“Ironing out the kinks”
Review of The Pie Hole

The Pie Hole
Ranked #5 of 22 Coffee & Tea in Durham
Description: Locally owned and operated by a Triangle couple, this is the first Pie Hole location outside of Los Angeles and it's right here in the Bull City. The Pie Hole offers offers sweet and savory pies made fresh from scratch daily to match their awesome specialty, signature coffee. They also have spiked coffee drinks for those looking for a late night hang out!
Reviewed 13 October 2017

This place is relatively new, and I've been there twice. First time was during their opening weekend and it was crowded. I enjoyed the Earl Grey pie but the homemade lemonade was weak. Second time, my wife and I came for breakfast and got coffee and savory pies. Boy, did we wait a long time. We got our pies well before we got our drinks. Perhaps they were understaffed but it was inexcusable considering they were having a special event with entertainment and giveaways later that day. Even people order drinks to go were waiting a really long time. Prices were also a little higher than at nearby bakeries. Food was good but service needs to improve, not an uncommon complaint for establishments run by first-time restaurateurs. Hope they improve because the concept should work.

Young L, Owner at The Pie Hole, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2017

Thank you for your business and comments. I am sorry that your wait for the drinks was very long. We were experiencing a water pressure issue that morning that caused the coffee brewer and espresso machine to malfunction due to the interior boilers not keeping up with the demand. This should have been communicated to the customers. It has now been repaired and we should not have that issue again. Again, please accept my apologies and hope you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

So this place makes very good pies. Fresh ingredients, quality first, on site not frozen.

We had the shepherds pie (actually cottage pie) and it was sooo beefy and umani. The mexican chocolate and pecan caramel were delicious as well.

With the holidays coming up, impress your friends and family with a whole pie to go. A little expensive maybe but if you pretend you made it, you are really buying respect and that's a deal at any price.

Thank you for your kind comments! We look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed 24 September 2017

This was the grand finale on our Bites of Bull City's 9th Street Food Tour, and I was so glad I still had some room left for this great establishment. The owners were super friendly and spent a lot of time with us explaining their brief history and what they had to offer. Of their savory choices, we thought the mac/cheese and the chicken/cornbread versions were best. For the sweet pies, the salted caramel pecan, maple custard, and blueberry were our favorites. This place is going to be big.

Thank you for your kind comments! I am glad that you enjoyed our great pies. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 17 September 2017

As soon as I saw Pie Hole, I loved the concept. While everyone else is serving ice creams, gelato, gourmet cakes and pastries, here is a place primarily serving the most classic dessert of all -- PIE! Just the thought of a slice of pie and cup of coffee is comforting right? Pie Hole is part of a chain (west coast originally) that offers an array of sweet and savory pies by the slice, with flavors changing seasonally. They also offer muffins and some other non-pie desserts, coffees, beer, wine and specialty alcoholic drinks.

I had Moms Apple Crumble Pie, maybe their most popular. It was mounded with apples inside a flaky, golden brown crust. I believe I heard the owner tell another customer that they use 10 apples for each pie. The semi-thick slices of apples were tender and full of sweet, lightly tart flavor. The crust was delicious, a substantial crust that was not soggy from the juice of the apples, but it was ever so slightly chewy. The crumble topping had a nice consistency with little crunchy bits here and there, but it was not very sweet as I am used to on such pies. And I probably would add a scant more cinnamon. But the apples made up for the lack of topping sweetness. By the time I finished I thought the slice was not mushy, not gooey, no too juicy, not too dry, but really just about where it should be. Maybe not the best I've had, but pretty good. And the single slice was a really good portion. They offered to warm my slice, and I opted for a scoop opt vanilla ice cream to go with it.

The Smores pie was as expected, very sweet, very chocolatey. I thought the chocolate center was a little too airy though, too soft. It had sort of a pudding feel to it. I think the chocolate should be a little more dense. The crust was very nice however. But not bad overall, if you're really after "sweet."

At first we thought the $6 to $7 per slice price seemed high for pie, but it was filling and it was nice sitting on the patio enjoying pie and coffee while watching the sun set. The pies may or may not be the best you've had, but this is the kind of place I can imagine visiting once per week to relax with the sunset, or a little later in the evening while winding down from the day with a glass of wine as well.

We chatted with the owners briefly and they were very nice and made suggestions for what to try on our next visit. They are open for breakfast and lunch too so we'll next try some savory slices.

Thank you for your kind comments! I have passed your comments about the apple pie to our chef. We hope to see you again soon!