, Mako MIke's, Pamlico Jacks, Millers, Millers on the sound, Owens, Dunes, Tale of the Whale, Lone Cedar, Old Nags Head Cafe' (dinner or breakfast), Henry's for breakfast, Darrell's in Manteo for breakfast (a drive, but a nice one over the sound). There are of course others, and we'll let you decide. The above are not cheap, but you usually get your money's worth.

Regardless of where you elect to rent, make sure you let the owner/manager know what you like and don't, and what it will take for you to come back to that place again the next time. You may be doing both of you a favor. If you stay at CC, we hope it is as good or better than you expect. Just don't expect perfection anywhere at the beach unless you are taking out a second mortgage on your house to ensure it.

Best ... BigDeeee

Date of stay: July 2016
7  Thank Big-Deeee
Reviewed 10 June 2016 via mobile

We also stayed in 1111B and also encountered the same bugs others have complained about. My son had to kill them himself. We also called and got no response except to be put off. WE got NO offer to be compensated in any way.
And, as nice as it was to have to bicycles to use, it became impossible to use one of them because it had no inner tube. I can say this because my wonderful husband loaded both bikes into our car and drove them to the corner gas station to pump up the FLAT TIRES. Seriously?
And, if you want your guests to take out the trash upon checking out, then place some dumpsters a little closer so families don't have to drive the distance with the garbage on their laps. Ick.
The interior was pretty much clean and taken care of so I have no complaints there.
Please do a good visual inspection when you arrive!

Date of stay: June 2016
3  Thank Kathleen B
Reviewed 27 May 2016

Upon entering the community, visually it appears aesthetically pleasing, upon further inspection, it is quite evident that these condos have been neglected attention. We had a bit of a challenge with the code, but the 24 hour customer service team was quick and responsive to sort that out. We arrived late in the evening and traveled with toddlers, so I did not inspect the property with a critical eye as much as I did the following morning. That morning we went to use the door on the second floor to access the stairs and a flock of startled birds evacuated a huge nest in the rafters above the door. There was a considerable amount of bird feces, broken eggs and feathers that had turned into a lake of sludge because of the early morning storm. This made using that entrance way impossible. In my opinion, at the very least, if someone had taken the time to visit the property, even 12 hours before, in preparation of our arrival, the amount of fecal matter would not have been so bad. The rooms are small but clean, although the amount of rust on the shower fixtures again, reflected that someone barely paid attention to the small but obvious deficits guests will see. Including the huge spiderwebs in the stairwell. The kitchen was not well appointed with the proper amount of dishes, glassware or cooking pots. These were all minor things that we over-looked. HOWEVER, I could not and will not dismiss that the next evening, after a full day of sightseeing with toddlers, we we ready to turn in for the evening. To my horror and disgust, when I turned down the comfortable, a huge roach scuttled across the pillows and under the bed. My husband and I refused to sleep in the room that night. We made the management team aware and the community manager came and sprayed the room. He also removed the bird's nest and feces from the doorway. I sent the company a strongly worded email the same night asking for someone to contact me regarding the incident. I received a call late in the afternoon the following day , where a representative condescendingly told me these were not roaches, but rather Palmetto bugs and that she empathized with me. It did not sound sincere, furthermore, I did not appreciate you trying to explain away a roach crawling in the bed. I have stayed MANY times in South Beach, FL and NEVER once have I seen a bug in the accommodations. Note to this management company If you are going to charge upwards of $150+ a night, like a 4 star resort, bugs are NOT acceptable, no matter their phenotype. By now, my husband and children were sharing a pull-out queen in the living room because we refused to sleep in the rooms. The second night, we arrived home and went to move a p bag from the dining room floor, when two huge roaches did the Electric Slide across the room. Needless to say, management received a stronger worded letter from me. This was unacceptable. We had been in this condo for LESS than 36 hours and had already encountered 2 separate incidences of pests. We left on a Sunday, so I did not expect a call, but the next day, I proactively contacted the company. I did not receive a call back, but DID get another explanation that what I encountered were not roaches. On a Tuesday, I finally received a call from the manager, who prefaced her call with the same dismissal of the roach terminology. She put onus of the birds nest on the HOA of the community, rather than taking responsibility as the management company. She then offered us a stay in another resort they owned, making promises that our experience could be better. I declined and asked if we could be financially compensated. She offered a mere $75. When I explained to her that the offer felt minimal compared to the cost we incurred to stay with roaches. She then offered a future discount on another property that they owned, but I did not relent. She then offered to refund a night. I didn't argue, because the reality is that they are middle man managing a property, that is not maintained by the owners. The owners clearly don't take pride in the presentation of their property, unless they live on property. At this point, Melanie Kite, the manager of Kees Properties has not followed up with me, despite her commitment to do so, nor followed up on the refund offer. It is appalling to me that this situation has not take priority with this organization. I wouldn't expect to find a roach in my accommodations at the Hilton anymore than it would be acceptable in this "four-star" condo! Their lack of attentiveness to presentation, accommodation details, or follow up is reflected in the property itself. I would have rather chosen a chain hotel, at least it is owned by a corporation that values their brand. Read the other reviews on this property. There will always be some that will chance it, but the last few reviews have NOT be sparkling about this ROACH motel.

Date of stay: May 2016