“We were in lemur heaven...”
Review of Duke Lemur Center

Duke Lemur Center
Ranked #8 of 58 things to do in Durham
Reviewed 20 November 2017

We did the Keeper for A Day, their priciest tour. This experience was amazing and we loved it, though it was a bit long and it was hot out in October. You start of changing into scrubs and see some of the facility. Then you prepare some meals for the Aye Aye lemurs, animals you will probably see nowhere else. Our guide, Kate was friendly, really informative and patient with us. The experience was a little long (4 hours) and I was hoping for more time in the forest but it was a unique, amazing experience we will never forget. I don't think this tour is for everyone, however. I'm a huge animal person (also a wildlife rehabilitator) so I loved it a bit more than my husband. I think probably the walking tour would be fantastic too, and hit most of the highlights of this one.

1  Thank Nancy G
"minute tour"
"educational experience"
"answer questions"

Reviewed 10 November 2017

We went as a group with a 3 year old and a 1 1/2 year old. The children enjoyed the gift shop and the video much more than the exhibit. The lady who took us around had much more information to share than we could take with the little ones. All the enclosures seemed to be double fenced, so that when there were lemurs to be seen, you could barely make out what you were seeing. Don't bother taking a camera, as your camera will focus on the fence not the lemur. If we did not have the children, I suppose we would have had more patience to listen to the lady. Most lemurs were out in the forest. If you are expecting a zoo type experience, you'll be disappointed.

Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

Great tour of the Lemur centre with my two teenage kids. Informative and great to be able to see Lemurs free ranging it as well as in the cages. We did the one hour basic tour which was fine for us.

Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

Not your first thought when visiting Durham or Duke University but a ‘must’ stop if you have the time. More Lemurs here than any where in the world other than their native home of Madagascar. Must book in advance and at least a month in advance is recommended. Best to come between April and October if you want to see them roaming around the forest. Good fun. Great tours.

2  Thank David O