“Decent food, but interior is in bad need of a makeover”
Review of Thumpers Downtown Bar & Grill - CLOSED

Thumpers Downtown Bar & Grill
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 15
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Edenton, North Carolina
“Decent food, but interior is in bad need of a makeover”
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I bought a gift certificate for this restaurant on restaurant.com right before Christmas 2011. As we were walking in the door, I saw a notice that as of March 1, 2012, they were not accepting any more restaurant.com gift certificates. Great. In the end, they did agree to honor the certificate.

This place is set up with the bar on one side and the restaurant on the other, with separate entrances, and a passway in between. The carpet and decor in the restaurant side looked like the same stuff that was in there when I used to come to the bar 20 years ago in my single days. The carpet had lots of interesting stains, rips, etc. The decor was dingy, and the smell was bearable , but not pleasant. When we walked in, there were no wait staff to be found. Finally, I walked over the the bar side and found someone. We did get there early for supper (6ish), and it seemed the restaurant was just a passthru for the bar patrons. I had the ribs, which were good with a flavorful sauce., and there was enough to take some home They substituted a salad for the fries with no extra charge. It was a typical iceberg lettuce dominated affair. My wife had the fish and chips, which were hot, and very good according to her. My son got the mussel appetizer plate which was good. Prices are reasonable for this town, but we would not have come here had it not been for the gift certificate. I think Thumpers could attract a better clientele if they would upgrade the restaurant interior with new carpet and decor and remove the passthru to the bar side which smelled like frat house on Sunday morning. There are better dining choices including The Marina, Monteros, Cypress Creek, and Grouper's

• Visited March 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

“My BF and I live in VA and drive about an...”
Reviewed 10 September 2010

My BF and I live in VA and drive about an hour to this wonderful place quite often. The cost is cheap but nothing about the experience is. Great food, wonderful atmosphere and pleasant staff.

baghdad
“you must check it out”
Reviewed 4 June 2009

i think that the food was very good. I miss the one of the former owners, his name is Mark Clarke and he was what made the place. The service was good and there was always a good crowd. The bouncer was Kevin and he was very good at his job. I will go the again and again, every time that i am in town.

Elizabeth City, North Carolina
“This place is Prime”
Reviewed 29 May 2009

If you want Prime Rib, this is the best in town. This is a popular bar with a grill that servers some of the best food in town. The bar sides are smokey the dinner area is quaint and servers great food. Weekends are packed with locals out having a good time.