New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages

Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Highlands
atlanta
“Cozy, warm, comfortable, affordable!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

My room was so cozy and comfortable. Just last week, I stayed at a hotel in Orlando with floresecent lights and cold impersonal feeling, so stepping into the room at Mitchell's made me think ...YES! It's so homey. I brought my darling dog along so missed out on the room I thought I was going to have with the fireplace, but the room I got was the perfect combination of rustic and convenience. It was cozy, with rustic, plne log furniture, thick quilt on the bed, a wet bar with dishes, sink, refrigerator and microwave, plus a lovely deck overlooking a little stream with nice funiture outside to sit and contemplate. (Some rooms do NOT have a private deck it seems....they join adjacent rooms, but even they have a little rocker outside.)

It was FREEZING cold in Highlands the night I was there (and keep in mind that the town of Highlands is seasonal and not much open in the winter), so didn't really get to enjoy the starry night, but I was so happy to have a cozy comfortable room at Mitchel's Lodge. The lobby had a roaring fire going when I arrived and the people were all so sweet and nice. I feel so good giving this type of place my business. Love it!

Room Tip: Call and tell them what you want...they will help you find the perfect fit...many choices!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank bigmura
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Watkinsville, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

We booked a very last minute trip to Highlands, NC at the end of December. Great location, close to the lovely town of Highlands. We upgraded to the 2 bedroom cottage and it was perfect for our family. Our kids loved the duck pond and the pavilion area. We enjoyed New Year's Eve at this cozy place. Very clean and the staff was very friendly. The cottage had an equipped kitchen, dining room, fireplace in the living area and a deck near the pond. Although one of the queen beds in one of the rooms was a bit lopsided, all in all, this was a great deal and we hope to return again soon.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Cecilia2011J
Tavernier, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

We discovered this gem tucked away in the beautiful mountain village of Highlands NC. It was like stepping back in time. Our room was rustic in decor and spotlessly clean. It overlooked a
brook and we had a fireplace. We hit it at the height of fall foliage and the staff was very helpful in showing us mountain trails to go hiking on. The room comes with a continental breakfast which was more than adequate with fresh fruit and muffins, cereal juice and great coffee. The staff was more like family and could not have made us feel more welcome and at home. We had original planned on spending one night and stayed for 3. The is a very sweet resident cat
named "Bootsie" who came several times to visit us in our room and make us feel right at home. We felt honored. We will be back. Great place and staff

Room Tip: Ask for twin, queen or king bed
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank WinnieTavernier
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2011

My husband and I were here in August 2011. We booked for 2 nights but we liked the place and so we decided to stay one night more. The location is great! so closed to many lovely attraction such us beautiful falls!
We booked a Deluxe suite and we were upgrade in a lovely deluxe Kitchen suite.
Our room was very big and clean; there were a fireplace, a jacuzzi, a small kitchen with fridge and microvaves, a deck with table and chairs.
The only thing that I dind't like was the following: breakfast in the morning is very simple and poor :(
All the staff was very kind and friendly and the place are more lovely than appear in the website!
Absolutely I would like to came back to highlands and to stay here ! Some friends od mine suggested me this place and I never stop to say "Thank you"!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank FedericaRoma_Italy
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

While the location is good, this establishment is "very tired". I felt like I shouldn't touch anything. The pillows had to be original to the room. My wife needed a nap and instead of laying down in the bed, she slept in the car.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank J H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
0.4 km away
Old Edwards Inn and Spa
Old Edwards Inn and Spa
#1 of 7 in Highlands
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,077 reviews

Been to Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK