“A great romantic getaway”
Review of Sanderling Resort

Sanderling Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Duck
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I have been coming to the Outer Banks since 1971 and from Corolla to Ocracoke this hotel is defiantly one of the gems. When I can't muster the energy or time to drive to Ocracoke, the Sanderling Inn makes a beautiful alternative choice. Nestled in between the sound and the ocean just north of Duck you literally are ensconced between sunrises and sunsets.

We took advantage of a recent Groupon deal and I hope, hope, hope, they will do it again.

ONE drawback and I didn't downgrade them for this but the (outsourced?) telephone reservation system belies the hospitality and true nature of this resort. They tried to sell me upgrades and options in a hustle that made me feel like the Groupon deal was going to be a mistake ("check-in before 4 pm is extra" -- well in the summer I could see that, but with >20% occupancy in February???). Naturally, my first date choice was only available with upgrades, etc. Expecting to have my wallet turned inside out when I got here, I was totally disarmed by the woman at the desk. Call their direct desk number during the day!

The on-the-ground reality was very opposite of what I expected. First, the very warm and helpful front desk woman. Second, this was a genuine good deal -- a "good" bottle of free wine was awaiting us. Two free bottles of water with a welcome note! The free breakfast for two each morning included a 15% gratuity (I still left an additional 20% to the wonderful server Wanda). Warning - the breakfast is not for the feint of heart. It was one of the most robust and tasty Southern breakfasts I have experienced. A little "Sanderling" flashlight at bedside was a nice touch.

As for our room, 101, in the Main Lodge, it is probably the most modest of the rooms but it does not disappoint. It was a decent size and the bathroom was huge. However, the bathroom needs more than one hook in its vast space. The one hook at the shower was taken by my towel for the shower/tub. I had to place my clothes on the granite counters. They must spend a fortune on water conditioning because the water was very good for an area notorious for its hard water.

I found the bed hard to sleep in, it felt short and a little lumpy/hard. My wife, loved it though and thought it to be perfect. The room was clean and cozy. They should consider adding a threshold sweep to the door bottom to stop the light and hall noise from entering the room. Lots of closet space and shelves, luggage racks and bench at the end of the bed. Our deck was full sized and would be a treat in warm weather. While we could only see the dunes from the first floor room we were so close to the ocean we could walk over to it in less than a minute and we could hear the waves breaking even with the windows closed (good noise!).

We had room service one night and the food came from the regular restaurant kitchen, not the upscale restaurant, Well, you could have fooled me. The dinner was great, again very rich and very Southern just like breakfast.

Everyone of the staff we came in contact with was very warm and helpful. Even the lady in the gift shop was gracious. I noticed that when we walked in she closed her magazine (may have been work-related) and tucked it away while we were present. That kind of politeness is what makes a difference. It showed that she was there to assist us should we need it and not an intrusion.

Finally, the beauty of the Outer Banks and lure of the ocean make this a very romantic Inn. It is well-appointed, clean, full of interesting art in the Grand Gallery and lodges and a very nice and warm second floor great room with a fireplace and four volumes of the National Audubon Society's Birds of America are presented under glass. There were lost of shells on the beach and finally we sat and we watched the tiny Sanderlings running back and forth with the surf. This was a special treat -- the winter is the best time to see Sanderlings since they head to breeding grounds in the Arctic over the summer. We were captivate by their show, as they ran along the edge of the surf picking and tumbling in the sand.

We never made it to the spa or indoor pool, maybe next time. I heartily recommend the Sanderling Resort and Spa for a romantic and stressless winter break.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views, ocean or sound side. Call the hotel number direct during the day fo...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank digitscd

Reviewed 4 February 2012

We took advantage of a Groupon deal for this resort. The inn is north of the very quaint town of Duck, NC. The service was top notch. The room was on the first floor of the main inn and had a view of the sun deck (since it's winter, obviously nothing to look at). The room was inviting and cozy. They have a great common area upstairs with plenty of comfy seating and a fire.
I imagine this place is very expensive in season.
There are lots of great attractions nearby: Lighthouses at Bodie Island and Corolla, Aquarium on Roanoke Island, and the Wright Bros. Memorial, all within a 20 minute drive of the inn.

Room Tip: Odd number rooms face the ocean, even the sound. Second floor rooms have view of the ocean. Not su...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank flynnc
Reviewed 19 January 2012

My husband and I hadn't booked a place to stay in early January and the property was referred to me by a co worker. We were driving down from Maryland we after deciding not to stay in Virginia Beach, I called the Sanderling to inquire about availability and rates. The agent on the phone was pleasant and provided the rate. I told him we'd call him back or show up. After arriving in the area and seeing a Holiday Inn Express we decided to stop. The rate was $89.00 for a Sunday night, but we asked for King Room they said they only have queens. So we left. We headed to Sanderling as the rate was quoted was $119 for king bed. We felt we were lost and called and spoke to the same agent and he guided us to the property as the addresses are bit unusual for the area. Upon arrival Travis greeted us and checked us in. I told him it was my birthday which is was (I showed my license) and he said he's give us great room. Travis provided us with a map and gave us an overview of the property. We gathered our bags and went to the room. Upon arrival there was an envelope on the door. Inside was an ornament and birthday card wishing me best wishes. I've been in the hospitality industry 15 years and this is what it is ALL ABOUT!! Our room was amazing with a wonderful deck outside. We were on the first floor so we couldn't see the ocean, but we could hear the waves break. The only suggestion is to move the bed from the wall that can see the door way as the light from the hallway comes in. The bed would be better where the TV was positioned. The bathroom was a great size also. Due to the time of the year we didn't get a chance to enjoy the amenities, but the room product, sheets, and pillows were all excellent. I would highly recommend the property and Travis made it memorable!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lasvegasll
wendycoulsonmurray, Director of Sales at Sanderling Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2012

Please thank your co-worker for recommending us and so glad you found your way down through Duck to the Sanderling to spend your special occasion. We appreciate the recommendation regarding the bed location and will take a look at that. The feedback helps us make future experiences better. We hope you will return soon.

Reviewed 16 January 2012

We stayed at the Sanderling in September for our Anniversary, and it was a beautiful resort. It's very quiet and we had Dinner in town one night at Aqua Restaurant and they had excellent food (creative gourmet/not too expensive). The only issue we had was that we made reservations at the Sanderling Spa, and my aesthetician was late to the appointment - and I did not get my full treatment time. But other than the timing issue the experience at the spa was wonderful.

I would also be careful with the reservation staff - as I called a couple times and was told there were less expensive rooms available, and then they tried to tell me that there were only much more expensive suites available for our stay. When I argued that I had just called and there were less expensive rooms, they magically found rooms available. We stayed in the North Inn, and it was significantly less expensive than staying in the Main Inn - I would recommend it. (basically the same experience, without the extra expense).

Room Tip: If you want to save but still stay at this resort - ask to stay in The North Inn or South Inn. The O...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rosehaus
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We arrived at the Sanderling on a cold, windy winter night in January of 2012. I have been a visitor to the Outer Banks since 1972 but had always stayed in the Kitty Hawk area. The staff was wonderful as was our room. We ate in the restaurant. The menu, service and our meals were excellent. The wine list was as well.

This is the best hotel on the Outer Banks. It will our hotel of choice on the Outer Banks henceforth.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank d0wr1ght
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duck
14.6 km away
25.4 km away
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
Best Western Ocean Reef Suites
#3 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Sanderling Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK