“Nice spot in Downtown Durham”

Rue Cler Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 839 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 35
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Since 2006, Rue Cler has proudly served the community of downtown Durham. We bring the freshest southeastern ingredients to our diverse clientele, offering simple, classic preparations, in the style of a Parisian neighborhood restaurant. Our dinner menu is updated frequently, with a focus on seasonal, local products. We have an extensive, award-winning wine list, with selections from France and the US, including rare bottles. We gladly accept reservations, so give us a call today!
Reviewed 28 February 2018

Our small group had a very enjoyable dinner at Rue Cler. There is a small bar by the door where you can sit while waiting for your table or others in your party, which makes for a nice place to socialize before dinner. The service and food are excellent. Our group all ordered from the Prix Fixe portion of the menu, but the 3 options for each course still offered enough variety for our small group. The only downside was that some in our group felt the Creme Brulee was only average. Otherwise, all courses got high marks for flavor and presentation. Definitely a great place to revisit as the menu changes often.

Reviewed 4 February 2018

Rue Cler is a favorite of ours in Durham. Laid back, charming atmosphere with great food, ample wine selection and excellent, knowledgeable service. The prix fixe menu is a good value and changes regularly. On our last visit, the butternut risotto was delicious, and my husband loved the lamb shank.

Reviewed 29 January 2018

Rue Cler was the third restaraunt we tried for restaraunt Week and by far the best dinner we had. Kudos to our attentive server, Maria.

For starters I had the warm lentil and beet salad and my companion had the romaine salad with blue cheese and apple. Both were delicious.

For seconds my friend had the chicken liver pate ( not my favorite) and I got the Bayonne ham served with cheese crumbles and a few green and a splash of vinegarette. Maria got me some crostini’s to Go with it and it was excellent.

For our entree we both got the pot de feu, the beef was very tender and in a broth with pearl onions, carrots, gherkin pickles and potatoes. Reminded me of Sunday dinners at home (French Canadian).

1  Thank MikeedRN
Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

Three of us used the triangle restaurant week to try out Rue Cler which we had heard about for years.

We were seated immediately at a nice table and greeted by a very knowledgeable and attentive waiter.

We were offered the special menu and the normal menu, each which had very interesting and appealing choices. Certainly a French restaurant, but the menu seemed to have nice variations from normal bistro or French formal restaurants.

I ordered the mushroom veloutee (soup) starter and the others ordered the beet and lentil salad. The soup was the best of that type I have ever tasted. Kudos to the chef. My companions really like the salad as well.

For next course 2 of us had the risotto and one the hamon plate. All were delicious and beautifully presented.

For the mains we had the lamb dish, the braised short rib, and the flounder. The star was the lamb dish, Rich in flavor and texture, I could have eaten that for a week. Next was the flounder, served with capers and greens, it was really well prepared. Last place was the braised beef, which was amazingly tender in a broth, but it left me wanting more richness in the sauce.

The prices are very reasonable, the service very very good, great location, ambiance does not keep up with the flavors.

We will go back soon!

Reviewed 28 January 2018

As usual, my 20'th time, I ordered the Salmom & Donna did the same. This meal I will not be sharing for the first time ever! It was so good & we started with a Gratin Dauphinois Potatoe & lots of bread dipped in olive oil. Always before, the bread was served with butter & the olive oil was easier! Had coffee & Bignets to finish & did get a doggy-bag of Salmon for tomorrow. The bread & oil filled us up, so tomorrow is a day to look forward to!
We will be back soon at lunch time for the very best Duck Confit Crepes. They are so addictive, sorry we must drive 22 miles to enjoy. This evening we were at DUKE for some Music, close by fordinner time.