“Beautiful Setting” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 7 Highlands B&B and Inns
New York
“Beautiful Setting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2005

Beautiful setting in lovely Highlands, North Carolina, surrounded by mountain scenery at a cool elevation of 4000 feet.

This upscale inn provides all the comforts anyone could want. We stayed in a "luxury room", in a newly built section. The room was large, with a most comfortable king bed, comfortable pillows and a very quiet airconditioner. The bathroom was large with a jacuzzi. The generous back deck faced thick woods, so that we left the screen door open all night and got the fresh mountain air. The inn has a lovely public sitting room, where wine and canapes are set out each evening for guests. Dinner is not served here, but they will make a reservation for you in one of the town's wonderful restaurants.

Just a few negatives. Breakfast is one set hot meal. The morning that we were there, it was eggs, cheese and bacon in some kind of wrap. We were not asked if this was what we wanted, nor was I offered something else, when I said that I don't eat eggs. I then requested toast, which was brought to me, but only after I was told that the waitress didn't know if they had any. She was very inexperienced, and therefore, did not make us feel welcome. Another negative was one of my pet peeves. They were building a cabin on the property and thus loud construction noise greeted us on the day that we arrived. We were NOT told in advance that this would be the case.

The inn is rather expensive for this area, (it costs as much as we spent in a first class hotel in Boston last weekend), and cell phone service is not available here. We had to use our phone calling card, but we were charged $1.00/per phone call, even though we used our calling card. Our calls did not cost the inn any money, and yet they felt justified charging us for the connections.

5 Thank SophiaNY
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2005

My husband and I just went to the Inn at Half Mile Farm for our first anniversary. We loved staying at this bed and breakfast. It was the first time that we had ever stayed at a b&b...so we weren't quite sure what to expect--but we were so pleasantly surprised. The whole place had an elegant yet laid back and comfortable feel. The owners several dogs roamed the property and even the main buildings. The wine selections that were served were great. Our room was #22, its the handicapped room and therefor our room was much larger that the middle grade rooms. We had a great view of the courtyard from our porch. The food served was in great presentation and absolutely gormet. The only problem that we encountered whatsoever while we were in Highlands, NC was that we were generally the youngest people wherever we went. My husband and I are in our mid-20s and at times we felt as if we were not getting as much attention or service from the local service staff (and at times the staff at the Inn at Half Mile Farm) because we looked younger and less wealthy than all of the other customers in town. I'm not saying that we ever recieved horrible service....well, here's an example: I am on a restricted diet. When my husband and I went down to our first breakfast at the Inn, we saw several other couples eating. On of the groups of people were two British couples. They had obviously been at the Inn for several days and the staff was chatting with them about their plans for the day. They all had the same main meal but some people had different extras (bread, fresh fruits, etc). After serving our coffee, I tried to get the waitresses' attention to ask her if it would be possible to see a menu. She explained that there was always just one type of breakfast served each borning. Wheat they brought out, while certainly gormet and beautiful, I was not able to eat due to the sugars involved in it. I asked what else was available and the waitress simple said, "Well, over there we have cereal and milk." Mind you, I had clearly explained my dietary restrictions when I made the reservations with the front desk months ago. I didn't think it was really that big of a deal, because I am used to having to search through a menu or meal at a restaurant to find a no sugar meal to eat. However, I was just kind of upset that the table next to me clearly received a different meal of fresh fruits and fresh breads and all I wanted was a couple of plain old scrambled eggs (when eggs had been used in the meal we were served). Just be advised that this particular b&b caters more to the wealthy than those seeking sligt individual attention. Overall, my husband and I had a fantastic time and would definitely go back for another weekend...we'll just go out for breakfast instead!

• Stayed July 2005
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2003

My husband and I stayed at The Inn at Half Mile Farm for my birthday in October. I can't say enough wonderful things about our visit. When we walked into our room, we felt right at home. The furnishings are gorgeous including the cozy fireplace, balcony, bay windows facing the incredible fall foliage, and four poster bed. The bathroom had a fabulous jetted tub that I could have stayed in forever. The decor was charming. I loved the alcove nooks in the bathroom to place all toiletries and space in the closets to hide away luggage. Every day there was a delicious breakfast in a sunny closed in side porch and every afternoon you could enjoy wine in the lovely living room. The grounds were stunning and immaculate, offering a beautiful spot to sit and enjoy their glassy lake. The service was spectacular- they were friendly and attentive and handled all of our restaurant reservations for us in advance. Housekeeping was immaculate. We loved every minute of our stay and can't wait to go back for another visit!!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
1.9 km away
#1 of 7 in Highlands
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,127 reviews
2.2 km away
Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages

Been to Half-Mile Farm by Old Edwards Hospitality? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK