“Love it!”
Review of Blue Corn Cafe

Blue Corn Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Blue Corn Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #58 of 836 Restaurants in Durham
Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 20
Cuisines: Cuban, Latin, Mexican
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 16 May 2017

I have been coming to this restaurant on a regular basis since I moved to the area about 3 years ago. It is tucked away on 9th Street and there is ample parking available across the street. Easy to make a reservation on Open Table.

You can tell the owner takes a lot of pride in this restaurant. I don't know her name, but I always see her on the floor helping her staff and checking in with the customers. Hence, the service here is excellent from the wait staff and bartenders. I am a creature of habit so I always order the same thing, Platanos con Pollo. It is two chicken breasts with cheese on top and plantains in the middle. It is always excellent and visually pleasing as well! Sometimes I get chips with guacamole as well, and it is also very good. The drink menu is very extensive as well, with great mojitos and margaritas at a reasonable price.

Will continue to support this wonderful establishment.

Reviewed 22 March 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed a dinner with the family. Went in a week day, immediate seating, fast and friendly service. Food had great flavor and chips/salsa was good as well. Good sized portions and they even had organic cider, yum. Nice atmosphere, look forwarding to revisiting. Be careful on the parking rules across the street. Small lot after 7:00 is free. Big lot by Panera will get you towed!!!

Reviewed 13 March 2017

My favorites are the fish tacos and the avocado salad with grilled chicken. This is a cut above the Mexican places that move beans and rice around the plate in the name of different dishes. Great salsa, avocado and chips. Beer and wine, too.

Reviewed 27 January 2017 via mobile

I booked in Open Table, and when I arrived the table was already set up with water waiting. That was a great touch.

Our server was excellent and very attentive.

The food was quite good. Not amazing, but overall excellent. The guacamole is pre-made which (in my opinion) is not as tasty as freshly made at the table. I like it a little chunkier. (No points off because this is my preference).

I had the chicken and plantains. It was a generous portion and cooked well. I would get it again!

Reviewed 30 November 2016 via mobile

I liked everything about this place.
The decor, the atmosphere, the food and great service from waiter Brian.
We shared an order of platanos as a starter, and we had the Cuban sandwich, Ropa Vieja and picadillo as mains. All exquisitely spiced. I particularly enjoyed their tomatillo green salsa.
Great selection of latin food. Recommended.