“Stellar Peruvian chicken!”

Luna Rotisserie and Empanadas
Ranked #18 of 819 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$ 3 - US$ 15
Reviewed 23 August 2016

We are fans of Peruvian chicken, and like to try out different versions wherever we go. When a recent trip to Duke took us to Durham, Luna was on our radar. We went for lunch and both got the chicken plate. It came with 2 sides (I got black beans with coconut rice & the jicama-kale slaw. The quarter-chicken was HUGE but tender & flavorful all the way through. The coconut rice was delish as well, but I was totally obsessed with the slaw -- wow! The place is attractive and we were lucky enough to find parking right in front. The service was friendly and speedy. My only complaint (and it's a small one) is that I was looking forward to a lovely coffee after lunch, and they serve no coffee of any kind. But we are already planning our next visit -- empanandas with more of that slaw!

Reviewed 23 August 2016

My companion had the arrepas appetizer which is plenty for one person as a meal. You get four arrepas, not stuffed but with the toppings piled on top of the corn cake. I had the Peruvian roast chicken which was good. It came with 2 sides. I chose the pimento hominey mac and cheese - a very good taste unlike anything I've had before with the little chunks of hominey. My second side, the maduros, were awesome. We decided that the arrepas at Epachamo on Ninth St in Durham are probably a bit better and the chicken at Mami Nora's in Raleigh far surpasses what is served here. But neither of those restaurants serves both the chicken and the arrepas. We would definitely come back here, but watch out, it is extremely noisy.

Reviewed 15 August 2016

I went for lunch with a friend last Friday. We arrived at 11:30 and it was absolutely packed by 12:30. The counter-service server was borderline polite, but unenthusiastic. The food came relatively quickly, but our water was not refilled more than once during our hour there. I had the poblano/quinoa dish which was good; my friend had one of the pulled pork plates. We both agreed his tasted just average, almost like a cafeteria-style meat. Overall it was an average experience. Perhaps it would be better at night, although I think the menu is very similar.

Reviewed 14 August 2016

recommend this for a casual, laid-back place for lunch in downtown. Empanadas or arepas are usually enough food for me. Good mix of flavors.

Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

You don't find many south American places in the south east. But, these folks have combined Latin with farm-to-table, and works so well. Empanadas, grain bowls, finely prepared meats. Moderately priced. Probably need reservations on the weekend. Will definitely come again.