“Very Nice!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Home Coming Bed & Breakfast

Home Coming Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Elkin
Home Coming Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Elkin B&B and Inns
Sarasota, Florida
“Very Nice!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

DH and I were recently in the Yadkin Valley/Elkin for a wine tasting event. We decided to stay at a different B&B than we did the last time, mostly because we wanted one closer to the winery and the restaurant we planned on going to for dinner.

I found this B&B from a link on the winery's web site. It certainly fit the bill for being closer and the rates were about what we'd come to expect.

One thing that caused me a bit of concern; it's advertised/described as a "Christian" establishment. Don't get me wrong, I don't have religious hang ups, but, I also don't really want to stay in some bible thumping B&B (and pay for it!) Also, since we were planning on buying some wine, and hopefully relaxing in the room with a glass or two, I didn't want any issues with that (yes, one B&B I thought about staying in once said "absolutely no alcohol on the premises").

Anyway, DH and I decided that since this place in Elkin also mentioned that they had information on the local wineries, it'd be ok.

I'm glad we booked it because it was definitely more than ok. We ended up in The Sunrise Suite, which had a large king-sized bed, a couch, nice period furniture, a separate vanity area and a huge bathroom with a sunken tub (not jetted). We were the only ones there that night (this seems to happen to us frequently) so the manager (a friend of the owner) told us we could have breakfast whenever we wanted.

He gave us cards to fill out to indicate what we wanted to eat (this reminded me of those room service cards they provide you in hotel rooms or staterooms on a cruise). We selected what we wanted, he took our credit card and swiped it, told us to help ourselves to snacks (in the dining room) and drinks in the 'fridge. As for the "Christian" thing, there were bibles EVERYWHERE and also gospel music piped in (the public rooms, not the bedroom) but that was about it; this, and a sign in our room asking us to refrain from consuming alcohol in any of the public areas. Oh, and, absolutely NO SMOKING anywhere on the premises (no problem for us but this might be for others). This was probably more a aesthetics/health thing than anything else, though.

We did end up taking advantage of the large sunken tub after dinner (21 and Main, also reviewed). The bed was real comfy, the inn was quiet. It was awfully cold in there, though and there did not appear to be a way to shut off the central A/C so we ended up closing all the vents and that worked fine.

Breakfast the next morning was wonderful. We'd opted for a Southern style; eggs, ham and bacon (I always ask for my bacon extra crispy, the gentleman got it RIGHT!), grits, biscuits. The coffee was great (and ready early like he'd promised). Other than the gospel music that kept us company in the background, it was an extremely pleasant breakfast.

We did managed to get the manager to talk a bit about the history of the house and the area; once we asked him a few questions, he opened up considerably and was quite friendly (before this, he'd seemed merely polite).

Definitely worth consideration if you're going to be in the area.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
8 Thank Empress5150
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

1 review from our community

Also consider these accommodations in or near Elkin
3.8 km away
Days Inn Jonesville
#4 of 8 in Jonesville
6.6 km away
Americas Best Value Inn - Jonesville

Been to Home Coming Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK