“Overlooked for 15 Years”

Ming Dynasty Chinese
Ranked #128 of 280 Restaurants in Greenville
Reviewed 10 April 2017

I have lived in Greenville for 15 years and ate at Ming Dynasty for the first time last night. The local newspaper did an article review in recent weeks and I decided to try it out. My husband and I went for dinner and he ordered off the menu and I had the buffet. The buffet was clean, hot and offered a good variety of soup, rice and entree dishes, plus cookies and jello. The egg rolls and crab rangoon were some of the best I've had. I found the food to be flavorful and unique in their own way compared to other Chinese restaurants. My husband's chicken dish was large enough for a to-go box. He said it was very good. We will be back. Too bad it took 15 years to find it after living within 5 minutes for all these years.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 21 March 2017

Let me just say I have never had such awful Chinese food in my life. Small buffet of tasteless food. Don't waste your time or money.

Reviewed 16 March 2017

This restaurant has - without a doubt - the best Chinese food in the region. I began eating at Ming Dynasty five years ago; since, I have visited the restaurant two-to-three times, per week. There are many menu options--I will add, if there is something that you are craving, and they have the ability to make it, they will. It is the most accommodating, friendly restaurant and dining experience possible. It is family owned, and the service is intimate and personal. The owner, Mary, and the manage, Amy, really care about customer service, and are dedicated to putting a smile on the faces of their patrons through their plates. I HIGHLY recommend this restaurant. I have business meetings, family-dinners, dates and everything else here. Try this restaurant; I promise you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 2 February 2017

Situated as it was in a "strip mall" shopping center next to Ollie's Discount store, I was not expecting more than any other run-of-the-mill fast-food Chinese joint. Not so! Entering the door, I was surprised to note the well-stocked and nicely decorated bar to the left, the attractively dressed hostess who greeted us upon entry, and the very cozy atmosphere of the dining room off to the right. Nice seats, cloth napkins, relatively soft lighting, and friendly staff...

We were seated quickly (it was a Sunday night, which may have explained it), and business appeared to be slow. Drink orders were quickly filled - my kids had sweet tea (JUST sweet enough without being overpowering) and I had my usual hot tea which, thank goodness, was actual imported Chinese tea, instead of the usual Lipton that a lot of the restaurants use for convenience. It was good - very smooth, not bitter.

As an appetizer, we ordered the Chinese Spare Ribs. These were NOT what we expected, and my son and I, on the way home, debated the method and sauce makeup. This was NOT the heavy red sauce that seems to be the standard "Americanized" Chinese rib sauce. These were large, meaty pork ribs, roasted, with a sweet-garlicky-peppery sauce, lightly basted, with additional dipping sauce on the side. YUM!

My daughter ordered the Roast Pork Singapore Noodles. She is not big on onions, but there were few - just enough to add a rich flavor, but not enough to be overpowering. My son ordered Pork and Broccoli,.and he stated the pork was fork-tender, while the broccoli was tender-crispy. He especially commented on the richness of the sauce. I had the House Special Lo Mein. Now, I am very much the chili-head, and really like my food with an extra "kick." I requested that my meal be "kicked up a notch," and, happily, the chef agreed. The heat was there - just enough to make the meal interesting and memorable, but not enough to overpower the rich flavor of the shrimp, chicken and other vegetables.

My son and daughter managed to finish their meals, even though the portions were VERY generous. I could not - we took half of mine home for the next day's lunch, or maybe dinner.

One other thing I noticed that impressed me: unlike other Chinese restaurants that most American diners are familiar with, dishes that serve rice with the main course come with a small bowl of white rice as a "palate cleanser," NOT the "run-of'the-mill" fried rice we have come to expect. Diners that wish to order fried rice would need to look at the BACK of the menu to find it :)

Reviewed 18 November 2016 via mobile

For Greenville it is good but not memorable Chinese. Flavor has been developed however dumbed down for the American pallet. Missing the heat in all of the "spicy" dishes.