“Tasty gem in a surprising setting”

The Iron Horse Restaurant and Tavern
Ranked #2 of 12 Restaurants in Hot Springs
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 October 2018

One of our group of 8 friends took us to one of her favorites, and the rest of us could see why. We started with an order of the fried green tomatoes for the table. Everyone was waxing eloquent about how good these were---especially in this group of seasoned Southern cooks! At the recommendation of our friend, we all had the sweet potato fries as the side with our sandwiches, and not even one little "burnt end" was left on our plates. Our sandwich orders ranged from the burger to the Cuban, with everyone satisfied with their choice. Beers on tap went down well, too. All this on a little side street overlooking the trains that occasionally passed by, making it a trip back in time to the days of America's small towns connected by railroads.

Reviewed 28 September 2018 via mobile

Today, we had lunch here and met the owners. Firstly, I had the catfish po boy. There's a lot that can go wrong with catfish. Happy to say it was perfect. Not frozen and obviously hand breaded. Also, the small detail of using local and ripe tomatoes was delicious. The owners took the time to talk to us and give us a tour of the inn upstairs. Every room had a special touch or feature. I would love to stay there and the room rates are reasonable! About $75 - $130!

Reviewed 24 September 2018 via mobile

It was our first trip to hit springs and after looking on trip adviser, we decided to eat here. Very nice place. It was very busy, which was a good sign. My wife ordered the filet and I ordered the strip. The flavors were good and I would of given 5 stars for this review if it were not for the fact the steaks were under cooked to our preference. She ordered medium well which came out medium rare and I ordered mine medium rare and it came out very rare.
We did not say anything or have it sent back. The way my wife's was cooked was perfect for me but too rare for her. I ate half my strip, it was just too rare.
On to other stuff. The side items were delicious and plentiful. We also ordered an appetizer of spring rolls and the sauces were amazing.
They had a good wine list and I was surprised to see the craft beer prices were lower than I'm used too.
Never being to Hot Springs before the parking was tricky as there isn't much. When you get to the restaurant hang a right and there is public parking down that way. It's just a short 2 or 3 min walk to the restaurant.
We would try this restaurant again if we ever come back.

Reviewed 11 September 2018

Iron Rail was an unexpected pleasure on an unexpected weekend in Hot Springs, NC. The Iron Horse was a short stroll from the cabin we stayed in. The food was delicious - there were selections for meat eaters, and creative vegetarian dishes. Good selection of NC craft brews, too. Attentive service. Highly recommend. We needed a take out meal which they accommodated by bringing us the order & a container since they normally do not do take out dinners on weekends.

Reviewed 10 September 2018

The food was delicious and large portions. We ate lunch and dinner and selections were plentiful. The owners made us feel very welcome and the wait staff was great!