All reviews general store the dragon disc golf the main lodge bedroom cabin putt putt the ice cream shop car club sunset cruise appalachian trail mobile home horseback riding get away beautiful scenery beautiful area dirty dancing bryson city
Reviewed 26 October 2011

we've been going to this resort each fall for the last 3 yrs. our room waas clean with excellent mattresses. all the help was courteous and the service prompt. the meals were exceptional and inexpensive. combine all this with the natural beautiful surrounding one, and return trips in the future are a done deal as far as we're concerned.

Room Tip: great views from the front of the lodge and deck
Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank wandall
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Calling Gordon Ramsey, We found Hell's Kitchen for you!!! Reservations for 6:30 on 10/22/11. All 8 of us got there a few minutes before and as requested, got a table at the window. Last nice thing that happened for the next 3 hours. Waitress came took drink order and cold drinks got there. Guy with the beer had to wait and they used large upright juice glasses for the margaruites. And then she disappeared. No refills, no order taken NADA! Went to the host. Oh we are busy!!! There were people at only 3 tables when we got there and they too are just sitting. Large party in the bar. He said he would get her. Another 10 mins. It is now 50 mins. and no bread, no order NADA. She takes our orders FINALLY - and we ask for bread which she brings. Had to ask for butter which came eventually as in after we had all eaten a slice. Bring us more bread we ask, over 10 min later it comes. Drink refills please. Some got, others did not.
If there had been some place to eat other than driving to Robbinsville, we would have left.
At the 2 hr mark, my husband and one other fella went to the hotel front desk to speak to the manager. They got her from her residence to come up. She tells them that she was wondering why the little general store had gotten busy a bit earlier when she was there. Did not know there was a problem. She will get out dinners out directly and meals will be comped
1/2 hr later, I again went to the host. His lame excuse again was well we are busy. I apologize. Said it 3 times like a wet fish! no feeling behind it. At the third time I told him I did not want his damned apology, I and the 7 others wanted food!
Tim - some manager - comes out tells us he is working in the kitchen and that I cursed his host up and down. and then said and after all your meals are comped! At that point my 6'3" husband stood up and said, my wife did not curse your host out and he needed to apologize to me. Tim said your standing there like that is intimidating. Bill said get our food out now. 10 min. later our food finally started to come out. No one really liked the food and two guys the next day had the johnny trots. Spaghetti was under cooked. Meatballs were grainy and sawdusty tasting, Chicken was almost cold. Meatloaf while big slices had ketchup from the bottle on it and it was cold ketchup. Tomato sauce was like pureed tomatoes out of a can.
THREE HOURS to get our food - and lousy food at that!
Waitress had an attitude from the start. Good thing the 8 of us like being together otherwise it would have been a lousy evening totally.
Next a.m., waitress told one couple that it must have been a bad night last night as there was a stack of comped dinners. Maybe Tim should not have said it so loudly that our dinners were comped as there were other tables in the same boat as us.
So different from when we were there 3 weeks ago and ate at the seasonly closed place called the Woodbridge Grill.
It would try the patience of Gordon Ramsey to deal with this place!
We totally missed one of the things we were looking forward to and that was to enjoy the campfire with marshmellows and making S'mores. We could have stayed in Robbinsville at the microtel for less and had a meal in town.
Fontana management thinks more of itself that it should. Do not understand being sincere. Do not tell me from the front desk to the host to this Tim guy that we are busy. You know the MiniCoopers were there with reservations, you knew you had a big party to serve, you knew there was a frat bunch, you knew your bookings, plan for it.

Room Tip: Have a plan B for dinner
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
13  Thank 02corvette
Reviewed 24 October 2011

If you plan to visit in the Fall, you'll pay dearly for this run down excuse of a resort. I rarely give one star to any establishment, but the shabby cabins with no locks on the doors, sunken mattress, poor lighting, drab curtains that do not close for privacy, will cost you $150+ per night. Better cabins belong to time-share folks, so don't be taken in by photos. Electric lines criss-cross over the back porch in a tangled maze of hopefully safe wiring. Back porch is nasty. Surely migrant workers live better than this. A 3-hr waiting time to dine was only the beginning of the dining ordeal which included another hour for the food to arrive. How could management not know ahead of time to bring on additional staff for this busy time of year. As other hotels move in, and they are, this place will feel the pinch of competition and decide to clean up or sell out. I expected more for the price, I expected more for the pride of its history.

Room Tip: Stay in Lodge, not Cabins for better rooms. Cabin doors do not lock, bring security bar. Road to establishment is extremely winding, bring Dramamine for those who tend to get car sick. Cabins have numbers which are impossible to see after dark, bring flashlight.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
9  Thank daffodilsunday
Reviewed 30 September 2011

My wife and I have gone to Fontana Village in the Spring of 2010 and 2011 for MINIs On The Dragon car rally. We have seen evidence of a lot of money being spent by the new owners to repair, and even completely redo, buildings. There are beautiful new decks, stairs, fresh siding and stain, roofs, etc.. Unfortunately, some reviews here demonstrate how inept staff can negatively offset million$ in capital improvements. We were treated well and experienced none of the aforementioned bad banana splits or room problems.
Regardless of the quality of accommodations or help, this place will always be remote. I am puzzled why people from only three hours away would vacation at Fontana and be surprised by what it is. After all, it is no secret that the place is essentially a seventy year old labor camp left over from building the adjacent dam. While it may have fallen into disrepair during some of those decades, there have been dramatic improvements during the last two years, thanks to a large infusion of cash from the new owners. Enjoy it as a remote, rustic mountain retreat. Don't expect it to be like a coastal Carolina resort. We liked it well enough to buy membership points and look forward to driving down once or twice a year.

Room Tip: study the photos and diagram on their web site
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark D
Reviewed 24 September 2011

of a decent vacation destination I've ever stayed at. First of all the place is not well layed out in regards to landmarks to show where everything is located. So we spent a great deal of time trying to figure out where to go to eat. And you only have a couple of choices, one is th e Wildwood Grill and The Bistro. The Bistro is for the very wealthy and ritzy crowd in other words PRICEEEE ! The Wildwood Grill was ok if you consider a conservative menu burgers, sandwhiches, salads etc 3 adults ate for $61.00.
But I guess what really disappointed me the most was the fact they didnt even have a microwave, or refrigerator.in the rooms at the lodge. The cable package had to be the cheapest deal in the history of tv. Nothing but news the espns the networks....
Their so called ICE CREAM PARLOR was closed for the season so there was a Mayfield Ice Cream freezer in the General Store & Gift Shop( an overpriced 7-11).
Folks, there's much more but my advice to you don't waste your money and time driving to these sticks..This so-called paradise is more of an overblown money trap. Based on what the Website tempts you in to believing this is some kind of great get-away.
JUST SAY NO!