“Best hot dogs and hush puppies in High Point”
Review of Kepley's Barbecue

Kepley's Barbecue
Ranked #13 of 311 Restaurants in High Point
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 2 October 2018

Comfort food at its finest - made-to-order hot dogs and homemade hush puppies - and you can get Cheerwine here!

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 11 July 2018 via mobile

Came for lunch yesterday while visiting from Canada. Some of the moms I met at our daughter’s lacrosse camp insisted I try BBQ while in NC for my first time. I had pulled pork, coleslaw and hush puppies. Very tasty! Different as meat and coleslaw had string vinegar flavour but I liked it. The hush puppies were yummy!!! Now this place is NOT fancy but staff were friendly, food wS good and the price was right.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 9 July 2018

We went here because the BBQ place we were heading for was closed for a week. So I did a search and this one came up and we decided to give it a shot because of the ratings and because it said it was pit bbq.

This is an old establishment of the "hole in the wall" style. There are about a dozen booths, but if you want a table you're out of luck. Personally I prefer booths, but we did see them actually lose some customers because the guy was just too heavy to fit, these are a snugger fit than some.

We asked the cute young (yes, girl next door, braces on the teeth young) waitress exactly what kind of meats they had, since the menu was non specific. We asked her particularly if they had pulled pork, since that's what we like and she said that's all they had. We ordered the large (8 oz. meat) plate which comes with red slaw and hushpuppies. She said she would put the slaw on the side since some people don't like it. I prefer regular coleslaw, but that's not an option.

It was only about 5 min. before she came out with our dinners, all served in cardboard containers. The pork was not pulled, it was coarse chopped, which is a totally different thing. It was tougher than it should have been and had absolutely no hint of smokiness, but was tangy with vinegar. There was a bottle of a vinegar base sauce on the table that gave it a little more flavor. The red slaw was better than some, but is never going to be my "thing." It was tart and had a hint of horseradish.

Enter the hushpuppies! These were excellent! They were hot, crunchy on the outside, lightly sweet and tender on the inside. They were everything a hushpuppy should be. I could have happily just had a couple of dozen of these bits of heaven for dinner and been satisfied.

The people here were so nice that I feel sad that I can't give them 4 or 5 stars. I'm hoping we just hit an off night, but I doubt that we'll go back again unless I have a craving for perfect hushpuppies.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 6 July 2018

Once a year I make it back to my favorite barbecue place. The food is delicious and the people are real southern folks. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Bob and sitting with him while we ate. He tells stories from way back and the history of Kepleys. He is in his 80’s and still comes to work every day! If you’re ever there I hope you have the pleasure of meeting him. One year for my birthday Kepleys actually shipped barbecue and hush puppies to my home - best birthday present ever.

Date of visit: June 2018
1  Thank Jan728
Reviewed 24 June 2018

We traveled through NC and stopped here after reading the wonderful reviews. Well, I have to say that you will never meet nicer folks. NOTHING is too much for them to do for their customers. I asked for a few samples because I have some weird food issues and can't stomach a lot of spicy stuff. Our waitress was more than happy to give me a sample of the bbq and although it was more 'vinegar' in it than I am used to, she was so sweet for making sure that I could eat it.

The other amazing thing about this little place is the prices.I felt like I stepped back into the 60's.. Wow... We walked away from there feeling completely filled and as if we had met friends that we had known all of our lives. Thanks Mr Bob for a wonderful experience and good food

Date of visit: June 2018