“Always the best!”
Review of Fire Mountain Inn

Fire Mountain Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Highlands B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I have stayed at Fire Mountain multiple times, but this was my first time staying in one of the cabins. We stayed in the Galax cabin. As usual, the accommodations were spotless. For anyone for whom cleanliness is important, Fire Mountain is your place! The cabin itself is beautiful, with hardwood floors and simple, yet elegant, decor. The jacuzzi tub was perfect for relaxing in after a day of hiking and ziplining. The living area - couch and fireplace - was romantic, while the kitchen area (fridge and stove) allowed us to bring our own foods to enjoy. We were even greeted by the horses who live adjacent to the property - they came right up to the fence and allowed us to stroke their manes.

Overall, i cannot recommend Fire Mountain enough. Anyone who is visiting the Highlands NC area would be foolish to stay anywhere else. Beautiful and spotless accommodations, helpful and friendly staff, all nestled in the mountains with breath-taking scenery all around.

Room Tip: Four different stays - four different locations - and not a bad spot yet!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 April 2012

We decided to pack the van up with our three kids (11 yo boy and 8 yo twin girls) and dog for a no-electronics Spring Break . We were at Fire Mountain 2 hours and 15 minutes later. We rented the Hemlock, which is the largest cabin on the property. It has two bedrooms with bathrooms, and a large kitchen and living area. There's a huge stone fireplace, which took the place of our large-screen TV at home. The jacuzzi on the back deck was a great source of entertainment, and was ready for our use immediately upon arrival, which is what the kids decided to do while we settled in. The deck faces east, so we had a fantastic sunrise view, and then had evening shade. We prefer to cook in, and found the kitchen very well equipped with all we needed, incuding a water bowl and some dog biscuits for the pup. We did eat out once --- Brick Oven Pizza, about 12 minutes or so from Fire Mt. The kids loved the "ranch pizza" (made with ranch dressing, go figure, it was tasty). We also had some treat awating us --- some chocolate-covered cherries, of which I had one-half of one (greedy children). Also some homemade granola in a canning jar, which we are still nibbling on. The bedrooms each had a king bed and a twin bed. Very handy and comfortable cabin all the way around.

We had breakfast delivered to our cabin, which I really recommend doing at least once -- it's all packed up in a picnic basket, and very hot and ready to eat upon arrival, which we designated. It is an extra expense to have it delivered, but we like to do it once during our stays.

The kids really enjoyed the grounds of Fire Mountain, and they took the dog and went exploring while we had relaxing afternoons on the deck. As a bonus, the kids loved feeding the horses on the adjoining property. Everything was beginning to bloom and just so gorgeous. (This is my third review, so I am trying not to repeat myself, so please see my previous for more details about my total satisfaction!)

Thanks again go to the Innkeepers, Hiram and Mathew -- their vast knowledge of everything Highlands (the hiking, the road conditions, the restaurants) always make our visits extra special.

We wanted to stay longer, as usual. I was apprehensive about the kids actually enjoying four days with no electronics. I shouldn't have worried! They didn't want to leave any more than I did! We are already planning to return for Memorial Day (while the kids visit Granmpa and Grandpa!)

Room Tip: Hemlock was perfect for a family and a dog!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We recently traveled to Fire Mountain to celebrate my wife's birthday. I was seeking a unique place and I found it in Fire Mountain. Matthew was there to greet us and show us around and was very helpful throughout our too brief stay. Our room was perfect--floor-to-ceiling glass on two sides so we had both the sunrise and sunset from our sofa. The fireplace added a romantic touch and all I had to do was light it. We spent most of our time on the Fire Mountain grounds and felt the spirit of place. It was peaceful, beautiful, relaxing, and spiritual. The vistas were breathtaking. We did not want to leave and we can hardly wait to retutn. Matthew and Hiram, thanks for a memorable experience.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We recently visited Fire Mountain to celebrate our anniversary and we had a wonderful experience there! Hiram and Matthew were extremely inviting and helpful. Our stay there was peaceful, quiet, relaxing and we really enjoyed beautiful mountain views from the balcony of our room! We stayed in Red Thunder and I would definitely recommend that room. We actually got upgraded to that room when we arrived and we are so glad that we did! We really enjoyed the delicious breakfast that we got each morning and the staff was so attentive and nice. It was truly a relaxing escape and made for a special anniversary weekend. We would love to stay at Fire Mountain again!

Room Tip: Red Thunder has great mountain views and watching the sunset from that room is spectacular!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Fire Mountain is like no other place in our conscious existence…a haven where we literally feel our worries and stresses melt away…a place where noise, clutter and waste are replaced by peace, simplicity and respect.

We are multiple repeat guests @ Fire Mountain and every visit somehow tops the previous. Shortly after we met we decided to take a trip together; fortunately we were beyond blessed to find Fire Mountain. Without the noise and distractions of our lives, we explored each other’s souls and we discovered more about ourselves in those few days than we had in years. A few years later, on that same happy hill, my girlfriend became my fiancé…a feeling that I cannot describe with words. And now we’ve returned as wife and husband, wondering all the while what might’ve become if we hadn’t afforded ourselves the chance to honestly learn about each other, together, years ago at this special place…our favorite place.

There’s a song we sing to each other:

When the sun runs out and there's no one to save you,
Will you go to our favorite place and try to say goodbye?
At the end of, at the end of the world,
Will you find me, will you find me?
At the end of, at the end of the world,
Will you find me so that we can go together, together, together…

When that time comes, my wife and I know where to find each other…

Chris

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GTjacket02
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highlands
13 km away
Skyline Lodge and Restaurant
28.6 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Cashiers-Sapphire Valley
12.6 km away
Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages, Inc.
13.5 km away
The Chandler Inn
The Chandler Inn
#5 of 7 in Highlands

Been to Fire Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK