“Fabulous stay at Esmeralda Inn, Chimney Rock, N.C.”
Review of The Esmeralda Inn

The Esmeralda Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Chimney Rock
Reviewed 15 July 2017

We thoroughly enjoyed our three night stay at the Esmeralda Inn. The Inn owner, Kim and all her staff were cordial and attentive to our needs. When I asked about decalf coffee, a fresh pot was delivered to our room. Perfect accompaniment to the fresh cookies they had available, in the lobby area.

We stayed in room #2, overlooking the front of the building. It was delightful to sit on the deck in the morning and listen to the nearby river. Sound of auto traffic was evident, but not overwhelming.

The grounds are LOVELY, great attention is given to the lush greenery, shrubs and blooming plants.

The game room was quiet each time we used it.

The interior is a great blend of rustic and attractive decor. The building has a sturdiness about it, that keeps noise level at a minimum.

We look forward to return visits!

Room Tip: If you want the most privacy, ask for a room on the backside of the building.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cushing82
InnkeeperOwner, Owner at The Esmeralda Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2017

Thank you for your kind words about your visit with us at The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant. We are so glad you enjoyed your visit with us. We hope you can visit us again in the near future.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

Very nice inn with rich history! They celebrated their 195th anniversary this year!
Delicious breakfasts from chef. They have rooms in the inn and also cabins. We stayed in the cabin that is near the river. New facilities, nice furniture and cosy interior.
Very friendly personnel and owners.
We have to return here someday and they give special offer for that.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family

Oksana,
Thank you for your review about your visit with us at The Esmeralda Inn & Restaurant. You came all the way from Russia to visit us and we feel very honored that you choose to stay with us. We hope you can visit us again in the future. Thanks again.

Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

Stay here you will love it! Staff is inviting and food is amazing. Beds/linens are super comfy and soft.
Plus it is convenient. Right around the corner to shops, to Lake lure and Chimney rock state Park.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jezabel C

Thank you for your kind words about your visit with us. We are glad that we met your expectations. We hope that you can visit us again soon.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

I absolutely loved this inn! We visited Chimney Rock back in April and stopped in to look at the inn. I fell in love with this place immediately. My boyfriend surprised me with a stay at the inn for my birthday. I loved everything about our stay at Esmeralda's from the greeting we received when we walked in, to our room 309 (bed was so comfortable! We both slept like babies), to the lovely dinner we had in their restaurant. I will definitely be back!!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

We are so glad that you enjoyed your visit with us at The Esmeralda Inn and Restaurant. We hope you will be able to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 28 June 2017

Unfortunately, I have some negative comments, but I'll definitely start with the positives. My husband and I just celebrated our anniversary at their Rocky Broad River Cabin. The views are breath-taking! We opened all of the windows at the back of the cabin and slept so peacefully by the sound of the river just outside, waking up to the same sweet sound (with a few birds singing) and fresh, crisp, cool mountain air. What a way to relieve stress! The cabin was very quiet, beautiful, clean, and well-stocked with dishes, coffee, detergents, towels, toiletries and thick bath robes. The beds are extremely comfortable and promise a good night's rest. Of course, we had the complimentary hot breakfasts each morning, and also had dinner there one night. The food was amazing and so was the wait staff.
This cabin is a 2BR, 2 bath - more than just my husband and I needed. But we made the choice to pay for the extra because we had to bring along our small dog. We do appreciate there being at least one pet-friendly option, but I wish there were smaller rooms for such cases.
Now the negatives, in our opinion. Though the beds were very comfortable, the furniture in the LR was not comfy AT ALL. The sofas pictured on their website are no longer there. There is a wooden chair, wooden bench (no seat cushions on either) and a 2-cushion sofa that we just couldn't find a comfortable position on and had both of our backs in a lot of pain.
Though the (dinner) food at the restaurant was excellent, we did expect a little more for the cost (almost $90 for the 2 of us). We did have to send back dirty utensils and a dirty glass, and I noticed the lady sitting at a table outside have to send back 2-3 dirty wine glasses before she got a clean one. Seemed everyone started with dirty dishes that evening.
The "pool" (jacuzzi) was not available for use while we were there.
The biggest complaint I have is the lack of attention, care and time it took to address an active, football-sized hornet nest in the tree at the ONLY door to go in/out of. Each time we entered or exited the cabin (which was often), we had the stress of bees - and one got in my hair at one time. It's a blessing we didn't get stung! What if we had? What if one of us were allergic to bees? The staff was not very concerned about this - what I consider a big deal. When we first brought it to their attention, the first afternoon there, they said they'd take care of it. We waited and waited. No call. No one took the time to come to the cabin and tell us what was going on or to check it out. So the next morning at breakfast, we mentioned it again, with the same promise from the staff. Still nothing, not a word or an update, all day long. So that evening when we went back for dinner, I expressed my frustration. I was then told that Terminix was on their way and would take care of it. No apologies, nothing. After we finished dinner, Terminix had been there. The nest was still there, but it had been sprayed to get rid of the bees, but in the meantime, it made them angry. So then we had to deal with angry bees until they figured out they couldn't go back into the hive and leave. So this was more than 24 hours after we had first reported the hive, and taken care of on our last night at the cabin. There was absolutely no offer of any kind of compensation for that. But I would have been pleased with a simple, heart-felt, "I'm sorry." I realize the staff at the Esmeralda can't exactly dictate when Teminix would be there to take care of this kind of thing, but at the very least, they could have pretended to care and ask how were doing, take the time to come to the cabin and keep us updated and/or apologize for the terrible inconvenience. I am NOT a bee person! I couldn't even enjoy the small deck on the side of the cabin until the last couple of hours there for fear of the bees...
All of that aside, I choose to view this much-needed getaway as a positive experience and remember that nobody is perfect. I just hope they do much, MUCH better for the next folks who may find themselves in a similar situation (especially if a family member is allergic!).

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
32.0 km away
The Omni Grove Park Inn
The Omni Grove Park Inn
#13 of 66 in Asheville

Been to The Esmeralda Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK