All reviews main street front porch historic hotel fabulous location three nights desk staff middle of town breakfast was amazing water pressure within walking distance shops and restaurants included breakfast warm hospitality rocking chairs a wonderful stay glass of wine french toast
Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Highlands Inn and were very disappointed. We stayed in their smallest room which is barely bigger than a closet which was fine but the price they charged was too high. Upon checking out the next day which we were granted an hour later my wife’s hairspray broke so I headed downstairs to meet our friends who thank goodness she brought hairspray, I was greeted by a grumpy black haired woman who ask what room I was in? I let her know and she said check out was at 12, I told her I understand but my wife was having a wardrobe malfunction. She didn’t care. We ended up checking out at 12:15 and the same lady was at the front desk, my wife thanked her and let her know why we were late, again she shrugged her shoulders and said nothing. To make matters even worse our friends who also stayed at the Highlands Inn already checked out but his wife needed to use the restroom so she went back in to the Front desk and ask the ladies if she could use the restroom. Both were very rude and said they did not have any restrooms, she then reminded them that they had just checked her out 30 minutes prior and did they not remember her? They told her the restroom was in the basement. Will not stay here ever again. I’m sure the owner of this Inn does not see these reviews.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank LonP_12
shaycor, Owner at Highlands Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2018

Thank you for your review. The owner of the Inn does see these reviews, as I work at the Inn most every day. Please allow me to address your concerns. First and foremost, I was working with housekeeping cleaning rooms on this weekend and was at the Inn on this particular Sunday. Let me state that you made a one night reservation for saturday night in room 39, which is advertised as the smallest room in the house and also the cheapest. You paid $169 and that rate comes with breakfast for two in our dining room. Too expensive? That was for downtown, main street Highlands on an August, in season, Saturday night. We normally have a two night minimum, but a couple of early checkouts, allowed you to secure a last minute, one night reservation, when you called to book your room (at noon) on the same day you were arriving. We had another (larger) room available, but you chose the cheapest one. How can you be dissapointed when that was your choice? I also note that checkout is 11 and you were graciously given until 12:15, even though you did not request ,in advance, a late checkout. I am sorry that you thought our staff rude and I feel that she did not not mean to be or I would not be defending her. Asking permission for a late checkout and taking one, are two very different things. We have exemplary customer service and I feel our staff excels, however, we are also a business. On Sundays, we must flip every room in the Inn in four hours. Arriving guests expect to be able to check in at stated time and, not being able to grant that, places us at a disadvantage with arriving guests. Therefore, it is difficult to grant late checkouts. You, however, had a ‘wardrobe malfunction’ with a bad can of hairspray, and how can we not understand that?

Now to address your friend that came back to use the restroom. I appreciate you taking on the quest of smearing us with a bad review at the request of your friends in room 36. Had I not been standing at the front desk during a shift change and not five feet from the woman coumterpart when she walked in the door, I would Not know the facts surrounding what really happened. . The statements you have made here are totally untrue. False! The lady counterpart walked in shortly after 3 pm, and said ‘do you remember ME? I just checked out and would like to use your restroom if that is ok?’ Two desk clerks, very politely, said, ‘ sure, no problem.’ End of story.

I might suggest, in the future, you consider the libel of your actions when trying to harm a business. You have a right to review and give honest feedback and incident, but it must be truthful and not made Of malicious lies. My sincere hope is that my response sets the record straight with anyone that reads this review that is hesitant in staying with The Highlands Inn. We have hundreds of beautifully written reviews in our guestbook journals within our rooms of satisfied customers that are not allowed to post on tripadvisor. Unfortunatley, social Media posts such as this one, have become a looming threat to businesses by customers that want to be rewarded for behaving badly and used by the younger generation as a leverage tool.

I sincerly hope you find suitable accomodations on your future visits to Highlands.

Reviewed 28 August 2018

We were very disappointed in our visit this year from last year. It seemed that service and quality had gone down and prices went up. Breakfast last year was very good and we had 3 choices of an entree. This year it was "take it or leave it" on one choice. There had been no improvement on some issues we had experienced last year. There are no grab bars in the shower. Which can be very dangerous for older clients. We had the same room and nothing had been changed. The blinds were broken, the chest of drawers was unuseable, the curtain rod was broken and the door lock came off and the elevator broke and we were on the second floor with senior adults who had great difficulty maneuvering the steep stairs. This is a shame because we love the location, sitting on the porch and great restaurants nearby.

Date of stay: August 2018
1  Thank aard123
Reviewed 24 August 2018

If you want to be in the center of town, this is it. I was expecting a bit more class in this historic hotel. The decor is old - not in a cool, historical way, but more in a "we haven't touched anything in 30 years".

But, it is central on main. Parking is up for grabs with the rest of the shoppers. Can be crowded during check in time.

Room was larger than expected.

The balcony was great for a glass of wine prior to an evening out. Walkable to all the restaurants.

Room tip: room with access to balcony
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2018

This historic hotel could be really fun to visit -- probably was, sometime ago. Alas, these days it is indifferently run, incredibly expensive, and pretty empty. Staff were very friendly but seemed more like caretakers than anything else. The included breakfast was very minimal, indifferently served, and more like a cheap breakfast in a chain hotel than anything else. Cheerios, hard-boiled eggs, and tasteless coffee with curdled cream packets was certainly not like a B&B experience. We carried our bugs up to our 2nd floor room and discovered later there was an elevator serving other parts of the hotel. The hotel is quaint and very conveniently located but not enough to justify the price.

Room tip: Ask to be near the elevator, or in the small buildings in the courtyard behind the hotel.
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2018

I stayed here two weeks ago for the first time. From the relaxing lobby to the cozy room, the stay was extremely comfortable. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I would definitely return here for a relaxing weekend.

Room tip: Main floor rooms are close to the fresh baked cookies in the evenings.
Date of stay: June 2018