All reviews previous owners making improvements under new ownership comfortable beds gathering rates hikers
Reviewed 1 August 2017

I had to pay $100 (w/taxes) for one night's on 7.31.17. For that price I would have expected much more, like something equivalent to the Hampton Inn.
THE BAD: Hard Beds. Hard pillows. Musty Smell. Lamps not working. AC had only 2 temps ('Antarctica' and 'Off'). Few Outlets. Slow WiFi.

THE GOOD: Close to charming downtown Franklin. Hot Shower with good pressure.

This experience makes me wary of staying at independent motels any more. I much prefer the Branded Motels.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

I don't know what we were thinking we always check trip advisor. The Google reviews are all pretty positive and we booked a night to break up the drive from Gatlinburg back to Florida. Upon checking in we knew right away it was older and slightly run down but we were really hungry and wanted to explore Franklin. We threw our stuff down and left to go eat and explore. This was around 1pm. We got back around 7pm and started noticing a lot of things we didn't see before. Black mold growing in the bathroom, tears in the carpet, water damage on the ceiling, ciggarette burns here and there etc. We have been known to rough it and figured as long as the bed was okay we would make it thru the night. We laid down and within 30 minutes we were both very itchy. I don't know why, it could be the detergent they use or who knows but that was the last straw. We packed up and left at 8pm. We were told the won't refund because we have been there 7 hours already, and we should have came back immediately after check in if we weren't happy. We left anyways, and moved on down the road. The one positive thing I can say is the older gentleman who checked us in during the afternoon was very nice and good to talk too. This place needs a major remodel. Wish I would have saw the recent trip advisor reviews before booking. Last time I ever trust a Google review for a hotel.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2017 via mobile

Bathrooms had mild in the shower and cigarette burns in the sheets. Would not let my dog sleep there. We were there for one night, owners did not show concern. We asked for extra towels and the service was not very good, charged a different price from what we were told.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank winecoffee
Reviewed 30 March 2017 via mobile

We came off the Appalachian Trail and wanted to stay in Franklin for this portion of our section hike. Sapphire is conveniently located downtown near must-see Curahee Brewery and Cafe Rel and other sites. Unfortunately this place epitomizes a cheap motel: it smells, the sheets are stained, the towels are torn, there is mold on the ceiling, the shower track is filthy, the highway is loud, furniture dirty and stained, law enforcement is walking through the parking lot with gun and badge (to serve a search warrant upstairs maybe?) FYI, there is no laundry service. When you see a cheap motel in a movie they could have filmed it here. Though I can't say pluses, the not so bad: there is water pressure and hot water, free wi-fi, a clean fridge and microwave. The man working the desk in the evening was nice. I will not stay again or recommend to a friend. This is not an economy option, it's just a run down old motel in need of a overhaul that goes beyond decor.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 317jasons
Reviewed 26 December 2016 via mobile

This is the worst place I have ever thought about staying in. Floor/ rug had stains with who knows what--- would not dream of going bare foot on. Bathroom was old, rusted and moldy. And who knows what else goes on at a place like this! The person at front desk was nice-- only good part. Thankfully we were able to get accommodations somewhere else.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business