“Privacy sign means NOTHING”

John Yancey Oceanfront Inn
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Kill Devil Hills
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Prices out the Wazoo for this place. Paid for an oceanfront, pet friendly room with 2 double beds. Thankfully, we only need this room to sleep. The room was small, barely big enough for all of us. The television was so fuzzy, you couldn't see the picture (on all the channels). When we arrived, it was raining and the window in our room was leaking. They offered us another room, but it was not oceanfront. We opted to stay oceanfront. Now---PRIVACY Means NOTHING-----we were at the pool and had placed the Privacy sign in the lock because we didn't want anyone coming in the room to scare the dogs. Purses, electronics and dogs were left securely-undisturbed in the room--or so we thought. I went up to room to get a drink and as I got to top of steps, I notice the door was open. The maintence man was in the room, attempting to fix window, with the door wide open, privacy sign still in place. Both dogs were so scared they were hiding behind the toilet. Talked to the manager and she said she was sorry and would talk to him. I asked what if I had to been in the shower and walked out of the shower with nothing on and he was in there and she said "Oh, he has done that before". Thankfully the dogs did not wonder out of the door he left wide open. We checked everything and it did not look as if our belongings were disturbed, but per the manager, she told him to come speak to us and ask if it was okay for him to go work on it. She said she even told him where we were. He didn't bother to come tell us that he was going to the room. Just helped himself! Sad to say, but I won't be back!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ctpiland

Reviewed 23 July 2012

The john Yancy Inn in Kill Devil Hill's was ok as a hotel/motel, but was the photos on their website are not a true reflection of the rooms! Forget the sky blue bed covers and accent walls - this is your ru of the mill motel with patterned bed covers and curtains - which is a shame given the room pictures they advertise.

That said, the rooms were adequate and clean and reasonable in comparison to other places in the area - but expensive in comparson the the rest of North Carolina.

It was also a shame that the pool was next to the road and not on the sea-side of the complex.

Room Tip: If you want a sea view, opt for a 2nd floor room or above.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Wanting to give money to the local economy and not stay at a "brand" hotel on the outer banks we booked this "Inn." being my wife's 30th Birthday I splurged and looked for a hotel that was on the water front and offered a beach view. I figured at the price I booked this room I would be getting a reasonable good hotel. This was not the case.

We should have seen our chek in as a sign of what was to come. We had to wait fifteen minutes before anyone showed up to the front desk to check us on. This was evidence that the hotel was understaffed.

The room was shabby at best. Cheap furniture, small bathroom, outdated fixtures, chipped paint, uncomfortable bed. The views was great, but through a beat up dirty window. When it rained the window leaked as well as the door to the porch.

The next day our room was not serviced. We informed the front desk, and had to go get our own towels with the promise they would be by the next day. The next day housekeeping came, but while my wife was breast feeding, so we asked if it would possible for them to return in 30 minutes. They said yes and did not bother to show up again until 6pm with a garbage sack of fresh towels.

The breakfast was what you would expect at a cheap hotel. Packaged pastries, a waffle maker, bad coffee, and some cereal.

I would not pay more than $60 a night for this hotel if were inland. Being on the beach I would pay no more than $110 and then you are paying for the view. Upon complaining to the manager they offered a measly 5% off our bill which did not bring it to the prices I just mentioned. I will not say how much I paid because I am embarrassed this cheap motel got me at that price.

Room Tip: Get the Seaside ocean view, but don't pay more than $110 a night or you are getting robbed.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Proto P
Reviewed 22 July 2012

It's an old motel, but reasonably comfortable and clean. No frills, that's for sure! When we got there, the A/C didn't work, but a maintenance man came immediately to fix it. A/C was VERY noisy. Access to the beach is very good. Wifi worked flawlessly. There is no rule against diapered-babies being in the pool, which is kind of disgusting.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2012

My son is a United States Army Soldier and has been gone for 6months and has not seen the Ocean. We grew up on OBX and the first thing he wanted to do is go to OBX. I called every hotel on the beach and not one would let him book a room because he is 19!!!!!! I was amazed the lack of Patriotism and support for one Soldier! But, when I called John Yancey the front desk lady said she had to ask her GM. In about 2 seconds the GM got on the phone and said "if he's old enough to serve this country he's old enough to rent a room and I'm sorry for the other hotels"!! Brought me to tears. Army Moms are a tight group and you better believe the word is spread. My money goes to any business that supports our troops even if its for a weekend. Thanks Linda, I won't forget your kindness or Patriotism.

• Stayed: July 2012