“Beautiful Hotel and Best Sunset View”
Review of The Breakwater Inn

The Breakwater Inn
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Hatteras Island
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I have been to the Breakwater Inn several times and never had a bad experience. The staff is very friendly, rooms are very clean with beds that are so comfortable that i slept better than i do at home in my own bed. The best part of the rooms would be the deck over looking the marina, whether its checking out the boats or watching the sunset . I have stayed at the Breakwater over the past few years and would never stay anywhere else. In addition to the hotel you have access to walk the docks, check out the boats and the fish that was caught. If you have children they will love it! Everyone is very friendly and welcome you. Lastly if you have never eaten at the Breakwater Restaurant you need to... the food is excellent! Cant wait to head back in September for "Days at the Dock"

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 15 August 2011

Super clean hotel, very friendly staff, great sunset views. We have stayed at the Breakwater inn many times and we will be returning in the future.
I can go on an on about this place it is one of my top 5 hotels in the world.

Reviewed 12 August 2011

This is the second time we have stayed at the Breakwater. It is convenient to the beach, charter boats and restaurants. The staff is very friendly. The rooms each have their own deck with great sunset views. The charter boats are steps away. We will be back next summer!

Reviewed 10 August 2011

We booked our room through Expedia for 6 people. When we got there they gave us a tiny room for 4, then basically told me there was no way I booked the room through Expedia for 6 people, Expedia would not have let me do that! (so basically I was told I was a liar) After I showed them my printed itinerary from Expedia, they offered the VACANT room right next to ours for a 10% discount, which I thought was a joke. If I was going to pay over $330 a night for a hotel room for my family, I would not be staying in their little dump. They offered their fisherman's quarters (which looked like a scary motel 6) but then they mentioned it was pet friendly, both my daughter and I are extremely allergic to cats, so that was not a valid option for us. I asked if they had any cots, she said 'yes, but we could not use them because our room was 'too small' and it would bang up their walls". When I asked for blankets for my two sons to sleep on the floor, there were only 4 available in their laundry room. I was hoping they could each get 2 blankets to lay on the floor and one to cover up with. When I saw there was only 4, I asked if we could use some white mattress pads that were available on the shelf. The worker said no, she could not allow that. So I said, "Oh I see, it is okay for my sons to get dirty on the floors, but not their blankets!" She said, "no, it's not that, we are just expecting a lot of guest this weekend". I felt like screaming at her - "Lady - IT IS MONDAY!" but I used my self control, thanked her politely and went back to our tiny room with my 4 blankets. They did offer to cancel our second night's reservation but she told me to come back in the office the next morning at 8:00 am. I wasn't very confident that I would ever really see any kind of refund.
We spent the day at the beach and swam in the pool. Even though the pool was located in the front parking lot next to the road, we really enjoyed it, and there were no other guests in the pool, so we had it all to ourselves. Hatteras is a really neat little community and we really liked it there, I just wish our accommodations weren't so horrible.
We had another condo booked in the town of Duck, but they didn't have the place available a day early, so we were stuck at the BreakYourBack Inn for 2 days.

Regardless of the bad sleeping situation, we had no room service and of course we ran out of toilet paper, coffee and clean towels. When I went down to the office to get a role of toilet paper, and I thought they weren't going to give it to me. The worker said, "you should have plenty in your room". I can't really write what I wanted to say to the sweet little girl behind the counter. Instead, I just smiled at her and said, "I am sorry, but we don't have plenty, and I really need more toilet paper". They acted the same way about the coffee the second morning too. Like they doubted that I REALLY needed more coffee. Again, another worker said, "There should be plenty in your room". I had to tell her, "yes, there was ONE little package in our room yesterday morning but we made ONE pot yesterday. Today, this morning, I would like to make another pot. Do you have more coffee?"
There was complementary coffee and cheap danishes in the office lobby, but of course the coffee pot was empty both times I tried to make myself some.
I was also expecting a few more boats in the docks. Our view off our balcony was of a parking lot and an empty marina. The boat slips directly in front of our balcony and then all the way to the left were all empty, (about 10 boat slips) maybe it was the time of year or maybe they went out to sea for the 2 days we were there. I just expected more activity. There were boats to the right of our room and in front of the restaurant.
The restaurant in the back of the inn looked nice and I think we would have enjoyed it, but with a family of six, we couldn't really afford the $25-30 meals. We ate at Sonny's across the street with meals at $15-20. We all really liked what we ordered, except for my husband, he got the crab cakes ($24) and they were really gross. Everyone tried it and we all had to actually spit it out. The restaurant is good, just stay away from the crab cakes!
We also ate at Quarter Deck down the street. The fried flounder was the best I've ever had! It was locally owned, kind of dumpy, with 30 stray cats in the parking lot, but the food was really good. It was also priced at $15-$20. It's just one of those places you don't want to miss.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else if more than 4 people!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
breakwaterinn, Manager at The Breakwater Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2011

This guest booked through Expedia. Our account with Expedia is set up so that customers are not able to book a room with more than four guests total, whether you book adults and children. This limitation was set because our rooms are only meant for four guests. They are not tiny by any means and the private decks also offer more "living" space, but six adults is excessive. Our reservation that we recieved from Expedia was only for four people. Our staff was very accomodating, as we usually would not allow this amount of people in a room.
The guest stated that there was no room service provided. This happened due to the fact that she was set to check out and was allowed by the staff to have a late check out. When she decided to stay another day this was after the fact when housekeeping was available, of course we offered extra towels and supplies upon reqest. Our staff was also told by the guest that the "floor was not so bad for her adult sons and they were enjoying themselves". The fact that they were miserable was never expressed to our staff.
The guest stated that there were no boats at the marina. Our marina has been at 75 to 100% occupancy all summer. Our charter boats and head boats have been sailing every day that they are able. I guess that she looked out at the slips during the day when they were naturally out fishing.
As for the critisism concerning Sonny's and Quarterdeck, these are both wonderful, locally owned restaurants with fresh NC Seafood, locals favorites!

Reviewed 9 August 2011

My husband, son and myself booked a room here on a last minute whim during the peak tourist season in the Outerbanks. The staff was friendly and the room was perfect for our overnight stay. We had drinks and appetizers that we had brought, on the balcony overlooking the marina and watched the boat "Miss Hatteras" launch for its sunset cruise. Then we had a wonderful meal at the Breakwater Restaurant next door and watched the sunset over the sound. Hatteras Island is a hidden, rustic jewel on the outerbanks and we felt as though we were in a different world than the hectic one an hour north in Nagshead. The Breakwater Inn is not the Ritz Carlton but we had a 'five star' visit there.