“Better than expected”

Ranked #30 of 71 Hotels in Durham
Portland, Oregon
“Better than expected”
Reviewed 16 May 2012

If you need to visit Duke University, I highly recommend staying at Holiday Inn Express on Guess Rd. Easy 6 minute drive to campus, great location near restaurants and shopping. Staff VERY friendly and helpful!

Room Tip: Quieter on non freeway side, but it was not an issue for me.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights- excellent location - right off highway. This property is older- and it shows. Bathrooms are TINY. and they have tried to modernize them, but they are TINY! The staff are great- friendly, helpful, always available. The express b-fast is very basic- same menu as other H I Express hotels. There are 4 or 5 other properties across the street-- next time I will try one of them.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank DKG_12345
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Durham, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Dear goodwintom,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. We are glad you liked the location of our hotel as well as our friendly staff. We are deeply sorry you found your room accommodations less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Norfolk, Virginia
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I rented at this hotel because I was going to the Pink Martini concert at DPAC, and this was nearby (about ten minutes or so) and within decent price. I don't have any real complaints! The front desk service was polite, even knowledgeable - after checking in I asked for a place nearby to get a quick dinner, and they were able to point me to a few places in the area. My room was neat and clean, and just what I would expect for a hotel room. Something worth mentioning: I rented a smoking room so I could enjoy my pipe, and the ash trays were clean and there were no cigarette butt stains any where. Overall my stay in the room was perfectly fine.

Some might complain about the location. Yes, it's near a highway, although I didn't have too much problem with that myself. The only thing I kind of noticed was the area around it was a wee bit sketchy. I didn't fear for my life or the contents of my car, but driving along Guess Road leads you into a mixture of nice neighborhoods and not so nice neighborhoods. But like I said, I didn't fear for my life in the parking lot (and I came back from the concert around 10:30 PM or so), and they actually lock the doors to the front lobby after a certain time, and you either have to be rung in or you can use your card key.

Overall, I had no real complaints, and enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I've stayed here several times on business and it is reliably - friendly, clean, comfortable. The staff are wonderful. I only wish there were a Starbucks within walking distance.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Florence, South Carolina
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I have travel a good amount with hotel stay, but this hotel had the tiniest pillows! We booked on line and didn't know how closed to the interstate it was. When we arrived we asked not to be on the interstate side. They placed us at the end of the building nearest to the interstate. We were given a senior rate, but for $82 we could have stay four star in Durham. Breakfast was fair with unsupervised children running around. I will say this, that was the cleanest hotel!

Room Tip: Try and confirm a room not on the interstate side.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple