“If you have to.”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fontana Dam
Tennessee
“If you have to.”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

After reading the reviews, I feel like I stayed in a different place then they did...well here is my experience:
The grounds are lovely, if I was reviewing based on the grounds and ameneties, I would give the place a 4 star easy, but I'm not...this review is based on the room(s) we stayed in. We were traveling with a group and had to share a room with someone else the 2nd night bc it was all booked up.
1st night/room: Coming in, it was clean but out of date. Looked like a lodge though. Very masculine - which is fine, I expected that. Walked to the bathroom area. Not happy. The toilet and shower are in a seperate room from the "changing area." Zero privacy. And the bathroom is too small to do much except shower and use the toilet. I'm a small girl and had little room in there so I could imagine how a larger woman would feel. There is no room to lotion, put on clothes, etc. You have to go out into the room to do all that! Not happy. The only thing seperating the beds and the place to get dressed is a small wall. No door or anything. On top of all this, no full length mirror. Only a small mirror above the sink. And VERY, EXTREMELY, CANNOT EXPRESS ENOUGH, POOR lighting. I even brought a lamp over from the table by the bed to try for more lighting to put my make up on. This may seem like petty things, but I'm a very private person. I like my private time when getting ready. Anyone like me, will HATE these rooms. Oh and the bathroom celing was molding.
Next night/room: was hoping for a better room considering it was an upgrade from the first night. Not any better, in fact worse. I was having anxiety about having no privacy considering we were sharing a room. I even asked my boyfriend if we could go stay somewhere else. About this room, same privacy and lighting issues as the first. What's worse though, the bathroom had no fan or door lock!! So if you wanted to do #2, you had no privacy at all!! And you couldn't even turn on the sink because it was outside in the room...the kicker, I found blood on the first towell I picked up out of the shower. Yep. Gross.
The privacy issues may seem petty, but very important to me. So make sure if you stay at this place, you know the person you are with very well or you aren't very modest. On top of that, rooms need updating. The beds were comfortable enough, but not great. Will not go back unless I have to. Unfortunately I might, considering it's the closest place to the venue we were attending and may attend regularly in the future. Please Fontana, if you are reading this...put better lighting around the mirrors and for heaven sakes, put a door between that area and the main area!!

6 Thank acaribbeandreamer
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Washington, dc
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I stayed at the resort from April 1 - 7. I was with a group so our food was served family style. It was delicious and more than anyone could eat. The staff were super friendly and helpful. I was there with a group to help maintain trails in the National Forest. On my day off I went 2 hours away to the Biltmore hotel. I loved everything about the resort and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in hiking and being in the mountains.

3 Thank guest a
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This really is a gem. Beautiful beautiful terrain. Streets lined with dogwoods. World-class frisbee-golf course. Dozens of miles of adjacent hiking trails.
Joey and all the dining staff work hard to provide a first-class dining experience. Rooms are not deluxe, but beds are comfy. I have stayed there the first week of April for the last 4 years and strongly recommend it!

2 Thank stenelsh
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We took a winter family trip and we stayed through New Year'eve.The place is really nice, beautifully decorated,kids activity with movie time and outside smores,no cellphone reception,no restaurant around, just the one at the resort , but we were very pleased with the food for dinner, breakfast and the New Year's eve buffet!
The mountains and the river are beautiful and if you are looking for a quiet place to be...this is it!
I don't know about summer time, but in the winter we really enjoy our stay and we will do it again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank thebonavitas
Rockwall, Texas
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We stumbled into the Fontana Village Resort by accident when we arrived too late to check into a nearby motorcycle resort. We were rain soaked and tired after a 400 mile motorcycle ride in from Georgia. The Great Room/Lobby is spacious with a warm fireplace and has a balcony facing a breathtaking view of the Smoky Mountains.

The property was immaculate and the staff were extremely helpful and accommodating to us with no reservations. We were offered a military and law enforcement discount and secured great rooms in the main lodge for $85/night. The resort has several cabin style rooms scattered throughout the property with parking directly in front of your room.

Our bed had a high quality mattress and the room had many cable TV channels, including HBO. There is free wi-fi in the upper and lower lobby areas, but no Internet connectivity in the guest rooms. Internet speeds were fast in the locations where I used their Wi-Fi

The restaurant had a diverse menu with reasonable prices. The service was not what I would call speedy, but the view of the mountains was a spectacular distraction.

The majority of guests we encountered appeared to be climbers. This is a biker friendly resort.

Room Tip: Room 122 is near the elevator and stairwell, but is not noisy. It has a sliding glass door that ope...