After reading the reviews, I feel like I stayed in a different place then they did...well here is my experience:
The grounds are lovely, if I was reviewing based on the grounds and ameneties, I would give the place a 4 star easy, but I'm not...this review is based on the room(s) we stayed in. We were traveling with a group and had to share a room with someone else the 2nd night bc it was all booked up.
1st night/room: Coming in, it was clean but out of date. Looked like a lodge though. Very masculine - which is fine, I expected that. Walked to the bathroom area. Not happy. The toilet and shower are in a seperate room from the "changing area." Zero privacy. And the bathroom is too small to do much except shower and use the toilet. I'm a small girl and had little room in there so I could imagine how a larger woman would feel. There is no room to lotion, put on clothes, etc. You have to go out into the room to do all that! Not happy. The only thing seperating the beds and the place to get dressed is a small wall. No door or anything. On top of all this, no full length mirror. Only a small mirror above the sink. And VERY, EXTREMELY, CANNOT EXPRESS ENOUGH, POOR lighting. I even brought a lamp over from the table by the bed to try for more lighting to put my make up on. This may seem like petty things, but I'm a very private person. I like my private time when getting ready. Anyone like me, will HATE these rooms. Oh and the bathroom celing was molding.
Next night/room: was hoping for a better room considering it was an upgrade from the first night. Not any better, in fact worse. I was having anxiety about having no privacy considering we were sharing a room. I even asked my boyfriend if we could go stay somewhere else. About this room, same privacy and lighting issues as the first. What's worse though, the bathroom had no fan or door lock!! So if you wanted to do #2, you had no privacy at all!! And you couldn't even turn on the sink because it was outside in the room...the kicker, I found blood on the first towell I picked up out of the shower. Yep. Gross.
The privacy issues may seem petty, but very important to me. So make sure if you stay at this place, you know the person you are with very well or you aren't very modest. On top of that, rooms need updating. The beds were comfortable enough, but not great. Will not go back unless I have to. Unfortunately I might, considering it's the closest place to the venue we were attending and may attend regularly in the future. Please Fontana, if you are reading this...put better lighting around the mirrors and for heaven sakes, put a door between that area and the main area!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fontana Village Resort, a year round destination resort, is set amidst the pristine beauty of the Nantahala Forest of western North Carolina, gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The Village has a wide range of accommodations, including rooms in the intimate settings of The Lodge, suites, cabins in the forest, as well as RV & tent camping on Cheoah Lake. Add conference space, complimentary wi-fi service, restaurants and lounges, General Store, gift shops, outfitters, pools, marina, fitness center, mountain bike shop, miles of on-site trails suitable for biking and hiking, and it's easy to see why Fontana is a Great Smoky Mountain Destination. The resort offers an assortment of dining options including the Mountview Restaurant and the Wildwood Grill offering resort-casual dining and event catering. The Pitstop offers a fast fare menu for guests or travelers on the go. If watersports are on your itinerary during your stay, the Fontana Marina, located on the beautiful 30 mile long Fontana Lake, has an assortment of different watercraft rentals and equipment available. The Marina's ship store offers a complete line of tackle, light groceries and snacks and anything else guests might need for a perfect day on the water. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Fontana Village Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fontana Village Hotel Fontana Dam
- Fontana Village Fontana Dam