“Good place to grab a quick bite”
Review of Speedy Chef

Speedy Chef
Ranked #9 of 56 Restaurants in Elkin
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

A local establishment that's been around a long time. Has games for kids on one side and another side for adults with TV as well.

Reviewed 4 March 2018

Speedy Chef has been in the Elkin area for years and has excellent foot long hotdogs and bbq sandwiches. Their milkshakes are great as well. Try anything. I'm sure you will like it.

Reviewed 31 January 2018

Family owned business, the food is wonderful and the restaurant is very clean. They have a little of everything you could ever want including a great variety of hand dipped ice cream and milkshakes. I grew up coming here to eat with my parents, and I bring my kids every chance I get.

Reviewed 15 November 2017

Warning, this place takes cash and checks only. Just want to put that up front since if you are like me you don’t always have cash on you or your checkbook and that would be a problem. That would be the only problem I can think of. Now to the review.

From the outside this is obviously a fast food place. Not sure what it might have been in the past but it has been Speedy Chef since 1968. There are a lot of items on the menu, much bigger than a chain fast food restaurant. I have eaten here twice so I will talk about what I have had and can recommend.

While there this last time I asked a couple of people for the best thing on the menu. A patron/employee and the employee behind the counter both answered quickly, the fried pork chop sandwich. I am not the brightest person in the world but I took that as a sign. I ordered that and a corn dog, didn’t want fries. (If any of you are Hoosiers from the south side of Indy, this is as close to a fried tenderloin sandwich as you are going to get this side of Rock Hill, SC. All you would need to do is nix the slaw, add mayo, light mustard, tomato, lettuce, onion and pickles and it could almost pass muster for a Edward’s or the old Berrenger’s.)

This is a great sandwich. The pork is tender and much bigger than the bun. I added mustard to the mayo and coleslaw it already came with. The patron suggested adding ketchup, I did at the end and I agree with her. I also had to add some hot sauce but then I add hot sauce to almost everything.

Dad got the chuckwagon, which I had gotten on an earlier visit, that is really good as well. I am going to say something that I would normally deride. I am going to use a superlative to describe something mundane. The corndog is great. It is fried perfectly. The frank is not a skinny reject from the bun pile. The breading is not too thick or too thin. Yes, it is a corndog but it was perfect. All it required was a little yellow mustard to dip it into. What a meal!

This place has reasonable breakfasts, lots of sandwiches, platters and desserts. They make milkshakes and you can get slices of pies, cakes and hand dipped cones. It is family friendly. Stop in on a trip to Stone Mountain State Park. That made for a real good day for us! The only reason I did not rate them excellent is the cash and check only policy, other than that it is truly excellent.

Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

We normally visit here after church and have their plate lunch. It is a meat and two veg with bread. It's like a miniature K&W, off to the side. The food is great and the price is better. We also love their hot dogs. The place has been around for a long time and is family owned.

Been to Speedy Chef? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK