“the ONLY place to stay at chimney rock nc” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Evening Shade River Lodge & Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chimney Rock
Evening Shade River Lodge & Cabins
Shelby, North Carolina
“the ONLY place to stay at chimney rock nc”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2011

beautiful.peaceful.clean. everybody is very friendly.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Gastonia, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

I read the reviews, I looked at the pictures, and based that I booked a room. Upon arriving i found the the rooms were smaller than they appeared in the pictures. They fit two beds in a room that should only have one bed in it. The bathroom you could barely too around in, and I'm not even going to mention closet space because the way I see it my question is... What closet? On a positive note, if all you are looking for is clean and cute draperies and bedding, then you will be satisfied.

I was on my 17th wedding anniversary and I was going to grin and bare it, but then I sat down on the bed and it squeeked... OMG! That did it. I WAS NOT going to stay there! We asked for a refund back and was declined because they have a 48 hour cancellation policy. How convenient!!! I did not cancel! I was not satisfied with the room. We paid $250.00 for a two night stay. I'm sorry, that room was worth that much.

I will say the desk clerk did refund one night's stay and had informed us that the lodge was a 5 star hotel (doesn't have a restaurant, you have to go to the office and ask them for ice) an proceeded to tell us that we wouldn't find anything better in town... We paid a $122.00 for a room we never stayed at, and went down the road not even a half a mile and stayed at a REAL 5 star Hotel with a FINE DINING restaurant and a GAME ROOM and a outside pool/jacuzzi with PROFESSIONS running the establishment. WE FOUND RUSTIC WITH CLASS JUST ONE MINUTE DOWN THE ROAD. So there you have it folks. I suppose it is what meets your expectations whether you want to book a room there or not. One more positive remark. The scenery in the back was extremely nice and pleasing to the eye. Too bad the outside was more alluring than the inside accommodations!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank SusieCaldwell
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

Evening shade is my favorite place to go to unwind, I have never felt more relaxed after going home from a vacation. The rooms are clean, service is wonderful, I always feel at home here.

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
      Rooms
4 Thank shalynnkinley
Charlotte, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

This hotel is right in Chimney Rock outskirts but the definite draw for us was the backyard. There is a very accessible part of the Broad river that you can swim in a swimming hole (waist deep), climb on rocks, and slide down a part of the rocks like a rock slide. It was amazing. The sounds of the river are everywhere and even though it is right on Hwy 64 you couldn't tell because all rooms look out onto the river and it is a great sound.

Hotel folks were great and friendly. If having ice after 10 is important (another review) than this isn't the place for you but if you want a really pretty spot, a very clean room, and an evening fire (complete with aerial bat show) than this is the place for you.

We will be back.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ShiftNC
Charlotte
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2011

My husband and I spent 5 wonderful nights at evening shade. We loved the setting with the river sounds on a continuing flow. We were there for our anniversary and had balloons and a card from the staff. The staff were very friendly and great to talk with. We felt like we were part of the family from the time we got there til the time we left. The grounds were nicely kept and very peaceful. The shops just down the road were wonderful. Some of the shops were not open for the season but there was plenty to do. We asked for recommendations for eating as well as activities and these were wonderful. They were able to schedule the activities as well. This was our first visit but will not be our last. We will be back several times with our friends and family. Evening shade does not have some of the things that a hotel room would but we did not miss that at all we enjoyed the serene setting like a park.

Room Tip: Book as early as possible